House Price Crash Forum
Bruce Banner

Right to Rent checks discriminatory - High Court.

Looking forward to the day when Theresa May's political career is in the rear view mirror but I think it will be a few years yet.

It was a perfectly reasonable policy.  No doubt the solicitor from Liberty and the judge are comfortably housed and don't need to worry about what uncontrolled immigration means for housing availability, rents and prices.

1 minute ago, Wayward said:

It was a perfectly reasonable policy.  No doubt the solicitor from Liberty and the judge are comfortably housed and don't need to worry about what uncontrolled immigration means for housing availability, rents and prices.

As reasonable as any of May's snooping policies, ie not at all.

The end does not justify the means!

1 hour ago, Wayward said:

I agree landlords and pro immigration people united against it. 

Saying that I am not sure it is the real solution, the real solution would be to make it clear that unlike now, in future illegal immigrants will never become legal and will never be able to leave the UK and come back.

(At the moment illegal immigrants can become British citizens).

the requirement can be satisfied using a 40 quid credit check of new tenants available from agency open rent and carried out by a third party co.

tenant uploads documents. company returns pdf to landlord with message box ticked.

landlords said to be discriminating because of this are really discriminating for other reasons i think.

Landlords told to check up on you (immigration status) if you rent, estate agents told to check up on you (source of funds) if you buy, who is the customer here? 

Do you really want landlords and estate agents to be privy to your personal circumstances, because I sure as hell don't, it's none of their bloody business!

These are personal and confidential details which should only be required to be divulged, if necessary, to government agencies, not landlords and estate agents.

I'm all for making things difficult for illegal immigrants but this is too much poking around at everyone, I don't like it for the same reasons as Bruce. But it's a sad indicment of this country that it's the tired old "discrimination" card that gets played rather than it being unacceptably intrusive. I don't see how it is the former but it's definitely the latter.

1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

Landlords told to check up on you (immigration status) if you rent, estate agents told to check up on you (source of funds) if you buy, who is the customer here? 

Do you really want landlords and estate agents to be privy to your personal circumstances, because I sure as hell don't, it's none of their bloody business!

These are personal and confidential details which should only be required to be divulged, if necessary, to government agencies, not landlords and estate agents.

I am the kind of person that uses cash because I don't like the idea of my spending habits being recorded by use of contactless card etc but saying that I don't mind having my nationality, citizenship, visa status etc checked when I sign up to a new residential lease.

Come on...in many or perhaps most counties you have to prove your visa status every time you check into a hotel !!

39 minutes ago, Wayward said:

I am the kind of person that uses cash because I don't like the idea of my spending habits being recorded by use of contactless card etc but saying that I don't mind having my nationality, citizenship, visa status etc checked when I sign up to a new residential lease.

Come on...in many or perhaps most counties you have to prove your visa status every time you check into a hotel !!

Some people wouldn't know what a wedge is, let alone which end of it is being inserted.

Principle is everything.

Since 1997, our rights, freedoms and privacy have all been eroded, and the rot continues.

15 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Some people wouldn't know what a wedge is, let alone which end of it is being inserted.

Principle is everything.

Since 1997, our rights, freedoms and privacy have all been eroded, and the rot continues.

Are you against the money laundering checks on buyers??

I doubt that the sort of slumlord who packs them in 12 to a 3 bed semi - never mind a shed in the garden - who takes rent in cash and never declares it to the taxman, ever gave a toss about checking anyway.  

Its a lot easier for a landlord to simply not take tenants who look or sound like they might be from outside the EU (or the UK now with Brexit), rather than verify. Whether they are being lazy or not, there is good evidence that it happens.

The same has happened that employers checks. Easier to take the other candidate and not bother.

It is not possible to create a "hostile environment" for illegal immigrants without affecting legal immigrants and British citizens who look wrong.

9 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

I doubt that the sort of slumlord who packs them in 12 to a 3 bed semi - never mind a shed in the garden - who takes rent in cash and never declares it to the taxman, ever gave a toss about checking anyway.  

Entrepreneur, please.

17 hours ago, gp_ said:

It is not possible to create a "hostile environment" for illegal immigrants without affecting legal immigrants and British citizens who look wrong.

The same's true of any law, so take each one on its own merits. Generally I'm against laws that treat everyone as a potential suspect or potentially badly behaved and would rather have the consequences of some people getting away with it. They have to make a reasonably good attempt at only affecting those they need to, e.g. I manage to go through life without constant checks that assume I might be a murderer.

It's interesting that an employer can be prosecuted for not checking the right to residence etc. but a landlord is now apparently exempt. I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that so many MPs own property and BTLs? Since it's the government/state foots the bill for the rental while the person's residency status is being processed, the landlord doesn't give two hoots. It also avoids the potential embarassment to politicians should they ever be exposed as renting to "illegals". Just a thought.

Edited by Pindar

22 hours ago, Riedquat said:

The same's true of any law, so take each one on its own merits. Generally I'm against laws that treat everyone as a potential suspect or potentially badly behaved and would rather have the consequences of some people getting away with it. They have to make a reasonably good attempt at only affecting those they need to, e.g. I manage to go through life without constant checks that assume I might be a murderer.

Do you remember when Blair was trying to introduce a system whereby "doctors" would be made to evaluate their patients to identify those likely to offend so that the "nanny state" could act to prevent them committing a crime? 

14 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Do you remember when Blair was trying to introduce a system whereby "doctors" would be made to evaluate their patients to identify those likely to offend so that the "nanny state" could act to prevent them committing a crime? 

Thankfully I missed that one. It's perhaps not a good idea to mention it though, you might give Theresa May ideas.

On 01/03/2019 at 13:36, Wayward said:

I do have to disagree with you there - I reckon it was a grimy little policy, forcing the public to police each other, an unpleasant and un-British business and I'm glad the high court was having no truck with it. Funnily enough, I heard about its demise from my lovely landlady, who was thoroughly offended at the idea of having to check someone's passport. Immigrants, even illegal ones, are by no means the most significant factor in the housing catastrophe, this was typical political nastiness - alongside e.g. the criminalisation of squatting, which the tories made one of their first orders of business when they got in. Tho to be fair, I'm sure there were plenty of tories with libertarian leanings who will have thought right to rent was a bit of authoritarian mank, too.

On 01/03/2019 at 13:36, Wayward said:

No doubt the solicitor from Liberty and the judge are comfortably housed and don't need to worry about what uncontrolled immigration means for housing availability, rents and prices.

Yes they will not be living in a place like Hounslow 

On 01/03/2019 at 13:39, Bruce Banner said:

The end does not justify the means!

It does

On 01/03/2019 at 15:13, iamnumerate said:

Saying that I am not sure it is the real solution, the real solution would be to make it clear that unlike now, in future illegal immigrants will never become legal and will never be able to leave the UK and come back.

Agreed

On 01/03/2019 at 16:52, Wayward said:

I don't mind having my nationality, citizenship, visa status etc checked when I sign up to a new residential lease.

Agreed

On 01/03/2019 at 15:13, iamnumerate said:

(At the moment illegal immigrants can become British citizens).

And I hate to burst people’s bubble.. but

Over 100’000 cases of FGM 

Record high knife crime

26’000 people on terrorist watch lists

immigration is not a good idea.. sorry to tell people this as I know being against crime is racist.. I’ve been told so on many occasions.. 

only unlimited open door immigration will improve the country.. enriching.. is the favourite word..    

10 hours ago, Pindar said:

It's interesting that an employer can be prosecuted for not checking the right to residence etc. but a landlord is now apparently exempt. I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that so many MPs own property and BTLs? Since it's the government/state foots the bill for the rental while the person's residency status is being processed, the landlord doesn't give two hoots. It also avoids the potential embarassment to politicians should they ever be exposed as renting to "illegals". Just a thought.

Yes agreed...owners of land and property again gaining privileges. And some here taking the position that it's 'unBritish ' to check visa status of prospective tenants...oh dear . When I go to Asia I have to prove my visa status to book into a hotel.  Seems some people's interpretation of what is unBritish and unpleasant is giving shelter to people with no right to be here. People I have to compete with for the inadequate supply of housing, increasing rents and prices and making living conditions even more miserable.