House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Reaching out.

The latest? I think not.

The yanks I deal with four days a week were continually "reaching out" as long ago as 2011.  My colleague here was and still is driven nuts by this phraseology, thereby providing me with a scintilla of entertainment from time to time.

Is it any different to contacting someone?  Absolutely not. 

2 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

"Reaching out" seems to be the latest craze, everyone's at it.

Is it different to "contacting" or "making contact with".

I always thought it was meant to be used ironically.  Tony Soprano used it to mean threatening or using violence against people.

Interesting, this needs defining.

Norman Smith (Asst. Political Editor) used it on BBC News this morning, regarding one politician "reaching out" to another. So is Theresa May merely wanting to talk to Jeremy Corbyn, or had he better make himself scarce?

On 11/02/2019 at 11:41, Bruce Banner said:

"Reaching out" seems to be the latest craze, everyone's at it.

Is it different to "contacting" or "making contact with".

Well, obviously, 'reaching out' is different from merely 'contacting', in that it is a form of contact with implied mutual benefit for offeror and recipient. There is also a sense of magnanimity on the part of the offeror since although they stand to benefit from such contact, they do so from a position of strength. In this regard, the offeror and recipient roles are not exchangeable, and thus the contact is 'asymmetric' even if the offeror insists parties to a 'reaching out' will be equals.

Any contact that does not have these features is not really "reaching out". In a business setting, parties usually have many contacts and should in theory not become dependant on a single client / creditor etc. Internally, depts should consider themselves on the same 'team' and not consider themselves beholden to others. That means, ideally,  there should never be truly superior parties and thus asymmetry. That means contact should never truly be regarded as 'reaching out'. To imply otherwise suggests corruption or an inflated sense of ones own worth.

Bruce, thanks for reaching out to raise this, I agree that there is a piece here that we may need to address. I will schedule a meeting to explore this issue and discuss possible next steps.

I have seen /heard this phrase used by evangelical churches as far back as the 80s - they use it in a missionary context, e.g. "reaching out" to the local community when they run soup kitchens, go street preaching, etc. 

On 13/02/2019 at 15:42, Sledgehead said:

Well, obviously, 'reaching out' is different from merely 'contacting', in that it is a form of contact with implied mutual benefit for offeror and recipient. There is also a sense of magnanimity on the part of the offeror since although they stand to benefit from such contact, they do so from a position of strength. In this regard, the offeror and recipient roles are not exchangeable, and thus the contact is 'asymmetric' even if the offeror insists parties to a 'reaching out' will be equals.

Any contact that does not have these features is not really "reaching out". In a business setting, parties usually have many contacts and should in theory not become dependant on a single client / creditor etc. Internally, depts should consider themselves on the same 'team' and not consider themselves beholden to others. That means, ideally,  there should never be truly superior parties and thus asymmetry. That means contact should never truly be regarded as 'reaching out'. To imply otherwise suggests corruption or an inflated sense of ones own worth.

It does strike me as passive aggressive office speak.