House Price Crash Forum

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/families-financial-shock-bills-gas-electric-council-tax-water-rise/

3 years ago I was paying 8.4p per kWh of electricity with sainsbury's, right now it seems 14p per kWh is good price. I'm in several groups on Facebook about saving money. Recently, I've noticed an increase of topics, regarding oweing utility companies money.

Even if mortgage rates stay low, if fuel prices keep rising, sooner or later people will sell up, could act as driver if a crash occurs.

I guess it could also act as the social cleansing policies we've seen.

This is one reason why it's dumb to lock in one component of the cost of living at a record high proportion of income (e.g. housing eating up 40% of take home pay). You have no guarantee that one of the other components (tax, food, energy) won't start rising as a percentage of income. In the 1970s people were spending 20% or so of their income on food, now it's almost too cheap to meter.

But Big Oil and Gas shills keep telling us fossil fuels are the only energy we can rely on and that investment in clean renewables is pointless. Surely they can't be lying?

Council tax is the nasty one...whopping increases coming...and grossly unfair and regressive. 

8 hours ago, Wayward said:

Council tax is the nasty one...whopping increases coming...and grossly unfair and regressive. 

I just got my new CT bill in. Huge 10.4% increase to the Norfolk Police & Crime Commissioner. Despite the Police not being visible in my city. This amount has almost caught up to what I'm paying my local authority (3% increase).

Plus £64.03 to Adult Social Care which I think is a new item added to council tax.

Household bills and transport we all have to pay are clearly being rapidly increased..... inflation set in. After we leave can and will get worse imo........for the few their pay rises might just about cover the increases, for the rest outgoing increases are catching up and ready to overtake and exceed any income increases.......time to spend less on what we do not need, cut down and back, do things differently but better and more eco friendly.....so some businesses will gain, many others will lose..... discretionary v nondiscretionary spending.....sorry not going out, sorry can't work for you, sorry not buying that from you..... can't afford it;)

36 minutes ago, winkie said:

Household bills and transport we all have to pay are clearly being rapidly increased..... inflation set in. After we leave can and will get worse imo........for the few their pay rises might just about cover the increases, for the rest outgoing increases are catching up and ready to overtake and exceed any income increases.......time to spend less on what we do not need, cut down and back, do things differently but better and more eco friendly.....so some businesses will gain, many others will lose..... discretionary v nondiscretionary spending.....sorry not going out, sorry can't work for you, sorry not buying that from you..... can't afford it;)

Not entirely true. Petrol prices went up and down, and are now no higher than in 2010. Cars are plentiful and cheap (as long as you don't insist on new). The Govt could help by lowering motoring taxes and moving the MOT to biannual.

Gas and electricity prices have gone up for a variety of reasons - World gas prices have risen, and domestic supplies reduced (we rely heavily on gas for electricity generation), more of our electricity comes from renewables which are not cheap (importing wood pellets from Canada cannot be cheap, and wind turbine power is actually quite expensive, and its real long term economics are unclear (IMHO). There is then the cost of installing useless smart meters, and the way the consumer market works has been changed so that there will be less ability of supply companies to offer cheap deals to some customers online, while charging less savvy customers much more.

Council tax has been under pressure for years. Current rises are (I presume) are due to increasing old age care, increasing council pension provision, housing illegal immigrant children (in Kent where I live), long term inefficiencies in the police force, and general increases in the complexity of running local government in the face of new rules and regulations imposed by Westminster. But Council tax is not so regrassive because there is a heavy central government subsidy to local authorities, which is paid from progrssive income tax.

1 hour ago, MattW said:

I just got my new CT bill in. Huge 10.4% increase to the Norfolk Police & Crime Commissioner. Despite the Police not being visible in my city. This amount has almost caught up to what I'm paying my local authority (3% increase).

Plus £64.03 to Adult Social Care which I think is a new item added to council tax.

Read it and weep Norfolk Council Annual Report

Remuneration from page 68, interesting they have decided not to list the detailed comparison of individual pay between years for senior officers. Why isn't the £210k in the grouped comparison that stops at £175k?

3 minutes ago, onlooker said:

Not entirely true. Petrol prices went up and down, and are now no higher than in 2010. Cars are plentiful and cheap (as long as you don't insist on new). The Govt could help by lowering motoring taxes and moving the MOT to biannual.

Gas and electricity prices have gone up for a variety of reasons - World gas prices have risen, and domestic supplies reduced (we rely heavily on gas for electricity generation), more of our electricity comes from renewables which are not cheap (importing wood pellets from Canada cannot be cheap, and wind turbine power is actually quite expensive, and its real long term economics are unclear (IMHO). There is then the cost of installing useless smart meters, and the way the consumer market works has been changed so that there will be less ability of supply companies to offer cheap deals to some customers online, while charging less savvy customers much more.

Council tax has been under pressure for years. Current rises are (I presume) are due to increasing old age care, increasing council pension provision, housing illegal immigrant children (in Kent where I live), long term inefficiencies in the police force, and general increases in the complexity of running local government in the face of new rules and regulations imposed by Westminster. But Council tax is not so regrassive because there is a heavy central government subsidy to local authorities, which is paid from progrssive income tax.

I wouldn't want a biannual MOT until the holes and sunken drain covers in the roads are sorted or become much rarer than they are just now. An older car can become dangerous in weeks.

As this neglect is a device for transferring costs from councils onto drivers and may have a positive effect on bogus GDP I expect progress in this area to be fairly modest.

The thing is, my Council Tax/Electricity/Water/Internet bills are less than 1/3 of my rent. So even if they go up a bit, for the same overall impact on my finances they would need to go up by 3 times rent/mortgage. 

Council Tax has gone up a bit the last few years, particularly with the extra social care charge and police, but before that it was static or low increases for a long time. Electricity is creeping up now, though again compared to 40 years ago is cheap and new appliances/lights use less. Water (particularly drainage) does go up a bit again from a low base, Internet is much the same price it has always been if you shop around.

Edited by Tulip_mania

25 minutes ago, onlooker said:

Central government are cutting their funding to councils so your tax bill is going up despite the Tory propaganda of being the part of low taxes.

So they're going away from the model where the richer in society help pay more, to shifting the burden directly onto the poorer in society.

Just now, onlooker said:

Petrol prices vary a lot.....not that long ago less than £1 litre......zig zag rising constantly.......car tax and insurance increasing as is pay to drive in London and soon at a place near you.....cars are cheaper because of over supply, massive excess.......soon will be priced out of diesel and petrol cars to keep people buying and borrowing something new, huge problem then of disposal/scrappage of something that works perfectly well.

Electricity and Gas has been rising very fast over last few years.....the price per kWh and standing charges..... those with the least often paying the most, those that can't switch, those who are elderly, those without internet or smart phone.......they subsidise the movers, loyalty has never paid..... existing rollover customers get the worst deals, some deals can only be purchased as a collective....over 1year fixed deals are expensive telling you more increases to come........why do we not make enough of our own energy, importing it means have to pay the price that is asked of us, we are subsidising fuel costs of people living  in other places....smart meters are a total waste of money, they do not benefit the consumer who is paying for it, it benefits the energy companies who can monitor usage and do away with meter readers jobs...... Council tax will only go up and up....was calculated on rateable values of property 1991......some of the most expensive properties now pay the least council tax......£500 to £1000 less for same banding....all the while it is cut, cut, cut.......water another monopoly, we all need clean water to live.....as long as we know what is coming we can be half prepared. .....Growing excrssive debt = default or inflation or both.;)

Council tax is regressive and was designed to be such when it replaced the rates(as a sort of poll tax light). Unlike the rates or US state taxes, it doesnt seek to link the amount paid to the direct value of the property. You then get the sittuation where somebody with a five million pound property in kensington pays roughly the same a year as somebody with a terrace worth a hundred grand in blackburn. Relocate both properties to a US state with typical one percent of value tax then one pays a thousand a year and the other fifty thousand. 

Then their is the fact that properties have not been re evaluated or bands altered to reflect houseprice inflation since john majors government, for political reasons, then this magnifies regressive nature further. 

1 hour ago, winkie said:

Petrol prices vary a lot.....not that long ago less than £1 litre......zig zag rising constantly.......car tax and insurance increasing as is pay to drive in London and soon at a place near you.....cars are cheaper because of over supply, massive excess.......soon will be priced out of diesel and petrol cars to keep people buying and borrowing something new, huge problem then of disposal/scrappage of something that works perfectly well.

Electricity and Gas has been rising very fast over last few years.....the price per kWh and standing charges..... those with the least often paying the most, those that can't switch, those who are elderly, those without internet or smart phone.......they subsidise the movers, loyalty has never paid..... existing rollover customers get the worst deals, some deals can only be purchased as a collective....over 1year fixed deals are expensive telling you more increases to come........why do we not make enough of our own energy, importing it means have to pay the price that is asked of us, we are subsidising fuel costs of people living  in other places....smart meters are a total waste of money, they do not benefit the consumer who is paying for it, it benefits the energy companies who can monitor usage and do away with meter readers jobs...... Council tax will only go up and up....was calculated on rateable values of property 1991......some of the most expensive properties now pay the least council tax......£500 to £1000 less for same banding....all the while it is cut, cut, cut.......water another monopoly, we all need clean water to live.....as long as we know what is coming we can be half prepared. .....Growing excrssive debt = default or inflation or both.;)

Petrol prices don't vary in the UK as much as in the USA, because in the UK, 75% of the price is tax, so is essentially fixed. Pay to drive in London or workplace parking tax doesn't affect me. Cars used to last about 10 years max, my immediate family have 3 with ages between 16 and 10 years, all still going strong, but the oldest has high road tax because of Govt policy to make larger engined petrol vehicles expensive. Govt has not yet got the balls to make internal combustion engines illegal, making us all buy expensive battery cars, but it may happen.

People without internet etc used to pay more for gas and electricity, but the Govt has capped the higher tariffs. By the same argument, they should cap prices in shops, because people who buy online have an unfair advantage. OK?

How would we make more of our own energy? Imported fossil fuels are still by far the cheapest source of energy. British coal mines are uneconomic and cannot get planning permission, same with fracked gas. Nuclear - look at Hinkley Point costs. Solar - very small scale, and the UK is not noted for being sunny. Wind - IMHO the jury is still out on long term costs. It needs gas as a back-up when the wind don't blow, which brings costs of its own. IMHO the Govt could vastly reduce our CO2 emissions by telling everyone to turn their thermostat down 2 degrees, or why not ban central heating entirely?

As to council tax, some of the points you make are correct, but we already have a vastly progressive and redistributive national taxation scheme. Council tax should not be used to be redistributive, it should be a levy on all adults to pay for local services, as was always the idea.

Edited by onlooker
Changed with to without, my mistake

14 minutes ago, nothernsoul said:

Council tax is regressive and was designed to be such when it replaced the rates(as a sort of poll tax light). Unlike the rates or US state taxes, it doesnt seek to link the amount paid to the direct value of the property. You then get the sittuation where somebody with a five million pound property in kensington pays roughly the same a year as somebody with a terrace worth a hundred grand in blackburn. Relocate both properties to a US state with typical one percent of value tax then one pays a thousand a year and the other fifty thousand. 

Then their is the fact that properties have not been re evaluated or bands altered to reflect houseprice inflation since john majors government, for political reasons, then this magnifies regressive nature further. 

I don't get the revaluation argument. Council tax should not be designed to raise the maximum amount for the Chancellor based on those who improve their houses. Council costs are essentially those spent locally according to a set of Govt laid down rules and standards for services. That cost is then divided up between the properties in that area. Revaluation would just reflect the relative increase/decrease in value of houses.

4 hours ago, MattW said:

Police element is mostly for their  pensions.

As utility bills and living costs rise......other nonessential purchases will be cut......some might still choose to borrow what they haven't got, those who can will spend the house.;)

Edited by winkie

6 hours ago, MattW said:

Funding the internet police has to come from somewhere. Who else is going to take action over people people saying something mildly derogatory about Islam. 

3 hours ago, onlooker said:

IMHO the Govt could vastly reduce our CO telling everyone to turn their thermostat down 2 degrees, or why not ban central heating entirely?

Sounds like a glorious future for us workers, comrade- Domicile heating violation records and enforcement will be good for a few jobs and more taxy taxy.

Go to work to keep warm....earn money to save money......only the wealthy will be able to afford to keep spare rooms with no income comming in to heat them.......;)

On 3/9/2019 at 7:56 AM, prozac said:

?

Well if your utilities are constantly going up in price, but you can't afford them, eventually you'll have not choice but to move to cheaper area.

21 minutes ago, Speed1987 said:

Well if your utilities are constantly going up in price, but you can't afford them, eventually you'll have not choice but to move to cheaper area.

How does that make any sense?;)

1 hour ago, Speed1987 said:

So in your considered opinion utilities are lower in a cheaper area.

Jesus wept 

On 09/03/2019 at 07:29, MattW said:

CT rises are becoming absurd. It is not normal or acceptable for things to rise in this manner. It's akin to the train tickets going up every year.

Eventually things are going to hit a wall and mass civil unrest will start.

And of course the more money they take in CT and other bills, the less there is to keep the consumer economy going. So the country is effectively cutting its own throat.

Edited by Errol