House Price Crash Forum
Si1

Tories - the NIMBY party of narrow self interest

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/17417258.flooding-concerns-fail-to-scupper-plans-for-homes-on-field-in-menston/

Lib Dems and Labour councillors approved the planning application, but Tory councillor objected:

"Councillor Jackie Whiteley (Cons, Wharfedale) was one of the objectors, and also questioned the sustainability of the site. She said: “There is a lack of infrastructure. People in the village will be affected by inadequate drainage and sewage. There are train links to Leeds and Bradford, but the Bradford trains are never full, showing there are probably few jobs in Bradford that can pay the mortgages for the houses people in Menston live in. The station car park is also inadequate.""

wtf?

Edited by Si1

Attempted Translation: we don't want people from Bradford coming here; even if there are plenty of trains. They're dirty, those people from Bradford, so we'd need more drains. Plus they'll lower house values those Bradford people; but Leeds people might be OK.  

Wonder what the difference is between people from Bradford and Leeds?  ( I'm not from up north so I don't know ). ? 

I dont think Ive been on that road but my sister lives i nthe area.

There is a serious problem caused by flooding in that area.

Building a load of houses wont help it.

Besides, there are plenty of houses fro sale n a 10m radius round. Place does not need more houses.

Better draining yes.

47 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Someone has the decency to try to stop yet more depressing overdevelopment and people whinge and insult. Depressingly predictable.

That's fine in which case that point should be raised as an objection.

41 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Besides, there are plenty of houses fro sale n a 10m radius round. Place does not need more houses.

Better draining yes.

The hydrological surveys say this can be circumvented/managed.

1 hour ago, 24gray24 said:

Attempted Translation: we don't want people from Bradford coming here; even if there are plenty of trains. They're dirty, those people from Bradford, so we'd need more drains. Plus they'll lower house values those Bradford people; but Leeds people might be OK.  

Wonder what the difference is between people from Bradford and Leeds?  ( I'm not from up north so I don't know ). ? 

It's just postcode snobbery. Money, primarily.

1 hour ago, Si1 said:

The hydrological surveys say this can be circumvented/managed.

Can but will it?

Problem with property velocipedes  is they promise stuff - schools, this that, then dont deliver.

2 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Can but will it?

Problem with property velocipedes  is they promise stuff - schools, this that, then dont deliver.

They have to by law as part of the planning and design process.

They are all as bad as each other...most local politicians work to frustrate housing provision.  They do this because its what their vocal and politically active comfortably housed constituents want and they don't give a shot for those living in cramped HMOs or with their elderly parents into their 40s etc.

My local councillor routinely boasts in his news letter how he has frustrated housing provision.

Tyranny of the majority...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority

It's really stark where I live - Labour and Liberal politicians advertise their house building prowess, Tories go on NIMBY marches.

3 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Someone has the decency to try to stop yet more depressing overdevelopment and people whinge and insult. Depressingly predictable.

One person's 'overdevelopment' they might have to glance at for a few seconds as they drive past is another person's home where they build a life for themselves.

51 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

Only 1.1% of England's landmass is occupied by homes. You get locked up if you try to live on the rest.

You try telling people that and their eyes glaze over.  The myth that the UK is running out of space is a popular one that helps people with a vested interest in keeping land scarce.

Globally...

we now have over seven billion, and the mothers of the next two billion are alive now and approaching the age of reproduction. Preachers, scientists and politicians will not stop the basic human function of eating and procreation, so if unchecked nine billion people will be here by 2040/50, and set to go on rising after that. Every new arrival expects to be fed, watered, clothed and housed, but by no stretch of the imagination will the global food system be able to feed that number let alone sustain them with what would be expected by way of the most basic material comfort.

We'll certainly have to build and build and keep building, never stopping. Not just houses but new schools, new hospitals, all the roads and bridges connecting them, and the government buildings, the offices, the warehouses,  the factories, the nurseries and shopping centres, cinemas, bowling alleys, football pitches, service stations and car parks. 

https://medium.com/@End_of_More/the-oilparty-is-over-c06d3c723655

2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Globally...

We'll certainly have to build and build and keep building, never stopping. Not just houses but new schools, new hospitals, all the roads and bridges connecting them, and the government buildings, the offices, the warehouses,  the factories, the nurseries and shopping centres, cinemas, bowling alleys, football pitches, service stations and car parks. 

https://medium.com/@End_of_More/the-oilparty-is-over-c06d3c723655

But most of that population growth will happen in Africa, which is a huge resource-rich continent (over 2/3rds the size of Asia) which can comfortably accommodate it.

Cue Colonel Blimp-style spluttering about 4 billion Africans trying to move to the UK on dinghys despite the fact that UN data shows less than 100k people per year crossing the Mediterranean at present which is a vanishingly small number given that the continents either side have about a billion people each.

8 hours ago, spyguy said:

Better draining yes.

Drainage can all be put in before work starts and balancing lakes created if needed. The Tory MP is doing the all too common NIMBYism, doesn't want people living there and commuting. Excuse us for just LIVING, woman!

They will use the trains, boo hoo, thats what the trains are meant for, moron!

12 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

But most of that population growth will happen in Africa, which is a huge resource-rich continent (over 2/3rds the size of Asia) which can comfortably accommodate it.

Cue Colonel Blimp-style spluttering about 4 billion Africans trying to move to the UK on dinghys despite the fact that UN data shows less than 100k people per year crossing the Mediterranean at present which is a vanishingly small number given that the continents either side have about a billion people each.

So you'll take some of those 100K next door to you then. Great I'll tell T May you are signed up. 100k is a big number on top of the other 300k coming in, its a few Stevenages a year

20 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

Drainage can all be put in before work starts and balancing lakes created if needed. The Tory MP is doing the all too common NIMBYism, doesn't want people living there and commuting. Excuse us for just LIVING, woman!

They will use the trains, boo hoo, thats what the trains are meant for, moron!

Too bad people want to live in pleasant environments, or at least ones not getting worse, and that champioining building more does the exact opposite. If you've got a bone to pick pick it with the irresponsible idiots who keeping growing the population rather than those who don't want quality of life to continually nosedive.

6 hours ago, Wayward said:

My local councillor routinely boasts in his news letter how he has frustrated housing provision.

Tyranny of the majority...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority

Actually the lib dems are the worst for it. Same in my old ward. Lib Dems leaflets oh look we got the council to do their job and got this sign fixed. We opposed the development of 200 new houses  all thanks to us, the lovely lib dems

2 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Too bad people want to live in pleasant environments, or at least ones not getting worse, and that champioining building more does the exact opposite. If you've got a bone to pick pick it with the irresponsible idiots who keeping growing the population rather than those who don't want quality of life to continually nosedive.

I agree with you, but what are you going to do, china style 1 child rule, or stop immigration? If you do that left wingers call you racist and its a real problem trying to get even the Tories to stop them coming in... They continually fail their targets, because they don't have any system