House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the_duke_of_hazzard

Deliberate Tax Avoiders List Updated

And the winner is JKL of wakefield, owing 22 million.  

Is this like some alternative Sunday times rich list?

20 minutes ago, the_duke_of_hazzard said:

It's good to see we're gunning for the big evil tax evading takeaway corporations isn't it? 

I've always said the biggest danger to the future of humanity is Mr Singh not paying VAT on his onion bhajis. 

Honestly. The Googles and Starbucks of the world must see lists like this and laugh their proverbials off. 

2 hours ago, byron78 said:

It's good to see we're gunning for the big evil tax evading takeaway corporations isn't it? 

I've always said the biggest danger to the future of humanity is Mr Singh not paying VAT on his onion bhajis. 

Honestly. The Googles and Starbucks of the world must see lists like this and laugh their proverbials off. 

To be fair, the sums involved do add up. I see some takeaways in the list that have had £85000 fines. Even some of the lower ones are around £30000. Pretty soon, you're talking real money. And if they are published on this list, presumably it's a clear cut case of tax evasion - the situation with Google et al is more nuanced than that (though I agree, they should be paying a lot more).

Edited by dpg50000

Also do not underestimate how much cash based, tax avoiding businesses contribute to serious crime via money laundering.  Cracking down on them doesn't just raise revenue, but also increases costs across the entire black market economy making many crimes (especially drugs) less profitable and hence less common and less violent. 

24 minutes ago, dpg50000 said:

To be fair, the sums involved do add up. I see some takeaways in the list that have had £85000 fines. Even some of the lower ones are around £30000. Pretty soon, you're talking real money. And if they are published on this list, presumably it's a clear cut case of tax evasion - the situation with Google et al is more nuanced than that (though I agree, they should be paying a lot more).

I had a quick look, but I'd say the HMRC are pissing in the wind with some of those fines surely? 

A lot will stem from people no longer in the UK. Surely if you run up that much debt/fines the temptation to bugger off must be extremely high? 

Without meaning to sound racist, a lot of foreign sounding names on that list. 

I'd say zero chance of recovery for most. 

19 minutes ago, Upabove said:

Also do not underestimate how much cash based, tax avoiding businesses contribute to serious crime via money laundering.  Cracking down on them doesn't just raise revenue, but also increases costs across the entire black market economy making many crimes (especially drugs) less profitable and hence less common and less violent. 

Only if your average enterprising drug dealer doesn't know how to set up a limited company and then fold it. 

Drugs will always exist and cracking down on tax avoiding takeaway owners probably isn't the end to "the war on drugs" is it? 

Cannabis will be legal inside 10 years I expect. I'd use it now for pain if I could. A joint for my aching joints makes more sense to me than the hardcore opiates my GP keeps prescribing. 

Anyhoo... that right there will nuke a lot of lower level crime and free up billions from police budgets. 

Not sure they'll do the same with heroin and cocaine, but then I suppose the savings could then be used on treatment and recovery to avoid the pointless "if you're not a junkie when you went to prison, chances are you will be when you come out" system we currently have. Total waste of time. Our correctional facilties are practically a junkie manufacturing line at present. 

22 minutes ago, byron78 said:

I had a quick look, but I'd say the HMRC are pissing in the wind with some of those fines surely? 

A lot will stem from people no longer in the UK. Surely if you run up that much debt/fines the temptation to bugger off must be extremely high? 

Without meaning to sound racist, a lot of foreign sounding names on that list. 

I'd say zero chance of recovery for most. 

Builders, Chinese ebay.amazon traders, and sub-contintental takeaways.

Maybe the way to handle these is to get a tax payment for the year ahead esp. when you are dealign with non Brits.

Id insists that any cash based business -takeaway, nail bar, whatever, staffed by a a non-brit was required to have an insurance indemnity for tax andor immigration fines.

Private sector is better at pricing risks and wot be accused of being ;racist!'

10 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Maybe the way to handle these is to get a tax payment for the year ahead esp. when you are dealign with non Brits.

Id insists that any cash based business -takeaway, nail bar, whatever, staffed by a a non-brit was required to have an insurance indemnity for tax andor immigration fines.

Surely a lot of it is VAT avoidance? 

Not sure how you could ask someone to pay value added tax on goods/services they haven't actually sold yet. 

Maybe insist VAT is paid more frequently than once a year? Mandatory sign-ups to the VAT annual accounting scheme for non-Brits? Could work. 

12 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Surely a lot of it is VAT avoidance? 

Not sure how you could ask someone to pay value added tax on goods/services they haven't actually sold yet. 

Maybe insist VAT is paid more frequently than once a year? Mandatory sign-ups to the VAT annual accounting scheme for non-Brits? Could work. 

Maybe monthy VAT returns?

20 hours ago, byron78 said:

No brainer isn't it? 

30k minimum wage.

No person allowed in to operate as a cash business - taxi driver or takeaway. All employment must be PAYE with a registered firm.

Sorted.

22 hours ago, spyguy said:

Another question could be, why don’t White people open retail outlets?

Thatchers dad used to own a green grocery shop

Edited by prozac

14 minutes ago, prozac said:

Another question could be, why don’t White people open retail outlets?

Thatchers dad used to own a green grocery shop

Going by the current set of shops - they dont have relatives to smuggle in black fags and knock off vodka.

And they dont have a foreign country to escape to when the shop gets raided.

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Going by the current set of shops - they dont have relatives to smuggle in black fags and knock off vodka.

And they dont have a foreign country to escape to when the shop gets raided.

We also don’t move in a entrepreneurial environment, seems to be sports and alcohol 

2 hours ago, Trump Invective said:

Haha is this list some kind of joke? "Corner Shop" as a kind of business??

Get 'em all banged up anyway, but let's go for some big players. Or are they too scary?

The 'big ones' aren't doing anythign illegal. If they were then theyd be on the list.

The smalls ones are - very illegal - see the illegal vodka shop that  the dumb kurds blew up, with people in the flat.

As it stand, the only big co I think is scamming is is the like of Starbucks. Amazon at the mo, is providing a large number of products and services at the cost of its share holders.

16 hours ago, spyguy said:

The 'big ones' aren't doing anythign illegal. If they were then theyd be on the list.

The smalls ones are - very illegal - see the illegal vodka shop that  the dumb kurds blew up, with people in the flat.

As it stand, the only big co I think is scamming is is the like of Starbucks. Amazon at the mo, is providing a large number of products and services at the cost of its share holders.

Yeah. 

Starbucks and Co don't technically do anything illegal. 

It's their knock-on effects to the economy. 

Amazon must have closed thousands of proper old skool full tax-paying stores in the UK alone. 

It's inevitable progress of course but it has kicked big holes in parts of our economy. 

17 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Yeah. 

Starbucks and Co don't technically do anything illegal. 

It's their knock-on effects to the economy. 

Amazon must have closed thousands of proper old skool full tax-paying stores in the UK alone. 

It's inevitable progress of course but it has kicked big holes in parts of our economy. 

Well ... with the coffee companies, looking at CorpTax is pointless.

CorpTax provides f-all in terms of tax.

However ..... coffee cos will be paying a lot of pay roll and VAT.

Looking at CorpTax is nuts - its payroll and consumption taxes that do the heavy taxing.

Amazon ... I think youll find the major driver of sjop closures is LL and upward only rents.

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Well ... with the coffee companies, looking at CorpTax is pointless.

CorpTax provides f-all in terms of tax.

However ..... coffee cos will be paying a lot of pay roll and VAT.

Looking at CorpTax is nuts - its payroll and consumption taxes that do the heavy taxing.

Amazon ... I think youll find the major driver of sjop closures is LL and upward only rents.

I don't know. 

I know several store owners who owned their premises who gave up as things shifted toward the internet and sales dropped. 

I own a few shops myself and have always let them out for well below going rate (I inherited the portfolio, I didn't buy it). Even then, the only one that has stuck around is a charity shop. 

No one suggested the government spend less money; then cut the rate so it's not worth evading. 

Can't really blame the Mr singh 's of this world for refusing to pay tax when big Corpovations like amazon and Starbucks  don't.