House Price Crash Forum
reddog

Bernie Sanders to enter 2020 Presidential Race

Any thoughts?

One of his policies is a $15 minimum wage for all

His chief economic adviser is an MMT proponent (modern monetary theory - basically naked money printing)

I guess even  if he losses, the other candidates will lurch significantly to the left in order to "compete" with him.

59 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

God help America and us all over here if that lunatic gets in

You think their current incumbent is preferable to Bernie Sanders?

58 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

God help America and us all over here if that lunatic gets in

LOL yes - who would want a social democrat in charge? Best stick with the systems we have now - perpetual war (nothing 'lunatic' at all about that after all, is there), third-world levels of constantly growing wealth inequality, hollowing out of the productive economy in the search for short-term speculative gains, crushing debt (our tax to the massively over-bloated finance industry) and chronically under-funded democratic infrastructure.

Or as you've been instructed to call it - 'prosperity'...

Edited by zilly

Bernie Sanders and Corbyn have their many, many faults, but they're a natural response to the "shareholder" mindset of Western oligarchs that've turned democratic governments and multinational corporations into ablative armour as they smash the Capitalist system into the ground for short term profits, at the expense of the populace and environment....

I think he's too old. He's in his 70s.

I hope that doesn't come across as 'a bit ageist mate' but I think there needs to be a younger contender.

8 minutes ago, MattW said:

I think he's too old. He's in his 70s.

I hope that doesn't come across as 'a bit ageist mate' but I think there needs to be a younger contender.

Hillary and Donald are both well beyond retirement age too; a symptom shared with the Soviet Union leadership by the late 70s and early 80s, when it started to slowly crumble from within...

Edited by Big Orange

The centrist democrat machine and their media lackeys will work to destroy him just like they did last time. Same as is happening now with corbyn, who has been worn down by fighting on two fronts. The liberal elite have far more to lose from sanders and corbyn than from a predictable(not trump) republican or conservative in power. 

1 hour ago, nothernsoul said:

The centrist democrat machine and their media lackeys will work to destroy him just like they did last time. Same as is happening now with corbyn, who has been worn down by fighting on two fronts. The liberal elite have far more to lose from sanders and corbyn than from a predictable(not trump) republican or conservative in power. 

I think Sanders would have won against Drumpf, and Corbyn did win a moral victory in 2017. But their greatest achievement has been to change the terms of the debate. Most of the Democrat hopefuls are espousing policy agendas in sympathy with Bernie's, even executive insider Joe Biden.

3 hours ago, chronyx said:

Rest assured that regardless of who 'wins', you, me and most on here will continue to get shafted.

Under the American constitution the President is actually not very powerful, certainly nothing like the power of a typical European head of government in terms of being able to initiate and execute domestic policy. Congress holds the purse strings and without money you can't do squat.

Wasn't half his groundswell down to Russian bots? I don't think he's dynamic enough to convince the average American moron to vote for him. He doesn't push the hate button or the love button, just the kind of 'Grampa has some good ideas' button.

17 hours ago, happyguy said:

No thoughts at all - could not care less - cannot do anything about it even if I did 

Could be a sign of things to come. If Corbyn doesn't win the next general election, Labour will dump him. I could easily see a Sanders like-candidate wining the leadership with a slightly more moderate manifesto to Corbyn.

19 hours ago, reddog said:

His chief economic adviser is an MMT proponent (modern monetary theory - basically naked money printing)

All the major parties in both the US and the UK are essentially in agreement on money printing. Under the Republicans, the US is set to post a $1 trillion deficit, despite bizarrely stating that they are fiscally conservative.

Here in the UK, we have senior politicians in the Conservative party talking about a "competitive devaluation" to help cushion Brexit.

I think we are only see the tip of the iceberg when it comes to MMT. Eventually, electorates all over the Western world are going to demand it.

4 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Wasn't half his groundswell down to Russian bots? I don't think he's dynamic enough to convince the average American moron to vote for him. He doesn't push the hate button or the love button, just the kind of 'Grampa has some good ideas' button.

Yes, it was low IQ plebs brainwashed by Russia voting wrongly. Prior to the brainwashing Americans were all happy lefty globalists, just like the founding fathers were.

16 hours ago, zugzwang said:

Corbyn did win a moral victory in 2017.

He lost disastrously, so what on earth is a 'moral victory?'

22 hours ago, reddog said:

One of his policies is a $15 minimum wage for all

This isn't far off George Osborne's minimum wage and I think most (all?) of the Democratic candidates want this minimum wage. I think where he differs from the other leading Democratic candidates is his determination to get money out of politics. The fact that he doesn't take money from banks, oil, pharmaceuticals, private prisons, guns and arms manufacturers, hedge funds etc. means that he can be more principled on a variety of policy issues.

Andrew Yang is well worth checking out as well.

28 minutes ago, Byron said:

I'm not sure it's a moral victory. I think there was a feeling that Labour were gaining popularity, so if the vote had been held later they might have won.

I'm not sure how his loss can be considered disastrous. When the election was called it was widely predicted that the Conservatives would win a landslide. That would have been disastrous.

24 minutes ago, Byron said:

One with no tangible value and not even a victory in this case.

Blair having to recognise the extent to which Corbyn had seen off his enemies was for me even better than had he won. I got a warm glow of satisfaction without having to live through his policies.

Elsewhere I've seen comment that a decent housebuilding strategy, sane immigration policy, a few other tweaks and he'd have been in.

He could then have done what they so often do, tear up most of the promises and carry on with the real plan. Well for a few months anyway.

37 minutes ago, Byron said:

May lost her majority, disastrously.

Corbyn was dismissed as a joke by the Tory yellow press and exceeded everyone's expectations, especially those in his own party of a Blairite/centrist disposition.

I voted for Corbyn, my first vote for 25 years. May had to be told where to get off, imho.  Also, I felt that big majorities can be bad for a democracy where the whip system so stifles dissent. There was an entertaining clash between sir Ian Gilmore and Lady Margaret Thatcher in the 80s on this very subject.

As it happens I live in a constituency with only one possible outcome so there was no chance of my vote helping him into power.