House Price Crash Forum
Bruce Banner

Is Theresa May doing a good job with Brexit? - Poll.

Is Theresa May doing a good job with Brexit?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Is Theresa May doing a good job with Brexit?

Ultra $hite, yet better than I expected

🤜™️

Her greatest asset, that she has demonstrated throughout her political career has been her ability to turn everything she touches into an EPIC FAIL! A reverse midus touch, when applied to Brex$hit that has ironically been well deployed and has spread consistantly through the Tory's at pace.

A tentative YES vote... maybe.

No. 

But I'm not convinced anyone could do any better either. 

We'll end up getting shafted by disaster capitalists whoever is in charge, which (I think) seems to be the main point of it. 

I honestly can't decide if she is massively incompetent and deluded about the mess she has put together, or alternatively that the whole thing is a clever wheeze designed to produce a Brexit that is so manifestly terrible that it gets quickly reversed resulting in the remain result that she secretly wanted all along.

On the bright side if we get a hard brexit and then they bring in food rationing that might do something to fix the obesity epidemic.

Before being PM she got the reputation of being a safe pair of hands. In a documentary about her, one of her old university friends said she was ambitious, capable but not a first rate intellect (first rate intellects generally do not suit practical politics anyway, michael foot, enoch powell etc) 

However, she obviously lacks charisma and imagination. Her leadership has been characterised by bold policies which are probably the correct ones in the long run, reviewing Hinkley nuclear power plant, the so called altzheimer tax during the election campaign, which she almost instantly backtracked on when there was any push back. 

If she had the guts, she would back Corbyns brexit plan, which the EU could support, and could possibly get through parliament, and would at least fulfil the letter of the referendum outcome.  However she is frightened of splitting the tory party (which i doubt would happen) so she wastes time trying to find compromises for those who dont want to compromise. 

59 minutes ago, nothernsoul said:

...her old university friends said she was ambitious, capable but not a first rate intellect...

I also remember that many of them said she stood for nothing and wasn't about anything in particular. Which I found strange for someone who was to be the shoe in priminster of the UK. How very Maybot like.

4 hours ago, byron78 said:

I'm not convinced anyone could do any better either.

This is probably right about the negotiations. But she made several mistakes which I'm not sure an alternative PM would have made. She triggered article 50 before having an idea of what she wanted to achieve or whether it was achievable. She called a general election, didn't campaign well and didn't attend the debates.

I find it almost inconceivable that she made no provisions to prepare the country for a no-deal Brexit.

Preparations for this should have started in August 2016 and been continuously updated. 

Why ? Because when you enter a negotiation situation or any situation really, you should proceed with an action by judging how things are actually likely to pan out, not how you would simply like them to pan out, in the best of all possible worlds. The latter thinking is the kind of thought process that assumed the Iraqis would be greeting American and Brit soldiers with flowers and hummus when they invaded in 2003. 

The EU Commission was never going to fight fair in this situation, it was never going to be reasonable. It was always going to try and make the UK suffer, conspicuously and visibly suffer, as a result of Brexit.

May should have seen that miles in advance and prepared the country accordingly. 

But maybe she simply thought that the country had lost its balls, and didn't have the courage for a no-deal Brexit, therefore that path could not be followed.  That would explain a lot of her subsequent actions if so.

24 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

This is probably right about the negotiations. But she made several mistakes which I'm not sure an alternative PM would have made. She triggered article 50 before having an idea of what she wanted to achieve or whether it was achievable. She called a general election, didn't campaign well and didn't attend the debates.

Yes, all errors on her watch you're right. 

Triggering Article 50 without a plan is perhaps one of the stupidest things I've seen a PM do. I'm sure she was convinced by some of the swivel-eyed sorts in her cabinet Brexit would be a doddle, but frankly if she was stupid enough to swallow that (and A LOT of us Leavers did) she rightly deserves scorn. 

I can understand her not debating after calling a GE to be honest. Austerity was a crock Osborne nicked from the EU and the country was (is) in a proper mess as a result of some pretty daft economic decisions on Cameron/Osborne's part. 

But again... you're spot on. May was an eegit if she didn't see a kicking coming at a GE.

The next GE will be mental if Brexit isn't sorted before then. 

I honestly can't see how it can be and would happily change my vote to Remain tomorrow if I could. I still think Leave will trigger a crash (which is why I backed it), but hindsight tells me our politicians are out for themselves not the good of the country. I'm embarrassed I didn't see through that 2 and a half years ago if I'm honest. 

Suspect we'll eventually find out Russia waded in and meddled as well. Aaron Banks is dodgy as. 

Being an Anarchist, I believe the only way out of the mess we are in is via the collapse of the whole system. Therefore May is doing a great job, so I voted yes.  I can sleep soundly at night when I look a the likes of Corbyn, May, Trump, Ocasio-Cortez, Macron, et al. They give me the warm fuzzies.

4 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

Can we have another vote if we don't like the result?

May's a remainer. That's why she's done a terrible job.

Apologies if it was posted before.

With respect. 

That's nonsense. 

Knowing (a bit) about how Brexit is being negotiated and all the departments etc at work on it, the idea it's failing simply because of a PM is ludicrous. 

There was no plan. The people who pushed for Brexit for 25 years+ HAD NO PLAN. 

Farage, BoJo and co are all work shy populists. 

Very good at playing to the gallery. 

Not so good at actually getting anything proactive done. 

32 minutes ago, Society of fools said:

I find it almost inconceivable that she made no provisions to prepare the country for a no-deal Brexit.

The establishment are totally opposed to leaving the EU. May was hired to do her best to prevent it. So obviously she's not going to plan for the almost inevitable result; the EU were never going to give Britain a good deal because it would encourage more countries to leave.