House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ca3

Stranmillis

Hi guys, may I have some opinions from you.

I’ve been looking at the houses in stranmillis as I’d like to send my dd to stranmillis primary school. A friends’ daughters study there, and she speaks well about the school. Also stranmillis is not far away from the place I work, so I am quite happy with the location.

Now I am thinking to put an offer on a townhouse in Laganvale court, but I have 2 questions:

1. Is there any place that I can find the sale price in that area? The house has been in the market for a few weeks but hasn’t received any offer yet. How much I should offer (eg. 10%-15% percentage reduction from the owner’s asking price? ) if I’m the first one to put an offer?

2. The house in Laganvale ct at the end of lockview road. Is anyone familar with that area? It seems a nice residential area, very quiet, the only downside I have noticed is a bit far away from shops and restaurants and I may have to drive. I’m very new to that area; is there any problems that I haven’t been aware of?

Many thanks in advance!

1. Go to the LPS offices near BT tower in Belfast, pay 5 quid per search and do a search on each of the houses in that street that are the same spec to the one you want. You can figure out which ones are similar spec by searching for the rate-able values here:

https://lpsni.gov.uk/vListDCV/search.asp?submit=form

2. Never lived there, it's popular but agree that it's something of a no mans land with no large shops/supermarkets nearby. For the premium people pay to live there I actually think Ormeau offers better location/facilities these days. I also think the laganvale court townhouses are kinda small too, esp considering the price.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

On 23/02/2019 at 04:43, Ca3 said:

Hi guys, may I have some opinions from you.

I’ve been looking at the houses in stranmillis as I’d like to send my dd to stranmillis primary school. A friends’ daughters study there, and she speaks well about the school. Also stranmillis is not far away from the place I work, so I am quite happy with the location.

Now I am thinking to put an offer on a townhouse in Laganvale court, but I have 2 questions:

1. Is there any place that I can find the sale price in that area? The house has been in the market for a few weeks but hasn’t received any offer yet. How much I should offer (eg. 10%-15% percentage reduction from the owner’s asking price? ) if I’m the first one to put an offer?

2. The house in Laganvale ct at the end of lockview road. Is anyone familar with that area? It seems a nice residential area, very quiet, the only downside I have noticed is a bit far away from shops and restaurants and I may have to drive. I’m very new to that area; is there any problems that I haven’t been aware of?

Many thanks in advance!

Check the entrance criteria for the school you're looking at. I live reasonably close to stranmillis primary on the malone end, it's a very difficult school to get into. If it's based on distance laganvale court might be too far away to guarantee a place. I know one of the reasons rents are high stranmillis is to get a place in the school. 

Edited by 2buyornot2buy

Nice area. houses are 25 years or so old. One on market for £230k at moment. Lot of money for a not to big house. paying for location.

On 25/02/2019 at 16:11, JoeDavola said:

1. Go to the LPS offices near BT tower in Belfast, pay 5 quid per search and do a search on each of the houses in that street that are the same spec to the one you want. You can figure out which ones are similar spec by searching for the rate-able values here:

https://lpsni.gov.uk/vListDCV/search.asp?submit=form

2. Never lived there, it's popular but agree that it's something of a no mans land with no large shops/supermarkets nearby. For the premium people pay to live there I actually think Ormeau offers better location/facilities these days. I also think the laganvale court townhouses are kinda small too, esp considering the price.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Hi Joe, thank you very much! Very helpful. We didn’t buy that house eventually considering the price and its location quite far from shops and bus stops. Still keeping looking in south Belfast.

On 25/02/2019 at 17:04, 2buyornot2buy said:

Check the entrance criteria for the school you're looking at. I live reasonably close to stranmillis primary on the malone end, it's a very difficult school to get into. If it's based on distance laganvale court might be too far away to guarantee a place. I know one of the reasons rents are high stranmillis is to get a place in the school. 

You’re right, many thanks for the advice! We checked with the school, Laganvale court is too far away to get a place in...

On 25/02/2019 at 18:09, BelfastVI said:

Nice area. houses are 25 years or so old. One on market for £230k at moment. Lot of money for a not to big house. paying for location.

That’s the one we were about to put an offer.  The angent called and said they just received an offer at 225, and if we don’t offer any more, it was about sale agreed on that day. It was three weeks ago, and apparently the house is still in the market..

Like @2buyornot2buy said, Laganvale Court is too far. I remember viewing two properties in Stranmillis, both for sale at the same time, and they were a 15 second walk between each other - Wilesden and Belvedere. Only the latter is inside the catchment area. It has do to with the postcode, which isn't too expansive because both properties are pretty much a stones throw away from the school.

To be honest, I had given up on Stranmillis some time in 2018. Open viewings, bidding wars, estate agents playing games, the most expensive place to buy per sq foot, and, in my opinion, it's got a posh feel to the area - worse than it was before, people now feel the need to advertise they live in Stranmillis and how much their house is worth, as if they are somewhat superior. I kind of ignored the insane rises between 2014-2017, but 2018 went a whole different level.  While taking everything into account, I decided to look elsewhere.

Good luck in your search!

On 08/03/2019 at 15:27, Ca3 said:

You’re right, many thanks for the advice! We checked with the school, Laganvale court is too far away to get a place in...

How can the school tell you that already?

the criteria is here

http://www.stranmillisprimary.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/P1-criteria-2019-2020.pdf

this is from a 2014 area plan. Green dots are Stranmillis pupils locations which are quite diverse. Rent a house for your application process and then move. If the criteria for this school has always been distance then it looks like people move house further from the school.

image.png.25f4dcd8e69e594280d692a85c233db7.png

On 08/03/2019 at 15:25, Ca3 said:

Hi Joe, thank you very much! Very helpful. We didn’t buy that house eventually considering the price and its location quite far from shops and bus stops. Still keeping looking in south Belfast.

You are very welcome - good luck in your search.

You can always live where ever you fancy, but stick your hand in your pocket and send the kiddiewinks to the likes of Fullerton, Downey, Inchmarlo or Victoria. Six of one though as you end up paying any which way.

44 minutes ago, The_Equalizer said:

You can always live where ever you fancy, but stick your hand in your pocket and send the kiddiewinks to the likes of Fullerton, Downey, Inchmarlo or Victoria. Six of one though as you end up paying any which way.

All protestant schools pretty much. Stranmillis PS is a great integrated school you can't pay to attend. 

6 hours ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

All protestant schools pretty much. Stranmillis PS is a great integrated school you can't pay to attend. 

I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but you can and do pay to attend Stranmillis albeit indirectly in the form of a significant increase in the cost of housing, as discussed. I would be fairly confident that, for Fullerton and Downey at least, they are just as mixed in both in religious and ethic terms as Stranmillis - they are just not technically an integrated. As an aside, still only 9% of NI schools are officially integrated and, yes, Stranmillis is a good school. 

8 hours ago, The_Equalizer said:

I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but you can and do pay to attend Stranmillis albeit indirectly in the form of a significant increase in the cost of housing, as discussed. I would be fairly confident that, for Fullerton and Downey at least, they are just as mixed in both in religious and ethic terms as Stranmillis - they are just not technically an integrated. As an aside, still only 9% of NI schools are officially integrated and, yes, Stranmillis is a good school. 

I wouldn't agree about Fullerton and Downey to be honest. Preps just aren't the done thing with Catholics. My social circle is pretty mixed, majority from the legal and medical profession. Not one catholic sends their kids to the preps. There's just no need. I understand it's a route to methody, but it's not that good a school compared to the catholic grammars near it. So there's no foot up. The majority do send their kids to junior preschool, but that's because middle class in SB have zero hope getting the kids into st brides or stranmillis nursery. 

Stranmillis will be much more mixed than Fullerton or Downey. 

34 minutes ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

I wouldn't agree about Fullerton and Downey to be honest. Preps just aren't the done thing with Catholics. My social circle is pretty mixed, majority from the legal and medical profession. Not one catholic sends their kids to the preps. There's just no need. I understand it's a route to methody, but it's not that good a school compared to the catholic grammars near it. So there's no foot up. The majority do send their kids to junior preschool, but that's because middle class in SB have zero hope getting the kids into st brides or stranmillis nursery. 

Stranmillis will be much more mixed than Fullerton or Downey. 

I know for a fact about Fullerton and Downey. Methody (the grammar bit) is about 30% Catholic for what it is worth. There are other 'protestant schools' like RBAI which have similar figures. Not having grown up here I don't have quite the same hang ups. It would appear others don't too.

Edited by The_Equalizer

I

1 hour ago, The_Equalizer said:

I know for a fact about Fullerton and Downey. Methody (the grammar bit) is about 30% Catholic for what it is worth. There are other 'protestant schools' like RBAI which have similar figures. Not having grown up here I don't have quite the same hang ups. It would appear others don't too.

I really think you are wrong here. I haven't the facts from 2018, only 2012. 

Stranmillis primary 33.5% Catholics

Fullerton 16.5%

Downey  9.5%

Methody 21.1% (I imagine this is in part to do with parents paying to get their kids who didn't do so well in the 11plus into a grammar). 

So stranmillis, in 2012 was pretty mixed. The rest, not so mixed. Granted this is 6 years ago, but I imagine those hang ups are alive and well. 

39 minutes ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

I

I really think you are wrong here. I haven't the facts from 2018, only 2012. 

Stranmillis primary 33.5% Catholics

Fullerton 16.5%

Downey  9.5%

Methody 21.1% (I imagine this is in part to do with parents paying to get their kids who didn't do so well in the 11plus into a grammar). 

So stranmillis, in 2012 was pretty mixed. The rest, not so mixed. Granted this is 6 years ago, but I imagine those hang ups are alive and well. 

I speak from personal experience (from 2019). Anyway, from a 2015 Irish News article that gets my point across that they are not 'protestant schools' in the sense you referred them as:

Top schools enjoying greater religious mix - Irish News 24th March 2015

At Methodist College in Belfast, 23 different religious groupings are represented and it has a diverse ethnic mix.

When Methody appeared before the education committee's inquiry, chairwoman Michelle McIlveen called it a "super-mixed school". Principal Scott Naismith told the committee diversity was part of the historic legacy of the college.

"Because we used to have a boarding department, we always had pupils coming from across Northern Ireland and beyond to the college. That is why we have such a diverse and valued religious and ethnic mix," he said.

"It is just a naturally integrated community. Therefore, people are not seen as Protestant, Catholic,

Jewish, Hindu or whatever, but as who they are and what they can bring."

While Mr Naismith used the word "integrate" to describe the school community, he said this differed from the integrated sector.

"There is a formula for the integrated sector, which is based initially on bringing together Protestant and Catholic children. The mix is 40 per cent Protestant and 40 per cent Catholic and the same for staff. There is that statistic and that formula. Methody does not apply that formula.

"We are not looking to achieve targets in a particular background. Neither are we focused simply on two major religious groups. We are looking at the whole range of ethnic and religious backgrounds represented by our pupils."

Edited by The_Equalizer

3 hours ago, The_Equalizer said:

I speak from personal experience (from 2019). Anyway, a 2015 Irish News article for a bit of enlightenment:

Top schools enjoying greater religious mix - Irish News 24th March 2015

At Methodist College in Belfast, 23 different religious groupings are represented and it has a diverse ethnic mix.

When Methody appeared before the education committee's inquiry, chairwoman Michelle McIlveen called it a "super-mixed school". Principal Scott Naismith told the committee diversity was part of the historic legacy of the college.

"Because we used to have a boarding department, we always had pupils coming from across Northern Ireland and beyond to the college. That is why we have such a diverse and valued religious and ethnic mix," he said.

"It is just a naturally integrated community. Therefore, people are not seen as Protestant, Catholic,

Jewish, Hindu or whatever, but as who they are and what they can bring."

While Mr Naismith used the word "integrate" to describe the school community, he said this differed from the integrated sector.

"There is a formula for the integrated sector, which is based initially on bringing together Protestant and Catholic children. The mix is 40 per cent Protestant and 40 per cent Catholic and the same for staff. There is that statistic and that formula. Methody does not apply that formula.

"We are not looking to achieve targets in a particular background. Neither are we focused simply on two major religious groups. We are looking at the whole range of ethnic and religious backgrounds represented by our pupils."

That's some going. In 3 years the catholic intake increased by 100%+. 

I'm quoting an investigation from the detail, using freedom of information requests. In 2012 the school, from a catholic/protestant POV couldn't be considered 'mixed'. 

Downey and Fullerton were/are even less 'mixed'. Not mixed at all really. 

Stranmillis PS on the other hand, is and was 'mixed'. 

BTW speaking from experience, boarding schools are always ethnically mixed. Someone from India is unlikely to travel from New Delhi 5 times a week. 

Edited by 2buyornot2buy