House Price Crash Forum
bear.getting.old

Anyone just considered leaving the country?

There seems to be a drive bigger than ever for people to reduce their possessions to virtually zero and go working and travelling around the world. Sod UK house prices etc, not important. I'm tempted but personally I can't see how they do it on a practical level. I need a bit of stability in home and work life and as you age you build up tons of stuff that I couldn't imagine not having stored in the shed etc. Hi-Fi, TV's computers, old records, CDs DVDs, stamp collections you name it....

How can you really declutter and not need your stuff? And foriegn countries want your UK investment income ie your UK savings interest, they want to tax it (even ISAs) if you stay there too long. Then there is retiring in a low cost country, ie Philippines, might be an option, but I'm only mid 40s.

I feel that I would need to own a UK house to fall back on to store all my stuff as well, as return to if you need to come back to stay UK tax resident for the 183 day rules. I am rather confused about where next to go with my life, hence this post, and feel I might have to buy a house again even at silly prices. Help! I know people live on boats, and they have to do creative things about getting bank statements sent and car insurance docs sent to where? And car is kept where>? Easier to have a house....

1 hour ago, bear.getting.old said:

There seems to be a drive bigger than ever for people to reduce their possessions to virtually zero and go working and travelling around the world. Sod UK house prices etc, not important. I'm tempted but personally I can't see how they do it on a practical level. I need a bit of stability in home and work life and as you age you build up tons of stuff that I couldn't imagine not having stored in the shed etc. Hi-Fi, TV's computers, old records, CDs DVDs, stamp collections you name it....

How can you really declutter and not need your stuff? And foriegn countries want your UK investment income ie your UK savings interest, they want to tax it (even ISAs) if you stay there too long. Then there is retiring in a low cost country, ie Philippines, might be an option, but I'm only mid 40s.

I feel that I would need to own a UK house to fall back on to store all my stuff as well, as return to if you need to come back to stay UK tax resident for the 183 day rules. I am rather confused about where next to go with my life, hence this post, and feel I might have to buy a house again even at silly prices. Help! I know people live on boats, and they have to do creative things about getting bank statements sent and car insurance docs sent to where? And car is kept where>? Easier to have a house....

What choices do you have?......out of the EU you will have fewer countries that will want you......the older you get the fewer freedoms, less choices will have.......all depends of course on how much dosh you have.....dump the junk....invest in a comfortable motor home and travel over many boarders no questions asked.;)

Most consumer crap accumulation comes from having a wife / longterm relationship. Single men can happily live with not much more than a phone, laptop, some pants and socks. 

The trend is away from owning, well, anything really . Be interesting to see the effect on houses prices. Obviously such people still need to rent, but they are generally happy to live in much smaller homes. 

1 hour ago, PropertyMania said:

Most consumer crap accumulation comes from having a wife / longterm relationship. Single men can happily live with not much more than a phone, laptop, some pants and socks. 

Have to say I agree!

1 hour ago, PropertyMania said:

The trend is away from owning, well, anything really . Be interesting to see the effect on houses prices. Obviously such people still need to rent, but they are generally happy to live in much smaller homes. 

Do you not think women serve a purpose?

I've thought about where I'd move. That was enough to put me off. For all its problems, really where would you go that was better? Often people move to a third world s__t tip so they feel special. This always strikes me as vacuous and temporary, and temporary it almost always is when they come to realise that special treatment aside they live in a s__t tip. 

Grass is always greener. I've lived in a few countries across the world and with every increase in one metric you have to suffer a decrease in another. Only billionaires get to have it all, insulated from catastrophe by money. 

2 hours ago, prozac said:

I am a Londoner through and through, I would seriously consider moving to a city up north, 

Can you get double pie,mash and liquor up north? I know Manze deliver!

2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Grass is always greener. I've lived in a few countries across the world and with every increase in one metric you have to suffer a decrease in another. Only billionaires get to have it all, insulated from catastrophe by money. 

More or less agree with this, except maybe even the billionaires don't seem any more content than the rest of us.

7 hours ago, winkie said:

What choices do you have?......out of the EU you will have fewer countries that will want you......the older you get the fewer freedoms, less choices will have.......all depends of course on how much dosh you have.....dump the junk....invest in a comfortable motor home and travel over many boarders no questions asked.;)

There is a problem with that, brexit or no brexit, in some countries, Spain and Ireland being one of them, you have to officially import your vehicle into the country, have it registered there and pay import duty (not cheap), pay car tax, and do that countries equivalent of the MOT too, and change it to Spanish (or whatever countries plates) There are customs checks a few miles inside the borders particularly in Ireland looking for foriegn cars  (so much for no hard border!!) and they can sieze your car if you do not comply, with fees paid for release and you still have to import the car. Combine that with only 90 day holiday visas in some EU countries, there is not as much freedom as people make out across the EU.

6 hours ago, PropertyMania said:

So what do men now do with their drawers full of old mobile phones, cables and chargers and all their tools for DIY and decorating/odd jobs?

9 hours ago, bear.getting.old said:

I moved abroad to China with no house (late thirties). Lucky to have parents’ address to use for banking, etc.

Got rid of 50% of my stuff, shipped the rest. Cost about £2500. Company paid.

Heading back this year, having accumulated more junk, and needing to get rid of about 30% of stuff. Hoping to find a place that I can buy for cash. Finding a mortgage might be a problem without a full uk credit record.

Actually the necessity of throwing away a heap of junk is really therapeutic.

4 hours ago, neon tetra said:

I moved abroad to China with no house (late thirties). Lucky to have parents’ address to use for banking, etc.

Got rid of 50% of my stuff, shipped the rest. Cost about £2500. Company paid.

Heading back this year, having accumulated more junk, and needing to get rid of about 30% of stuff. Hoping to find a place that I can buy for cash. Finding a mortgage might be a problem without a full uk credit record.

Actually the necessity of throwing away a heap of junk is really therapeutic.

Agree. I moved to the UK with a backpack which was fine, and headed home a few good years later with a large move cube. We did get rid of a lot of stuff before shipping and I'm pretty brutal with regular clear outs.

We said we needed a good tv, internet, laptop and cheaper housing in Aus and surprisingly we've ticked all the boxes.

Unlike most houses in Aus we haven't bought a McMansion so hoping to keep the crap to a minimum for our next move.

The 30something private renters in my social circle are generally pretty averse to accumulating lots of stuff. It's a combination of living in smaller houses which just don't have space to store it and the ever-present thought at the back of your mind that you might move house in the not-too-distant future.

Stuff is so cheap now there's really no point in getting attached to it. If you go the ebay and gumtree route you can furnish a house for a grand. White goods and electronics cost days of income, not months. Even a car can be weeks of income if you go secondhand. Clothes are cheap.

My 1950s-born parents did three international moves with my father's job while raising children and they lugged all their stuff across oceans every time, even furniture and cars. Looking back it seems crazy - why didn't they just sell it and replace it with whatever they needed when they arrived?

Edited by Dorkins

5 hours ago, bear.getting.old said:

There is a problem with that, brexit or no brexit, in some countries, Spain and Ireland being one of them, you have to officially import your vehicle into the country, have it registered there and pay import duty (not cheap), pay car tax, and do that countries equivalent of the MOT too, and change it to Spanish (or whatever countries plates) There are customs checks a few miles inside the borders particularly in Ireland looking for foriegn cars  (so much for no hard border!!) and they can sieze your car if you do not comply, with fees paid for release and you still have to import the car. Combine that with only 90 day holiday visas in some EU countries, there is not as much freedom as people make out across the EU.

Your question was leaving the country not living in another country for good......thousands travel using British plates all over the continent every year, you only have to wait to board a ferry to see many caravans, cars and motorhomes.......some very nice ones, travelling to and fro......as long as your insurance UK driving licence and MOT is in order, got your triangle, hi-vis vest and breathalyser......good to go.;)

Can use mobile phone as would in UK, take food and drink in and out, take goods and pets in and out......just an extension of your own country.......lots of interesting places to explore, people to meet, things to do......no unnecessary paperwork, costly bureaucracy red tape or stupid rules and regulations....yet!

8 hours ago, 2rocketman said:

Can you get double pie,mash and liquor up north? I know Manze deliver!

Lol, I will learn to make pie, I buy my wine from Tesco £5 per bottle that helps me save a chunk of my salary 

I always expected to emigrate....and have spent a lot of time overseas including a year in Asia. But I have never been able to make the leap. I know now that after a few months i would miss my friends, the English countryside and I worry about my elderly parents.  Not a decision to take lightly.

Plus I would struggle to find work that would pay what I can get here. I dont want to become an English teacher etc being paid peanuts like many Brits in Asia.

I still expect however that the push factors will intensify and I may retire overseas..Spain is my preference.

Arrived in the uk 2006 with a large backpack, departed with a container last year.

its the economy...

Edited by bobbo

55 minutes ago, bobbo said:

Arrived in the uk 2006 with a large backpack, departed with a container last year.

its the economy...

You have my maximum level of admiration.

My views on housing go back decades and over time I've been accused of envy, bad loser or being an underachiever - all that kind of stuff. Now and then I have felt some envy for those who are naturally lucky but in the end I realised luck isn't as satisfying as achievement. My fault for taking twice as long to grow up as I should have.

Here's wishing you all the very best. Your story for some reason made my day. 

10 hours ago, bear.getting.old said:

So what do men now do with their drawers full of old mobile phones, cables and chargers and all their tools for DIY and decorating/odd jobs?

Granted, but not quite the same as 15 pairs of shoes, two wardrobes of clothes, a bathroom full of beauty "products", drawers of accessories, multiple handbags etc etc. I wish the stereotype weren't true, but it mostly is. 

4 hours ago, Dorkins said:

The 30something private renters in my social circle are generally pretty averse to accumulating lots of stuff. It's a combination of living in smaller houses which just don't have space to store it and the ever-present thought at the back of your mind that you might move house in the not-too-distant future.

Stuff is so cheap now there's really no point in getting attached to it. If you go the ebay and gumtree route you can furnish a house for a grand. White goods and electronics cost days of income, not months. Even a car can be weeks of income if you go secondhand. Clothes are cheap.

My 1950s-born parents did three international moves with my father's job while raising children and they lugged all their stuff across oceans every time, even furniture and cars. Looking back it seems crazy - why didn't they just sell it and replace it with whatever they needed when they arrived?

Good post. yes, internet has created huge second hand market, and let's be honest most products are not made to last long anyway. You see people going to Ikea to rebuy the exact same product that's knackered after two years - they don't mind, just accept it as price of cheap. On a side note about white goods - in many european countries, it's the norm to have unfurnished rentals with no white goods (yes, you have to bring your own).  

2 hours ago, bobbo said:

its the economy...

What did you fill the container with?

10 minutes ago, PropertyMania said:

in many european countries, it's the norm to have unfurnished rentals with no white goods (yes, you have to bring your own).  

I'd be absolutely fine with white goods being tenant-supplied in unfurnished rentals in the UK, as a working age adult I'm perfectly capable of organising the purchase of a fridge or dishwasher. In our current rental there was no dishwasher in the kitchen so I bought and installed one. The fridge died this year and the miserly landlord bought the cheapest possible one from Currys with a tiny internal volume, much smaller than the one it replaced and nowhere near large enough for a weekly shop for a small family who cook every day (it's a 2 bedroom house, not a studio flat which that size of fridge would be fine for). I didn't bother unpacking it, just shoved it under the stairs and bought a decent sized one myself.