House Price Crash Forum

Car buyers overcharged £1,000 by dealers for loans, says watchdog

HOLA441

Car buyers overcharged £1,000 by dealers for loans, says watchdog

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47438681

I posted this on the long running pcp car thread, but thought it deserved its own thread 

https://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/229784-boe-investigates-terrifying-rise-in-borrowing-to-fund-new-car-purchases/page/44/

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

The customer would probably be told that they have failed the loan/PCP application unless they took the higher rate of interest, and as its only an additional £22.92 pcm its manageable. 1 take away a month less to get the car of your dreams....

Edited by Monkey

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

What's so wrong with them setting their own interest rates? The banks already do this for personal loans, based on your circumstances/history.

Thick buyers who can't use an interest calculator, or make a basic comparison with rates at other car dealers.

They'll always be the case of poor credit rating buyers who will eventually find finance but at a higher rate to offset the risk.

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, Andy T said:

What's so wrong with them setting their own interest rates? The banks already do this for personal loans, based on your circumstances/history.

Thick buyers who can't use an interest calculator, or make a basic comparison with rates at other car dealers.

They'll always be the case of poor credit rating buyers who will eventually find finance but at a higher rate to offset the risk.

Why are people surprised that the interest rates offered by the car dealerships are higher than if you shop around?

HOLA4413
8 hours ago, Si1 said:

Why are people surprised that the interest rates offered by the car dealerships are higher than if you shop around?

Exactly. I bought a car using a bank loan about 15 years ago. The dealership were pushing hard for me to take their finance. I'd already done my homework and got a personal loan approval in principle from the bank, I knew the dealership wasn't competitive, so I shut them up by saying "If your interest rate is lower than 5.9%, then I'll gladly take your credit." Funnily enough, they gave up at that point.

HOLA4414