House Price Crash Forum

1 hour ago, rantnrave said:

Data out at 08:30.

Will we get a negative annual figure??

No chance,  not with that freakshow December 18 value still being used as this quarters average. Depending on what they put out this month, next month’s report will be a doozy though (out 5th April) as the December 18 value will fall out of the current average and the anomalous March 18 figure will be used in the previous years average.

£13,000+ increase in average house price in the last four weeks according to Halifax. New peak price set and annual growth rising at fastest rate in six months.

Apparently.

3 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

UP 5.9% MoM

Five Point Nine Per Cent

Haha, that’s hilarious - let’s do Brexit more often, it’s a magic money making machine!

Just now, hurlerontheditch said:

will be another 3 months before the chances of a drop now! what an amazing result 5.9% 

well done everybody!

The swings are getting extreme, -6% or more next month?

1 minute ago, LetsBuild said:

The swings are getting extreme, -6% or more next month?

Yes. Very erratic. Last month -3.0%. Five of the last monthly figures were greater than +/- 1%. Can't recall ever seeing such volatility in any of the indices.

Both this and the Nationwide index will be very volatile for a while, I would have thought. The graph from RICS they include in the report on the average no. of homes for sale per surveyor shows it crawling along the bottom. Smaller data sample = more scope for big fluctuations. That said, it is a surprisingly high positive figure. The silver lining, I suppose, is that this figure is now lodged in the data series and it won't take much of a fall in prices to lead to a big % drop in the coming months. Perfect for the calamity-hungry sub-editors out there.

9 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

£13,000+ increase in average house price in the last four weeks according to Halifax. New peak price set and annual growth rising at fastest rate in six months.

Apparently.

Fantastic news, this government is making us all rich, let's hope that Messiah May gets her brilliant Brexit deal through the Commons next week.

How utterly ridiculous - gets laughably ever-less credible by the month but the muppets will continue to lap it up. A very stark contrast to nationwide's figures.. 

3 minutes ago, Voice of Doom said:

Both this and the Nationwide index will be very volatile for a while, I would have thought. The graph from RICS they include in the report on the average no. of homes for sale per surveyor shows it crawling along the bottom. Smaller data sample = more scope for big fluctuations. That said, it is a surprisingly high positive figure. The silver lining, I suppose, is that this figure is now lodged in the data series and it won't take much of a fall in prices to lead to a big % drop in the coming months. Perfect for the calamity-hungry sub-editors out there.

hmmm not sure

However, the number of sales in January was right on the five year average and, at over 100,000 for the fifth consecutive month

this is long before Brexit and before the peak in london

Oh good grief - I give up. That's going to be the headline in every newspaper in the land tomorrow - just the sentiment boost the market wants for a Spring Bounce.

6 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

hmmm not sure

Halifax is producing data on its share of the market. What's not to say that their share of a stable market is decreasing significantly?

Don't quote me on this, but a fair while back, someone posted on HPC that Nationwide and Halifax each have less than ten percent of the mortgage market each. So, these monthly surveys are based on sample sizes of less than 6,000? Correct?

Do they mention volume?

Could it be that houses which would have taken a drop are off the market or remaining unsold and the only houses selling are premium stock?

18 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Halifax is producing data on its share of the market. What's not to say that their share of a stable market is decreasing significantly?

Don't quote me on this, but a fair while back, someone posted on HPC that Nationwide and Halifax each have less than ten percent of the mortgage market each. So, these monthly surveys are based on sample sizes of less than 6,000? Correct?

ah ok, i had taken the 100000 sales as theirs but of course it is national

8 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

ah ok, i had taken the 100000 sales as theirs but of course it is national

100k sales, but 65k mortgages.

Am recalling that Nationwide was quoted as 5% of the mortgage market and Halifax 7%. 

21 minutes ago, APerson said:

Do they mention volume?

Could it be that houses which would have taken a drop are off the market or remaining unsold and the only houses selling are premium stock?

Just what I was wondering... Shedloads of £5m properties being sold off for £4m to get a quick pre-brexit sale?

41 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Fantastic news, this government is making us all rich, let's hope that Messiah May gets her brilliant Brexit deal through the Commons next week.

It's incredible. 6% a month!

Even Gordon Brown at his most demented never came close.

99212_1.jpg&f=1