House Price Crash Forum

4 hours ago, 2rocketman said:

Has anyone ever looked into/considered relocating to Andorra? 

2R

A nice place, lovely scenery. Been there. A serious contender for a place with friendly taxation regime combined with very high quality of life; knowing a local language would help a lot. Here's an English expat's assessment:

https://andorraguides.com/living/what-it-is-like/

1 hour ago, reddog said:

No, why?  What's the attraction for you?

I know of someone emigrating to New Zealand so come across it while looking as you do. Sounds fantastic on paper though. Great health care, one of the best education systems in Europe, low cost of living, low taxes, one of the lowest crime rates in the world, long summers, skiing in the winter (if thats your cup of tea) great scenery as mention by Meerkat. I guess you could visit Spain and France in the same day also. I’ve never heard anyone mention it or known anyone to move there.

2 hours ago, Ah-so said:

For priced out first time buyers? Beats a new build in Luton.

Yes, I would say it beats Luton. 

1 hour ago, Meerkat said:

A nice place, lovely scenery. Been there. A serious contender for a place with friendly taxation regime combined with very high quality of life; knowing a local language would help a lot. Here's an English expat's assessment:

It’s safe to walk the city (or village) streets at dark. Cyclists don’t lock up their bikes while at a cafe. It’s not uncommon to see a car idling, keys in the ignition outside of a bakery or bank!

I don’t think there are too many places left in the UK that you could say this about! 

Relocating to: NO

just hoovering up a job lot of cheeky new build exec apartments on the outskirts of some up and coming hotspot in: YES YES YES

Edited by thewig

12 hours ago, Meerkat said:

1 hour ago, thewig said:

just hoovering up a job lot of cheeky new build exec apartments on the outskirts of some up and coming hotspot in: YES YES YES

Simon moved to Andorra in 1986 then co-founded the first English-language services company.

After incorporating Servissim in 1990, he went on to be the only Englishman to pass the qualification exams as a professional Estate Agent. In 2002 he became President of the International Club of Andorra.

Today, Servissim helps new and existing residents with property sales, property services and adapting to their new country.

I passed through Andorra and spent a couple of days there one summer long ago on the way back from Spain. Beautiful peaceful place. I expect though that it is packed with ski-ing holidymakers in winter.

I'm thinking that it's economy may be tourism, financial services and low tax goods shopping - a bit like Gibraltar.

In fact, got the car searched rigourously at the border on the way out - seems cigarettes are big business - as in Gib.

As for settling there? I would suggest any immigrant to look at the realities, the first is to learn the native language to a good standard. That takes years. Except that in this case, due to the geographical position there are three languages - French, Spanish and Catalan (which is difficult even if you know Castellano).

6 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

To become a citizen of Andorra you have to pass a test in Catalan.:D (and live there for 20 years)

On 14/02/2019 at 08:03, Locke said:

If you look past the front page of his guide, there is also all the detail about getting a residency and work permit.

Quite a difficult process!

An unspoilt place in many ways unlike so much of Europe...but don't they want GROWTH?? 🙁 What are their politicians thinking of?!