HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:24, bear.getting.old said:

Yes but the overall trend is still up, let's wait and see

At their recent select committee appearance a BoE representative (cannot remember who, it wasn't Carney) described their likely response to a no deal Brexit, in brief it was - provide liquidity, restart QE and a very extended period of near 0% interest rates. 

HOLA449
HOLA4410
On 19/02/2019 at 17:24, bear.getting.old said:

Yes but the overall trend is still up, let's wait and see

The neutral rate of interest (an unobservable rate that is based on an equilibrium between growth and inflation at around 2%) has been falling for years, many years.

The debt burden is too high, and getting higher, for rate rises. The BOE will not raise rates unless they are absolutely forced to, and I mean absolutely. If they raise rates the house of cards will collapse.

A recent thread asked what the level of interest rates might be at the end of 2019. I said 0.1%. I stick by that.

HOLA4411
2 minutes ago, crouch said:

The neutral rate of interest (an unobservable rate that is based on an equilibrium between growth and inflation at around 2%) has been falling for years, many years.

The debt burden is too high, and getting higher, for rate rises. The BOE will not raise rates unless they are absolutely forced to, and I mean absolutely. If they raise rates the house of cards will collapse.

A recent thread asked what the level of interest rates might be at the end of 2019. I said 0.1%. I stick by that.

Yes so if speculators attack sterling post-Brexit, we've now no mechanism to defend it. Hobson's choice will/would be massive debt defaults and recession/depression or massive inflation (due to our over-dependence on imported goods after it was decided for us that we no longer need to manufacture to prosper) and recession/depression.

Better hope those currency speculators are feeling kind, had we not.

HOLA4412
7 minutes ago, zilly said:

Yes so if speculators attack sterling post-Brexit, we've now no mechanism to defend it. Hobson's choice will/would be massive debt defaults and recession/depression or massive inflation (due to our over-dependence on imported goods after it was decided for us that we no longer need to manufacture to prosper) and recession/depression.

Well, there has been talk of negative rates. If that happened on any scale there would be mayhem.

The housing market has been boosted by low rates for many years but low rates, together with a move frm DB schemes, has sent private pension provision down the toilet. Negative rates would complete the job.

All those people who are rubbing their hands at having paid the mortgage off early due to low rates and can now contemplate early retirement will be shocked when they realise how little pension they will receive. House prices rises are immediate; pension falls are a slow burn issue but arguably much more important.

HOLA4413
34 minutes ago, crouch said:

Just out of curiosity, what the the reasoning behind 0..1%? Are you assuming certain events such as soft-brexit? 

P.S. I agree with the rest of the statement.

HOLA4414
9 minutes ago, warrior88 said:

Just out of curiosity, what the the reasoning behind 0..1%? Are you assuming certain events such as soft-brexit? 

P.S. I agree with the rest of the statement.

Because they wiil go down to the absolute minimum.

Negative rates are a real step into the dark and may involve, for instance, banning cash ( because people will keep cash in a mattress rather than be charged for keeping it in a bank). The BOE will hesitate to go below 0%; quite rightly.

That won't prevent house prices from falling, however, but the effect on pensions will continue. The "my house is my pension" brigade may be disappointed as their house will go down in value but their pension will not increase commensurately.  

HOLA4415
6 minutes ago, zilly said:

Don't rule out another sovereign debt downgrade from Standard & Poor's/Moody's.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
35 minutes ago, crouch said:

banning cash ( because people will keep cash in a mattress rather than be charged for keeping it in a bank)

Just going to jump in here and point out that this is not the case.

When coins were not tokens (i.e. their value was derived mostly from their precious metal content), you would find it reasonable to pay someone to keep your coins safe in a vault and guarantee to return your coins by taking out insurance (i.e. a bank). This represents a negative interest rate.

You could earn interest by permitting them lend your money out, but then you would have to accept a risk that the loan would fail. The more interest, the more risk of losing your capital.

If you store your cash at home "for free", you run the risk of being robbed.

So yes, natural negative interest rates are possible, even without banning cash.

HOLA4418
7 minutes ago, Locke said:

Just going to jump in here and point out that this is not the case.

When coins were not tokens (i.e. their value was derived mostly from their precious metal content), you would find it reasonable to pay someone to keep your coins safe in a vault and guarantee to return your coins by taking out insurance (i.e. a bank). This represents a negative interest rate.

You could earn interest by permitting them lend your money out, but then you would have to accept a risk that the loan would fail. The more interest, the more risk of losing your capital.

If you store your cash at home "for free", you run the risk of being robbed.

So yes, natural negative interest rates are possible, even without banning cash.

I believe in Japan they have had shortages of home safes precisely because people were hoarding cash.

Whilst negative interest rates are possible without banning cash are they likely? If rates are -0.1% then you probably wouldn't have to ban cash. But what if they were perceived to have to be at -5% to have any effect? Do you really think that banning cash would not come up for consideration in this situation?

HOLA4419
11 minutes ago, crouch said:

I believe in Japan they have had shortages of home safes precisely because people were hoarding cash.

Whilst negative interest rates are possible without banning cash are they likely? If rates are -0.1% then you probably wouldn't have to ban cash. But what if they were perceived to have to be at -5% to have any effect? Do you really think that banning cash would not come up for consideration in this situation?

I'm saying natural negative interest rates are possible. Interest rate is a natural product of economic conditions and even people's propensity towards crime and fraud. You are less likely to be robbed today than 500 years ago, so I guess the negative rate you would accept before storing it yourself is less extreme (closer to 0)

Anyway, the overall point is that these distortions are a direct result of the government's pervasive level of control over the currency.

HOLA4420
2 minutes ago, Locke said:

I'm saying natural negative interest rates are possible. Interest rate is a natural product of economic conditions and even people's propensity towards crime and fraud. You are less likely to be robbed today than 500 years ago, so I guess the negative rate you would accept before storing it yourself is less extreme (closer to 0)

Anyway, the overall point is that these distortions are a direct result of the government's pervasive level of control over the currency.

Absolutely.

HOLA4421
47 minutes ago, Locke said:

Which is something they would not be able to do if we were in the Euro.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

It certainly is because it's not targeted at national asset bubbles like the UK housing market.

I'm not sure it is targeted at housing bubbles; I know many people believe that but if we'd had much higher rates we'd have had much lower notional growth and asset classes would have collapsed and yes, we'd have lower house prices. But all assets would have collapsed not just housing.

I'm not justifying the low rate policy because I think it's put us between a rock and a hard place but there would have been much wider economic problems had we had higher rates, notwithstanding the fact that higher growth was little more than the spending of borrowed money.

HOLA4425
9 hours ago, crouch said:

Because they wiil go down to the absolute minimum.

Negative rates are a real step into the dark and may involve, for instance, banning cash ( because people will keep cash in a mattress rather than be charged for keeping it in a bank). The BOE will hesitate to go below 0%; quite rightly.

That won't prevent house prices from falling, however, but the effect on pensions will continue. The "my house is my pension" brigade may be disappointed as their house will go down in value but their pension will not increase commensurately.  

There's now > $ 10 trillion in sovereign debt worldwide carrying negative yield. Moreover, both the ECB and BoJ have dropped their respective interest rates on excess reserves into negative territory in a vain attempt to encourage lending. The idea that the BoE wouldn't follow suit seems highly improbable to me.