Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will!

Labour MP makes speech in the Commons about finding demented father injured in care home

Recommended Posts

Intensely-demanding-work-with-poor-prospects-and-missing-sense-of-achievement,-scrutinized-by-those-unwilling-to-do-the-same,-despite-hypocritically-professed-emotional-connection,-remunerated-at-slave-labour-rates,-results-in-poor-outcomes shocker.

All brought to you by an 'over-worked', more than adequately-remunerated GP, who can still find time to be an MP ... but not a daughter.

Solution? You can't afford it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get the cost of living (housing) down and provide a basic income to all adults so they don't have to spend all their time and energy working for money and maybe working age adults will have some spare time and energy to take care of relatives who need it. If you aren't prepared to do that because "it would be bad for the economy" then accept that this kind of thing is the result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Intensely-demanding-work-with-poor-prospects-and-missing-sense-of-achievement,-scrutinized-by-those-unwilling-to-do-the-same,-despite-hypocritically-professed-emotional-connection,-remunerated-at-slave-labour-rates,-results-in-poor-outcomes shocker.

All brought to you by an 'over-worked', more than adequately-remunerated GP, who can still find time to be an MP ... but not a daughter.

Solution? You can't afford it.

My solution is to do whatever is necessary to ensure that I will never end up in a care home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

My solution is to do whatever is necessary to ensure that I will never end up in a care home.

Me too. I have pledged to off meself on fentanyl*** as soon as I struggle with the Countdown conundrum*. What's your litmus test?**

 

__________________________________________

* - oh f**k: just failed during an episode on catchup.

** - given *, it's probably not worth you replying to that.

*** - how the f**k do you do this dark-web rubbish. Trying to source the mentioned contraband, but it looks like I've left it too late: old brain, new tech. B*gger!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Me too. I have pledged to off meself on fentanyl*** as soon as I struggle with the Countdown conundrum*. What's your litmus test?**

 

__________________________________________

* - oh f**k: just failed during an episode on catchup.

** - given *, it's probably not worth you replying to that.

*** - how the f**k do you do this dark-web rubbish. Trying to source the mentioned contraband, but it looks like I've left it too late: old brain, new tech. B*gger!

That's the $64,000 question! The test remains a work in progress. Vigilance is the key, but one thing is certain, to be on the safe side, a decision may have to be made years earlier than would be necessary if outside help could be enlisted and be relied upon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/03/2019 at 17:44, Bruce Banner said:

My solution is to do whatever is necessary to ensure that I will never end up in a care home.

Like everything in life there are good and bad ones.......some are like top class hotels, large light airy rooms, almost as many qualified caring staff as residents, a wide choice of well cooked healthy food, many activities, large gardens/grounds.....if close to friends and relatives that can visit regularly, able to go out for days out or  holidays if well enough, it can work out well......... money buys freedom and choices.;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/03/2019 at 08:38, Bruce Banner said:

That's the $64,000 question! The test remains a work in progress. Vigilance is the key, but one thing is certain, to be on the safe side, a decision may have to be made years earlier than would be necessary if outside help could be enlisted and be relied upon.

Safest thing would be to do it today, you never know when you might have that Diving Bell and the Butterfly stroke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Safest thing would be to do it today, you never know when you might have that Diving Bell and the Butterfly stroke.

I think I'll give that a miss, no known reason yet and hopefully there never will be. Advance directive inc DNR should provide some protection against those, and the bus. Hope for the best but plan for the worst. That said, the present law is an ass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/03/2019 at 09:37, winkie said:

Like everything in life there are good and bad ones.......some are like top class hotels, large light airy rooms, almost as many qualified caring staff as residents, a wide choice of well cooked healthy food, many activities, large gardens/grounds.....if close to friends and relatives that can visit regularly, able to go out for days out or  holidays if well enough, it can work out well......... money buys freedom and choices.;)

 

Money can buy choices for the few, whilst the rest play out scenes from Les Miserables. Or you can pay for everyone and sit back whilst the tax-take ensures history's most amazing economic smackdown!

Happy days!

Or you can look after your own relis ... but even so the economy will take a hit.

As I say, the current situ is being 'paid for' by the suffering of the infirm and the generosity of some of the lowest paid workers in the land (carers, both gratuitous and employed).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

Money can buy choices for the few, whilst the rest play out scenes from Les Miserables. Or you can pay for everyone and sit back whilst the tax-take ensures history's most amazing economic smackdown!

Happy days!

Or you can look after your own relis ... but even so the economy will take a hit.

As I say, the current situ is being 'paid for' by the suffering of the infirm and the generosity of some of the lowest paid workers in the land (carers, both gratuitous and employed).

 

Very true....one day we will start to value and pay care workers what they truly deserve, a time when improving lives of people is put ahead of improving bank balances.... so many in the community have devoted themselves to caring for members of their family both young and old, some have given up good jobs to do so......others work tirelessly on a voluntary basis helping others.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I think I'll give that a miss, no known reason yet and hopefully there never will be. Advance directive inc DNR should provide some protection against those, and the bus. Hope for the best but plan for the worst. That said, the present law is an ass.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/01/health/dnr-do-no-resuscitate-tattoo-medical-debate-trnd/index.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/03/2019 at 14:53, Dorkins said:

Get the cost of living (housing) down and provide a basic income to all adults so they don't have to spend all their time and energy working for money and maybe working age adults will have some spare time and energy to take care of relatives who need it. If you aren't prepared to do that because "it would be bad for the economy" then accept that this kind of thing is the result.

Good care homes certainly do exist.  My mother was in a very good dementia-only one for nearly 8 years - and incidentally it was by no means the most expensive.  

From experience of looking at many when choosing for both her and previously my FiL, I'd never think the most expensive are necessarily the best, far from it.  From all I ever saw, the bells and whistles, 'stylish' Homes and Gardens decor, etc. were there purely to impress the relatives who were choosing. 

 Cosy and homely, even if a mite shabby round the edges, are IMO far more important. 

As for looking after relatives yourself, 24/7, I don't mind admitting that having done this (my FiL with dementia) for a year, there was no way I was doing it again when it came to my mother.  I had gone into it blithely thinking, 'Just getting a bit more forgetful - how hard can it be?' 

We were clueless. We  had absolutely no idea of how stressful and exhausting caring for someone with dementia can be.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody should feel bad about not being able to look after their family members that require specialist 24 hour care, who do not have the space, who are unable to be with them during the day because they need to work to pay the bills......like all schools should be good schools, all care homes should be good care homes....there are not many people that could afford £2000 plus a month to buy peace of mind and the excellent care/education of their love ones.....they therefore have to get what they are given or do it themselves.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 297 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.