House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
24gray24

Is anyone on hpc buying now in London?

Self explanatory title. Useful as a guage of sentiment and market activity in London.  Also of this site's sentiment.  

Zero for example would be interesting. 

For those that are, tell us how? Eg htb + bomad. 

I think the crash in London has not yet begun, for me 2 years from now will probably be the best time, i need to move to a bigger place.

On 24/02/2019 at 10:38, 24gray24 said:

Is anyone on hpc buying now in London?

No!

After many years of successfully dodging stable employment, I'm now in a "job for life" type situation, with an OK deposit saved up.  As prozac says, the crash doesn't seem to have started happening where I am (SW London / Surrey borders).  Annoyingly prices here have flatlined and the drops just mean central London (Zone 1-3) is often cheaper / comparable than this part of town.

Personally I'm taking a much keener interest in prices, ready to buy in 2-3 years if there's a sudden drop, or 5-10 years if there's more protracted "negative price rises".

2 hours ago, naturals said:

No!

After many years of successfully dodging stable employment, I'm now in a "job for life" type situation, with an OK deposit saved up.  As prozac says, the crash doesn't seem to have started happening where I am (SW London / Surrey borders).  Annoyingly prices here have flatlined and the drops just mean central London (Zone 1-3) is often cheaper / comparable than this part of town.

Personally I'm taking a much keener interest in prices, ready to buy in 2-3 years if there's a sudden drop, or 5-10 years if there's more protracted "negative price rises".

I think that Kingston and surrounds are a bit of a mixed bag price-wise. Houses in the 'good' parts of the area have held their (asking) prices but are not selling. Flats in those area and houses in the less sought-after parts have dropped a bit in asking price, but not enough and they are still not selling.

Then there is the HTB-funded new builds which are still on for huge prices that are out of kilter evne compared to the very peak of the market.

Other suburban areas seem to have been hit later by the ripple-effect, even though they are sometimes closer in to central London (e.g Beckenham/Bromley in the SE, Harrow in the NW). There is much less difference in price between Kingston and those places than there was two years ago.

All over London, the market seems incredibly slow and I think (hope) that buyers are wisely sitting out as they are confident of further falls.

Edited by worried1

I'm looking in north London - zone 4 and 5. There seem to be some slight reductions in established areas, much more notable in East London. As a general theme there is very little supply. Areas which really should have 20 flats for sale at any one time in whatever price bracket you look for have at most 5-10. Some priced fairly high (needed for next move?). Others priced a little lower seem to move quickly.