House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spyguy

Even the Royal hate LLs...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6779851/Prince-William-vows-stand-against-slum-landlords.html

'A sadder side to Blackpool': Prince William vows to take a stand against slum landlords as he and Kate are left 'deeply affected' on visit one of Britain's most deprived streets

• Prince William vowed to stand against slum landlords after a visit to Blackpool 
  • He and Kate were 'deeply affected' after having a tour of mould-ridden houses 
  • They were highlighting troubling issues surrounding multiple occupancy homes 

14 minutes ago, spyguy said:

"Hang on - you mean your family has fewer houses than people? How does that work?"

So what's he going to do, apart from pull a sad-face? Announce his intent to scale back the scope and size of the Royal Family, and gift some most of their land and properties back? (around 3% of Britain iirc?)

14 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

So what's he going to do, apart from pull a sad-face? Announce his intent to scale back the scope and size of the Royal Family, and gift some most of their land and properties back? (around 3% of Britain iirc?)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

23 minutes ago, spyguy said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6779851/Prince-William-vows-stand-against-slum-landlords.html

'A sadder side to Blackpool': Prince William vows to take a stand against slum landlords as he and Kate are left 'deeply affected' on visit one of Britain's most deprived streets

• Prince William vowed to stand against slum landlords after a visit to Blackpool 
  • He and Kate were 'deeply affected' after having a tour of mould-ridden houses 

For the best part of twenty years the council created and fed the problem by taking thousands of vulnerable (usually that meant rootless druggies/alcoholics/mentally ill) tenants from other councils all around the North West to fill the empty properties. To no great surprise this created a downward spiral in large areas of central Blackpool, areas that are now probably beyond saving and will eventually need to be demolished.

I wonder if the council officer showing round the Royal couple explained this to them.

Sadly when anyone who is in a privileged position expresses sympathy for those less fortunate some others just make witless comments like " why don't you give them all your money then" 

To be fair, the Royal Family probably spend more time with the kinds of people who might end up living in HMO's (eg soldiers, etc) than Blairite New Labour types like Cherie Blair.  The latters' aim in life seems to be to amass Buy to Let properties and become landlords to the poor (and increasingly the 'middle class', aka the poor).

6 minutes ago, Ballyk said:

To be fair, the Royal Family probably spend more time with the kinds of people who might end up living in HMO's (eg soldiers, etc) than Blairite New Labour types like Cherie Blair.  The latters' aim in life seems to be to amass Buy to Let properties and become landlords to the poor (and increasingly the 'middle class', aka the poor).

It's long been the orthodoxy that the upper class and the working class have always got on with each other better than either of them have with the middle-class.

As far as I could tell from the article and video, the flats looked as if they had been trashed and graffiti sprayed on walls.

Who could have done that I wonder to myself - previous tenants whilst being rented out? by squatters? or by local yobs who have broken in when the building was unoccupied?

I can't really see how the Landlord can be blamed for this?

52 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

It's long been the orthodoxy that the upper class and the working class have always got on with each other better than either of them have with the middle-class.

I wonder why?

1 hour ago, tomandlu said:

Yeah, both spend all day blaming each other for not doing enough work.

Whereas the 'educated' middle-class have 'careers', and blame the other two for all that's wrong in the world.

Edited by Captain Kirk
typos

2 minutes ago, prozac said:

I wonder why?

Because the middle-class are too worried about being mistaken for working-class, and too desperate to suck up to the upper class was my dad's theory, but he talked a lot of ******, so...

8 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

Because the middle-class are too worried about being mistaken for working-class, and too desperate to suck up to the upper class was my dad's theory, but he talked a lot of ******, so...

My theory is the working class and upper class don’t come into contact much with each other, but they both have scrapes with the middle class.

living in Islington my experience is the yummy mummies despise the working class with a vengeance, they are scared to talk with them in case the poverty rubs off.

Interesting to see this spun from the perspective it is in the papers  concerned (Daily Fail as linked and the Express front page that unfortunately, briefly polluted my gaze earlier) - both bastions of boomer priviledge and purveyors of false-class-consciousness propaganda..

4 hours ago, tomandlu said:

at what point do working class people become upper or middle class at what wealth point ? or do they never become that just rich 😉

Being middle class is the most precarious, it is the only class you can fall out of. A titled aristocrat may end up penniless but they are still an aristocrat. That is one reason why british are so obsessed with houseprices, along with your job, where you live is one of the determining factors of being middle class. The fear of getting the house repossessed isnt just the obvious ones of losing ones home, or financial repercussions, but also the psychological factor of being declassed. 

Everyone I know in real life who considers themselves middle class has to work for a living, they don’t have a choice in the matter.

ergo they are working class.

1 hour ago, nothernsoul said:

Being middle class is the most precarious, it is the only class you can fall out of. A titled aristocrat may end up penniless but they are still an aristocrat. That is one reason why british are so obsessed with houseprices, along with your job, where you live is one of the determining factors of being middle class. The fear of getting the house repossessed isnt just the obvious ones of losing ones home, or financial repercussions, but also the psychological factor of being declassed. 

a family not far from me has been wiped out by the husband and father killing his wife and daughter by stabbing them to death. Turns out proud daddy made some bad financial decisions and could not keep up with his neighbors anymore so instead of accepting failure he kills the lot then himself.

I guess the control freak thought it was his duty to end their life as he could not look after helpless people.  

27 minutes ago, longgone said:

a family not far from me has been wiped out by the husband and father killing his wife and daughter by stabbing them to death. Turns out proud daddy made some bad financial decisions and could not keep up with his neighbors anymore so instead of accepting failure he kills the lot then himself. 

I guess the control freak thought it was his duty to end their life as he could not look after helpless people.   

You will rarely, if ever, see any mention of whether people like this were on medication, serving neither the perspective for or against. i.e. If he wasn't he should have been because that would have prevented it or if he was he shouldn't have been because the medication caused it.

At some point he may have been given psychiatric intervention and medication. Might be an SSRI induced psychosis.

http://ssristories.net/archive/indexb6a1.html?sort=date&p=

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11235925

Of if someone is on the other side of the fence, he should have been medicated, which may have stopped it happening, or if he was on medication already then he should have been and it would have happened anyway. Like I give a F*** anymore anyway.

35 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

You will rarely, if ever, see any mention of whether people like this were on medication, serving neither the perspective for or against. i.e. If he wasn't he should have been because that would have prevented it or if he was he shouldn't have been because the medication caused it.

At some point he may have been given psychiatric intervention and medication. Might be an SSRI induced psychosis.

http://ssristories.net/archive/indexb6a1.html?sort=date&p=

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11235925

Of if someone is on the other side of the fence, he should have been medicated, which may have stopped it happening, or if he was on medication already then he should have been and it would have happened anyway. Like I give a F*** anymore anyway.

without knowing how many are on medication it would be hard to know if the overall effect is positive for these mind altering drugs with regards to improved quality of life or the complete opposite suicide. i am sure there is a unofficial list being collected somewhere but like you say it would be too damaging to big pharma and the ones that do improve to remove them. 

It`s easy for gp`s to hand out pills though without the precise knowledge of which ones to use.  

There needs to be constant review. 

personally i would not go near them, but then i would never put myself into a position of commitment for that very reason. one is hard enough to look after.