House Price Crash Forum
Webmaster

This Website Is Getting Busier

A huge growth since the start of this year which cannot be put down to increased internet usage.

My guess is that more and more people are typing it into google. I wonder why that is? Hmmm.

what i find interesting is during the run up to the sipps reversal, site traffic was reducing, as soon as the government reversed its decission on sipps popularity recovered...

Interesting.

Try comparign the HPC traffic to the Firstrung traffic and then to Rightmove traffic.

We are giving first rung a hell of a beating

On the other hand Rightmove usage has shot up since the new year.

We need to advertise with a link on Rightmove !!!!!!!!!

Edited by paradox

who the heck wants a piece of spyware called alexa sitting as a toolbar on your browser sending information about you and your habits back to a central computer so companies can deciede where to best target advertising too.

I think alexa traffic should be put down to how thick the audience is to allow this

Interesting.

We are giving first rung a hell of a beating Try comparign the HPC traffic to the Firstrung traffic and then to Rightmove traffic.

On the other hand Rightmove usage has shot up since the new year.

We need to advertise with a link on Rightmove !!!!!!!!!

When you say "we", to whom are you referring? and why are you pleased to be ahead of an organisation that went live with it`s revised proposition in Sept 2005? :blink: Incidentally the firstrung traffic peaked at 45K, in the last 3 months the reach per million is up 1,114%, the traffic rank is up by 917,142. That`s an outstanding performance over the past 3 months.

It's probably worth remembering that Alexa stats are (largely) a measure of web use in The States, so if lots of Americans are googling for "house price crash", that might explain at least some of the recent increase.

When you say "we", to whom are you referring? and why are you pleased to be ahead of an organisation that went live with it`s revised proposition in Sept 2005? Incidentally the firstrung traffic peaked at 45K, in the last 3 months the reach per million is up 1,114%, the traffic rank is up by 917,142. That`s an outstanding performance over the past 3 months.

OK, I was getting a bit carried away with the football type tribalism and I know nothing of the details. I was just commenting that on the graph I saw, it seemed that HPC had far more hits than Firstrung. Nothing serious.

OK, I was getting a bit carried away with the football type tribalism and I know nothing of the details. I was just commenting that on the graph I saw, it seemed that HPC had far more hits than Firstrung. Nothing serious.

Hmm...but why the tribalism? HPC is a labour of love for Greg and he should be applauded for it. There are obvious synergies between FR and HPC, however, HPC can afford to be radical, others cannot for fear of alienating advertisers/sponsors/potential investors. One is a commercial proposition, already having a benchmark valuation, the other isn`t (in its current form). ;)

Point taken, and dont get me wrong. The HPC webmaster and crew deserve medals for what they have done.

Actually I have no idea who is behind Firstrung and what its history is. However I guess I thought that Firstrung was more established and older than you are now informing me. If it only started in September then it has done very well.

Point taken, and dont get me wrong. The HPC webmaster and crew deserve medals for what they have done.

Actually I have no idea who is behind Firstrung and what its history is. However I guess I thought that Firstrung was more established and older than you are now informing me. If it only started in September then it has done very well.

Here`s a thing re Alexa. Basically well below 100K and the measurement is fairly accurate, 100K+ and it is difficult to gauge. Most marketing companies, that plan online campaigns (such as mediavest, mediacom) pay little or no attention to their figures because, as other posters point out, unless you have their tool bar, initially marketed to stop pop ups, then the traffic details are worthless. My own opinion, for what it`s worth, is that with 10 mil users, predominantly in the US, it is a useful measurement, but cannot displace unique visitor numbers etc. the stats that most marketeers use. Here`s a bit of communication from them...

Thank you for contacting Alexa Internet.

Alexa bases all ranking information on the web usage of Alexa Toolbar

users. We do not have access to any web site's private usage logs. For

more detailed information about Alexa's traffic rankings, please visit:

http://pages.alexa.com/prod_serv/traffic_learn_more.html

Alexa's traffic rankings are based on the usage patterns of Alexa

Toolbar users over a rolling 3 month period. A site's ranking is based

on a combined measure of Reach and Page Views. Reach is determined by

the number of unique Alexa users who visit a site on a given day. Page

Views are the total number of Alexa user URL requests for a site.

However, multiple requests for the same URL on the same day by the same

user are counted as a single Page View. The site with the highest

combination of users and Page Views is ranked #1.

Please also note that sites with relatively low measured traffic will

not be accurately ranked by Alexa. Alexa's data comes from a large

sample of several million Alexa Toolbar users; however, we do not

receive enough data from our users to make rankings over 100,000+

statistically meaningful. (Conversely, the closer a site gets to #1, the

more reliable its rank.) This means that, for example, the difference in

traffic between a site ranked 400,000 and a site ranked 800,000 is

statistically negligible. Sites ranked 100,000+ are subject to large

ranking swings due to the scarcity of data for those sites. In such

cases, a single user (or the lack of one) can make a dramatic impact.

We appreciate your interest in Alexa.

Best regards,

Alexa Internet Customer Service

What has this thread got to do with house prices (it should be in About housepricecrash.co.uk) – if anyone else posts anything off topic (well anything the webmaster does not like) it gets moved straight away – but not this one – can’t the webmasters keep to there own rules!

Guest Bart of Darkness

Looks like all those trolls over the December/January period have (i) boosted web traffic and (ii) helped break the record for the number of users on-line.

Cheers lads. :P

Edited by Bart of Darkness

What has this thread got to do with house prices (it should be in About housepricecrash.co.uk) – if anyone else posts anything off topic (well anything the webmaster does not like) it gets moved straight away – but not this one – can’t the webmasters keep to there own rules!

started about 100 topics on here from everything from rioting to the death of ronnie barker, and none have been removed, so your topics musta have been pretty odd for the mod's to remove it.

Ive found this site quite liberal in the way its run, the mods only interject at extremes, thats the way it should be, one mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter and all that.

Do you think the Alexa stats and the spike in traffic experienced by HPC from Dec 24th onwards will have any bearing on the impending UK plc HPC if these stats are fed into mainstream society ? :P Is that better ;)

What has this thread got to do with house prices (it should be in About housepricecrash.co.uk) – if anyone else posts anything off topic (well anything the webmaster does not like) it gets moved straight away – but not this one – can't the webmasters keep to there own rules!

Fair point!

I look forward to now having all my posts moved almost straight away rather than just the occasional one –

if your going to upset someone they might as well be someone at the top

Would you like salt and vinegar with that chip of yours :rolleyes: