House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PeanutButter

More than £100bn of UK property is secretly owned

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/mar/17/100-billion-of-uk-propert-secretly-owned-anonymous-firms-tax-havens

More than £100bn of property in England and Wales is secretly owned, new analysis suggests. More than 87,000 properties are owned by anonymous companies registered in tax havens, research by the transparency group Global Witness reveals.

The analysis reveals that 40% of the properties are in London. Cadogan Square in Knightsbridge, where the average property costs £3m, hosts at least 134 secretly owned properties. Buckingham Palace Road is also home to a large number, with a combined estimated value of £350m.

Who cares? 

The only argument I can see is about foreigners owning property.

But if tptb know what you've got , taxing it off you won't be far behind. 

I'm amazed how bitterly people complain about being ripped off themselves, but are always happy for the government to take it off others, and give it to worthy causes including usually (at item 5)  themselves. 

Who cares if Fred blogs owns number x cadogan square, is avoiding tax whenever he gets the chance, and his maid is running a massage parlour out of the premises in his absence? 

1 hour ago, 24gray24 said:

Who cares? 

I'm amazed how bitterly people complain about being ripped off themselves, but are always happy for the government to take it off others, and give it to worthy causes including usually (at item 5)  themselves. 

Who cares if Fred blogs owns number x cadogan square, is avoiding tax whenever he gets the chance, and his maid is running a massage parlour out of the premises in his absence? 

Does Fred Blogs maid look like this, and how much does she charge, asking for a friend1950s_Maid_large.jpg?v=1510626971

1 hour ago, 24gray24 said:

Who cares? 

If you want a low tax society that's fine, nothing wrong with that opinion. But low taxes should be for everybody, not just rich people with fancy lawyers.

17 hours ago, 24gray24 said:

Who cares? 

I care. 

Firstly I may be paying more tax because someone vastly wealthier than I had avoided it. 

Secondly, this person may have bought the property for the very purpose of avoiding tax, creating additional and artificial demand for properties. This distorts the market and reduces the properties available for owner occupiers.