House Price Crash Forum
prozac

Everything seems to be stopping

Is it just me, but I have started to notice that everything seems to be stopping.

i mean business activity.

i have never experienced this before.

Edited by prozac

2 minutes ago, Errol said:

Are you having a stroke?

If two more people diagnose that then I am having a beer, and anyone in the vicinity of Holloway Road can join me

But seriously, I agree. Activity has been stopping for a while now and this is reflected in all the numbers coming out of the US, Europe and China.

No shortage of estates being built in either Surrey or Bicester. Seen it with my own eyes.

In reply to the OP, yes there seems to be a slowing down of almost everything.  As evidence I seem to be getting more and more inducements to spend form online retailers - each offer better than the last.  On my rare forays into town it seems quieter than it used to be.  Most economic indicators seem to be heading south apart from employment data but we all know how that is being 'cooked' by our lovely leaders.

At the moment its like the reverse of one of those scenes in a Sci-Fi film where we are about to go to light speed - instead of rushing towards a single bright point we are crawling into a Black Hole.

17 minutes ago, prozac said:

If two more people diagnose that then I am having a beer, and anyone in the vicinity of Holloway Road can join me

are you one of those hells angels lookalike oaps at the big red bar ... whatever its called ?

cool. i like that place. can i take a rain check?

Trickle up economics has a hard time working when people are subject to stagnating wages, increasing (not any more) house prices and other costs like council tax increasing.  All while receiving a reduction in services and the quality of those services and goods.

Those who have the money at the top hoard it.

1 hour ago, prozac said:

buy some kevlar 

10 years of recession (the crisis never ended) and everyone has learnt to live with less

less people want overtime, less people wants useless stuff. 

flashy cars are meaningless when only poor people buy them, just ‘moron markers’ now 

if anything people just want average lives, sadly average people can no longer afford average houses. 

1 hour ago, chronyx said:

No shortage of estates being built in either Surrey or Bicester. Seen it with my own eyes.

I bet the sales have stopped, if you ave the time give them a call and see, I bet they start chasing you if they think you are a potential purchaser.

It feels like that in the property market round here 

I have never seen so little for sale.

People holding onto their treasure rather than risk giving it away before the brexit deal BOOM

Edited by Fromage Frais

3 hours ago, dougless said:

In reply to the OP, yes there seems to be a slowing down of almost everything.  As evidence I seem to be getting more and more inducements to spend form online retailers - each offer better than the last.  On my rare forays into town it seems quieter than it used to be.  Most economic indicators seem to be heading south apart from employment data but we all know how that is being 'cooked' by our lovely leaders.

At the moment its like the reverse of one of those scenes in a Sci-Fi film where we are about to go to light speed - instead of rushing towards a single bright point we are crawling into a Black Hole.

Life expectancy is falling too. A trend rather than a blip.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/07/life-expectancy-slumps-by-five-months

No is the short answer. I haven't noticed business activity grinding to a halt. 

People are now bored of Brexit and getting on with their lives. 

Housing is grinding to a halt. 

But everything else is carrying on like March 2008: some people looking at each other. Most oblivious.  

That's  personal impression this area. 

6 hours ago, prozac said:

Is it just me, but I have started to notice that everything seems to be stopping.

i mean business activity.

i have never experienced this before.

I agree with you - there seems a definite lull.

However, I think to be honest it's because we're days away from Brexit with no obvious deal in sight, and everyone is awaiting the outcome.  Why would you make a major purchase or investment decision now, when holding off just a few days could bring so much more certainty?  If I ran a business I'd want to be doing NOTHING until I knew more about the Brexit outcome.

I've noticed a dramatic reduction in the number of people in and around the tube/rail station in central London during rush hour. Waterloo city line used to have people queuing up the stairs but now you're able to walk right up and get on the next train. 

18 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

10 years of recession (the crisis never ended) and everyone has learnt to live with less

less people want overtime, less people wants useless stuff. 

flashy cars are meaningless when only poor people buy them, just ‘moron markers’ now 

if anything people just want average lives, sadly average people can no longer afford average houses. 

Agree with this. 

My wife and I are watching our propensity to save be eroded away. We have just about milked every cost saving. 

Council tax bill for 2019-20 came this morning. The *****s have put it up 4.7%. That alone will eat up a quarter of my usual 1% pay rise after tax. 

6 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Agree with this. 

My wife and I are watching our propensity to save be eroded away. We have just about milked every cost saving. 

Council tax bill for 2019-20 came this morning. The *****s have put it up 4.7%. That alone will eat up a quarter of my usual 1% pay rise after tax. 

This does no apply to you.

you and your wife are not normal, you have savings in excess of £500k, so please don’t plead poverty 

1 minute ago, prozac said:

This does no apply to you.

you and your wife are not normal, you have savings in excess of £500k, so please don’t plead poverty 

I am not pleading poverty oh Strawman. I am simply stating that we are observing our propensity to save being eroded. 

We have middle incomes which are stagnant and are watching those incomes be eroded away by inflation 

I have savings by virtue of selling a house plus some investments - that is a separate issue

14 hours ago, scottbeard said:

I agree with you - there seems a definite lull.

However, I think to be honest it's because we're days away from Brexit with no obvious deal in sight, and everyone is awaiting the outcome.  Why would you make a major purchase or investment decision now, when holding off just a few days could bring so much more certainty?  If I ran a business I'd want to be doing NOTHING until I knew more about the Brexit outcome.

The outcome is almost certain to be 'No real change ' as either the leave deadline will be extended or we'll get May's 'deal' which means that virtually nothing changes other than losing voting power in Brussels in return for a little bit more flexibility with regard to the EU rules on an open-ended basis which can only be changed with mutual consent of both parties.

It's pretty clear that MPs (who on the whole never wanted to leave anyway) will not let a 'no deal Brexit' happen.  May clearly didn't want to leave either and is determined to deliver Brexit 'in name only'.  At some stage the remoaners will swing behind May as they realise that they get pretty much everything that they wanted and it leaves the UK in a state where a future re-entry to full membership would be very easy.

40 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

If I ran a business I'd want to be doing NOTHING until I knew more about the Brexit outcome.

I run a business you cannot just do nothing and wait - since the vote i have increased turnover/profit/staff numbers -  less than 5% of the companies in the Uk do any business whatsoever with the EU 

40 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

It's pretty clear that MPs (who on the whole never wanted to leave anyway) will not let a 'no deal Brexit' happen.  May clearly didn't want to leave either and is determined to deliver Brexit 'in name only'.  At some stage the remoaners will swing behind May as they realise that they get pretty much everything that they wanted and it leaves the UK in a state where a future re-entry to full membership would be very easy.

in total agreement