House Price Crash Forum

How long can we last?

PeanutButter

HOLA441

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/mar/20/pesticide-residues-produce-even-after-washing-us

Pesticide residues found in 70% of produce sold in US even after washing

About 70% of fresh produce sold in the US has pesticide residues on it even after it is washed, according to a health advocacy group.

According to the Environmental Working Group’s annual analysis of US Department of Agriculture data, strawberries, spinach and kale are among the most pesticide-heavy produce, while avocados, sweetcorn and pineapples had the lowest level of residues.

More than 92% of kale tested contained two or more pesticide residues, according to the analysis, and a single sample of conventionally farmed kale could contain up to 18 different pesticides.

Dacthal – the most common pesticide found, which was detected in nearly 60% of kale samples, is banned in Europe and classified as a possible human carcinogen in the US.

Can't wait to sign a trade deal for delicious cheap American cancer food. 

HOLA442
1 minute ago, PeanutButter said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/mar/20/pesticide-residues-produce-even-after-washing-us

Pesticide residues found in 70% of produce sold in US even after washing

Can't wait to sign a trade deal for delicious cheap American cancer food. 

Don't like it then don't buy it. I'd love to see a situation where tons piles in but no-one actually buys it.

HOLA443
2 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Don't like it then don't buy it. I'd love to see a situation where tons piles in but no-one actually buys it.

I don't want it created, I don't want it to exist because to get to the shelf for purchase it requires the poisoning of vast tracts of land. If they can't sell it directly to consumers via supermarkets they'll process it into long-life plastic tray ready-slop. And I'm also tired of poor people having to eat food that makes them ill. 

In other news today:

HOLA444
HOLA445
28 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

I don't want it created

Unfortunately it does and it'll spread as long as people keep buying it. If it makes things cheaper it will dominate everywhere sooner or later. That's the path of "progress" and why I increasingly view it as damaging and mostly undesirable. It would end if people would reject it, which is why I'd love to see that happen but people are people and whilst they can get whipped up in a hysteria about something for a while unless you offer them an equally cheap alternative they'll forget about it in the end and lap it up. Immediate short-term appeal always wins.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
On 11/02/2019 at 10:43, Riedquat said:

The decline is a serious concern, but unfortunately yet again they've spoiled the concern with drawing a ridiculous conclusion about them all being threatened within a century. Such scaremongering is counterproductive.

It’s just a lull before they rule the Earth!

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA449
On 19/03/2019 at 11:42, PeanutButter said:

In the vast majority of quarters you're simply NOT ALLOWED to talk about population or demographics. The capitalists require more workers, the religions require more adherents, the cannons require fodder. 

Of course in USA you're not allowed to even talk about contraception because it triggers the pro-lifers into screaming frenzies. But you know, there's a reason the Bible ends in an apocalypse. Infinite growth in a finite system. 

Image result for human population growth

Soylent Green anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4410
On 14/02/2019 at 04:32, MarkG said:

And who's out there actually counting all these insects?

There have actually been a few multi decadal studies of insect numbers by dedicated scientists doing it for science's sake. Such dull boring research is showing its value now.

HOLA4411
2 hours ago, Si1 said:

There have actually been a few multi decadal studies of insect numbers by dedicated scientists doing it for science's sake. Such dull boring research is showing its value now.

There's also anecdotal evidence, such as getting fewer splattered over the windscreen although that could be down to different aerodynamics in modern cars.

HOLA4412
4 hours ago, Riedquat said:

There's also anecdotal evidence, such as getting fewer splattered over the windscreen although that could be down to different aerodynamics in modern cars.

It was actually the windscreen evidence that got insect ecosystem experts digging out their historical data to look at what was happening.

HOLA4413

Archived