House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
faptastic

How much for changes to a new build

Okay so I’m going for a new build house, I’m sale agreed on it. It’s not in huge development it’s one of two houses side by side that a developer has built and marketed himself. I would like some changes to it. While with bigger new-build developments there are standard prices for commonly requested changes (eg more sockets, moving an oil tank), I want those kind of things and another thing and have no idea of how much they cost. 

I’d like another pair of sockets in every room.

1. Any know price per socket of adding these? 

Also, inexplicably it seems, they’ve put the oil tank in the middle of the garden. I want it moved to the corner. But they’ve a cement platform built for the current one, so that would need destroyed and reseeded as grass and rebuilt in the corner location. It’s empty of oil.

2. Any idea of how much this would cost?

I also want the main bathroom made into a Jack & Jill bathroom ( ie accessible from the two bedrooms on either side of it by doors). This then means that the en-suite from the master bedroom has to become the main bathroom. This would involve the following:

knocking through a wall on one side to put in a door

knocking through a wall on the other side to put in a door

boarding up the door that allows you to access this bathroom from the hall

Boarding up the door into the en-suite

knocking through a wall in the hall to put in a door so that the en-suite is now accessible from a general area

3. Any idea how much this would cost (ie knocking through 3 walls to add 3 new doorways and boarding up 2 doors & replastering, etc)

4. Finally depending on the costs, I might want to add these expenses on to the mortgage... I’m imagining that’s possible, right? I haven’t finalised the amount I’m borrowing yet. 

Any intell on coin welcome, thanks.

Not much help but I'm currently engaging with our electrician so should have costs for additional sockets etc.. within the next week or two.
Are you wiring your house with network points? Cat5/6?

osts largely depend on what stage the house is at. For example if the electrical work is not done yet then an extra scoket should be fairly cheap. however if the house is plastered and someone has to come back and retrack then that is a big mess and price. Sometimes it can be easily managed if you can back to back. IF one new socket in a bedroom, in the same position as one on the opposite side of the wall in another bedroom.

Same goes for the aditional door to teh En suite

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:50, faptastic said:

I think there might be one network point in the living area. That’s for the internet right? Might I need more than one of those?

I wired my whole house with Cat 6 and ran network points to nearly every room, some people will think that's OTT but i'm trying to future proof and not rely on a WIFI signal.

I've received costs for electrical upgrade and it was approx. £35 per double socket downstairs and slightly more for upstairs., outside socket £55. £2k in total for upgrades but well worth it in my opinion.

Just to note, it's doubtful you'll be able to add the extras on a mortgage particularly if it's a new build estate where your buying one of many of the same type. Its It's unlikely to pass valuation. Adding 5k of extras, saying it's worth 5k more than the one nextdoor might not pass survey. You can always give it a go. Fine if you're on a free survey product but not good if you're paying. 

Just to put costs in perspective I paid around 4k inclusive of VAT (remember not VAT on nee build) for a full rewire on a period property. There was a good amount of tracking for the extra sockets and cat 6. I added sockets everywhere and installed heat/smoke detectors, 4 patio plugs and a nest thermostat. In saying that sparks weren't as busy then and I used country tradesmen. 

I too wired my house with CAT5 but since realised it was a waste/ Wi-Fi has come on so much and most of the devices are mobilr anyway. if doing it again I would have limited it to the main TV locations.

39 minutes ago, BelfastVI said:

I too wired my house with CAT5 but since realised it was a waste/ Wi-Fi has come on so much and most of the devices are mobilr anyway. if doing it again I would have limited it to the main TV locations.

This is cat 6. It's future proof. 1 gigabit as opposed to 10 gigabit. I admit it's a bit overkill. Kids, 4k I think it will make sense in the future. If I'm not here someone else will get the use of it.