House Price Crash Forum

Were you mis-sold your IO mortgage? It begins...

HOLA441
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

At least there's some acknowledgment in their part there, that they've learned.

Yes, they were young and had only ever seen prices rise as adults. What gets me though is she (I think female) said in reference to taking legal action that her parents always told her if it looked to good to be true it probably was. Now I don't know if her parents tried to talk them out of buying, but from my experience parents are generally pushing their kids to buy.

So a lot of people are at fault here. Grown ups should know better but they don't anymore.

Edited by Captain Kirk

HOLA447
21 hours ago, Discustard said:

How can you buy in 2007 and be in negative equity now?  We are just off all time high prices, certainly recovered from the crash and more.  If they have kept up payments on the interest-only mortgage they should be able to sell up and just call it square (at least).

We know someone who bought a new build in 2007 on a big new estate.... next thing you know a giant travel lodge was built on the very front of the estate.. and is colour coded to the flats. Now It looks like one big giant travel lodge complex... 

HOLA448
21 hours ago, Discustard said:

How can you buy in 2007 and be in negative equity now?  We are just off all time high prices, certainly recovered from the crash and more.  If they have kept up payments on the interest-only mortgage they should be able to sell up and just call it square (at least).

Property ATM thats how. 

HOLA449
HOLA4410
40 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Property ATM thats how. 

That has been highly encouraged.....one sure way to pump cash into the economy, keeping it ticking over.....we need our homes to cover our costs, to keep us feeling well off, as a financial safety net, a future financial backup......equity release anyone?;)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
5 hours ago, winkie said:

Quite.......I suspect they are desperately trying to find something to replace PPI...?

Did everyone get ppi though. 

I put a claim in got nothing, I mean I never had any ppi but what difference does that make. PPI for everyone or it's not fair.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
24 minutes ago, nome said:

At the very least these IO mortgage holders will be bailed out with extensions to their repayment period, probably indefinite extensions and they'll just become ''lifetime mortgages''.

That's happening with IO mortgages for the retired, isn't it

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
4 hours ago, winkie said:

I am sure the rent they pay as IO past retirement to the lender, will be a lot less than another person has to pay to a landlord years into retirement up until death......will the pension cover it??

The chances of the pension covering IO on an old mortgage is probably higher than keeping up with rents. 

HOLA4417
5 hours ago, nome said:

At the very least these IO mortgage holders will be bailed out with extensions to their repayment period, probably indefinite extensions and they'll just become ''lifetime mortgages''.

Yes.  This has already started and it will become a massive growth industry over the next ten years. 

The banks like it - secure income stream for the rest of the borrower's life. The government is happy that huge numbers do not get repossessed and the borrowers don't have a choice. 

HOLA4418
57 minutes ago, Ah-so said:

The chances of the pension covering IO on an old mortgage is probably higher than keeping up with rents. 

That is what I said......my question is, being that fewer people today are buying, they are still renting 60 years of age plus, who will be paying their rent?......can they claim compensation?.....blame and claim.?

HOLA4419
On 08/02/2019 at 18:01, Discustard said:

Example next door to us. Semi detached in row of 8 houses bought for £240k in July 2007 by late 20’s couple. 

Their divorce went through before Christmas, no work done to house in 12 years. He’s asked us if we’re interested cos he can’t afford it even on interest only (can’t believe that!) - we’ve rented next door for 13 years. For sale sign went up last Monday....£175k!

Next door neighbour the other side thinks it’s a disgrace and should be worth more as it devalues all the houses in the row...I’ll add he bought his ex council house for £26k in 2006 ish!!!

This country’s attitude to houses is ******in nuts!

HOLA4420
28 minutes ago, MinistryMan said:

Example next door to us. Semi detached in row of 8 houses bought for £240k in July 2007 by late 20’s couple. 

Their divorce went through before Christmas, no work done to house in 12 years. He’s asked us if we’re interested cos he can’t afford it even on interest only (can’t believe that!) - we’ve rented next door for 13 years. For sale sign went up last Monday....£175k!

Next door neighbour the other side thinks it’s a disgrace and should be worth more as it devalues all the houses in the row...I’ll add he bought his ex council house for £26k in 2006 ish!!!

This country’s attitude to houses is ******in nuts!

And the government puts price caps on energy because people are being ripped off by £76 a year (apparently).

But becoming financially ruined by a state-sponsored ponzi scheme is perfectly acceptable.

HOLA4421
3 hours ago, MinistryMan said:

The other houses in the row have already gone down in value, regardless of this sale. All it's doing it proving it.

But the ball is in his court - tell him plainly that he can, if he chooses to, "preserve the value" of his house by putting an offer in for £240k for the house that's really worth under £175k. He can either put his money where his mouth is, or SHUT UP :)

HOLA4422
On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 18:01, Discustard said:

There are a lot of places where prices are lower now than they were in 2007. Near enough anywhere in NI, for a start. I have friends who bought in I think December 2006 there and the value is still lower than what they paid. Sensibly they did have a repayment mortgage, so they're not in NE, but the picture across the UK is very uneven. It's very possible to have bought in 2007 and for the house to be worth less now than what you paid for it. Of course, many of the people in that position still aren't in NE because they're not interest only.

HOLA4423
On 08/02/2019 at 18:01, Discustard said:

In the North west it is possible there are places where prices have not recovered.  Some of the places have had very few recent immigrants.  I have family who pointed this out (ironically they are recent immigrants there).

HOLA4424

I was about to despair if this was the next PPI....but it isn't.  Good.  If anything this thread has me relieved that there is some common sense amongst mumsnet users, and therefore the general public at large.

There is a fundamental difference between being sold a PPI policy that you literally can NEVER claim on (which is clear mis-selling) and being sold an IO mortgage instead of a repayment one (which is a swings-and-roundabouts decision).

Even if it was upheld in some cases that the IO was mis-sold (for example, if paperwork shows false or misleading facts about IO were provided at the time) the actual level of compensation would not necessarily be that much: because surely it isn't your loss on the property that's the claim, but your loss compared to some "alternative universe" where you had a repayment mortgage, which feels like that must be fairly close to all square.  Even if you lost value in the 2007-8 crash (or some future HPC) that's not necessarily meriting compensation, as you'd have been hit by that whatever mortgage product you took out.  And could you really run a legal argument "I'd never have bought this house at all if I'd have been correctly informed about the IO mortgage"?  I doubt it .  And if the house has gone up in value the judge would surely just say "well, yes the IO mortgage was mis-sold but - oh look, you've actually BENEFITTED from it!  Sell it, take your profit, and move on."  You can't sue for things that made you a profit, as you need to prove both negligence AND loss!

HOLA4425
6 hours ago, scottbeard said:

I was about to despair if this was the next PPI....but it isn't.  Good.  If anything this thread has me relieved that there is some common sense amongst mumsnet users, and therefore the general public at large.

There is a fundamental difference between being sold a PPI policy that you literally can NEVER claim on (which is clear mis-selling) and being sold an IO mortgage instead of a repayment one (which is a swings-and-roundabouts decision).

Even if it was upheld in some cases that the IO was mis-sold (for example, if paperwork shows false or misleading facts about IO were provided at the time) the actual level of compensation would not necessarily be that much: because surely it isn't your loss on the property that's the claim, but your loss compared to some "alternative universe" where you had a repayment mortgage, which feels like that must be fairly close to all square.  Even if you lost value in the 2007-8 crash (or some future HPC) that's not necessarily meriting compensation, as you'd have been hit by that whatever mortgage product you took out.  And could you really run a legal argument "I'd never have bought this house at all if I'd have been correctly informed about the IO mortgage"?  I doubt it .  And if the house has gone up in value the judge would surely just say "well, yes the IO mortgage was mis-sold but - oh look, you've actually BENEFITTED from it!  Sell it, take your profit, and move on."  You can't sue for things that made you a profit, as you need to prove both negligence AND loss!

Of course the biggest elephant in the room mis-selling scandal is Help To Buy...Lending someone taxpayers money to create a "faux deposit" to take out a mortgage loan otherwise deemed too risky for even the most reckless commercial money lender.   Deliberately circumventing the FCA's own risk management.  And using said loan to finance property at an outrageously inflated price above market valuation,  with the proceeds of the fraud going to a few chosen chums of Tory politicians.   And just calling it  "Help to Buy" is the ultimate smoking gun that proves mis-selling.