House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kyouken

Shared ownership in a falling market

I was put off shared ownership based on what I have read here and elsewhere but at the time it occurred to me it might be worthwhile in a falling market. A bit like shorting shares.

Today I saw on Rightmove the following: 

Turn any freehold property into part buy –part rent  ‘Your Home’. You simply need 10% cash deposit on the full purchase price, there’s no need for a mortgage and you can buy more or move at any time. Subject to status and certain criteria (please see below for more details), you can buy from 10% -75% and pay rent on the part you don’t buy.

Your Home is a part buy –part rent scheme available on freehold properties

You simply need 10% cash deposit on the full purchase price, there is no need for a mortgage and you can buy more or move at any time.
*Your Home eligibility criteria:

•Household income at or below £80,000
•Good credit history
•Income to support the unpurchased share
•Be a British or EU citizen or have indefinite rights to remain in the UK
•Must be your principle and only home at completion

--

Now buying just 10% seems to me to be a wiser course of action as if it all went pear shaped you would end up losing less money or you would have a better chance of finding someone to sell it on to and then by the rest in one go.  I have never understood why people bother with shared ownership at 50+% from the point of view of selling it on at some point.  even if you are still renting at least you wouldn't have the hassle of landlords, letting agents etc.

No doubt there are some hidden and unmentioned things which would make it not worth while but at least of the face of it ould be worthwhile for some.