House Price Crash Forum

The only reason I have a TV licence is because my primary school kids watch CBeebies on iPlayer and my wife watches a single weekly chat show also on iPlayer. None of us have watched a live TV show in 15+ years.

Paying £154 a year for that is galling especially as the journalism (apart from Andrew Neil) is such biassed lefty loving Bullsh#t.

I have looked at alternatives but BBC kids programmes are so much better than Amazon/ITV.

Any other options? Do we think they can detect WiFi usage of iPlayer? I'm sceptical.

Yes CBeebies is much better than anything else for that age group. I think its the best example of the public service remit working well. Other channels pre-schoolers output is nowhere near as good, especially programs that come from the states.

Seems unlikely that they would be able to tell if you are watching iplayer. Although you do have to log in to your bbc account the first time (I think?). Untill they start making us put a tv licence number in to access it seems unlikely they would find out.

I think the TV licence is good value for money,  its not just paying for broadcast television but radio and an enormous amount of online content.  The BBC is also a valuable 'ambassador' for the UK, a role we should not overlook.  I agree the BBC comes across as a bit biased, I see it as Right wing and establishment focused, but we are all different.

Edited by dougless

20 minutes ago, dougless said:

I think the TV licence is good value for money,  its not just paying for broadcast television but radio and an enormous amount of online content.  The BBC is also a valuable 'ambassador' for the UK, a role we should not overlook.  I agree the BBC comes across as a bit biased, I see it as Right wing and establishment focused, but we are all different.

I used to think that but my opinion's slowly shifting. I still view it as less overall obnoxious than the alternatives but it's gaining on them.

Agree about CBeebies. Daughter has recently restricted her two very little ones  to DVDs and CBB, having got sick of the relentless advertising of toys on satellite channels.  Though she does make an occasional exception for Masha and the Bear. 

I don't mind paying the licence fee. We watch a fair bit of BBC4  in particular, and 2 - usually recorded or on catch up, very little live.  Also happy to contribute to R4 and the World Service - don't know what we'd have done without the WS during many (pre Internet) years overseas.  Kids still remember the early morning  'Lilibolero' tune that meant it was time to be off to the school bus. Was the reverse for me - always hated the Archers theme tune, since it meant 'up to bed.' 

As for BBC bias, I'd say it was definitely more L than R.  In that purely affluent-metropolitan-liberal way, of course. 

On 03/02/2019 at 15:16, Sausage said:

I have looked at alternatives but BBC kids programmes are so much better than Amazon/ITV.

Any other options? Do we think they can detect WiFi usage of iPlayer? I'm sceptical.

I gave up on a TV licence years ago and haven't missed it. I do have Netflix though...

I do think the proposed Britbox looks interested and if it is £5/month I could well be tempted.

Due later this year apparently...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-47394510/what-is-britbox

There are many people who pay for a TV Licence who don't actually need one. Unfortunately the TV Licensing website doesn't make it easy to find out how to be Legally Licence-Free. To do this, you don't need to get rid of your TV set and you can still watch TV programmes, as long as you don't watch live TV and you don't use iplayer. If this is the case then you don't need a TV Licence at all. But remember, they will start sending you threat letters. All you need to do is just IGNORE THEM. Also, they'll send a goon to your door. Again, just IGNORE THEM. These goons are just salespeople who are paid commission to scare you into buying a licence, whether you need one or not. Never let them into your home as they will try to fit you up. Never even answer your door to them as they will try to twist anything you say in order to make you appear guilty. Just ignore them! If you do ever speak to them, simply tell them that you don't need a TV licence as you don't watch live TV and you don't use iplayer. Here's a link to the most informative video that tells you everything you need to know about the TV Licence in detail - including how to deal with TV Licensing goons at the door. Well worth a look if you want to save yourself £154.50 every year: Everything You Need To Know About The TV Licence

On 25/02/2019 at 12:16, dougless said:

Its value for money depends on whether it shows what you personally want to watch.

My main reason for disliking the BBC is that if I want to watch any broadcast TV, e.g. SKY, then a license tax is compulsory.  Imagine if you had to pay SKY £150 a year (on pain of possible imprisonment if you didn't) whether you watched its shows or not, just to get CBEEBIES....

14 minutes ago, newbonic said:

Its value for money depends on whether it shows what you personally want to watch.

My main reason for disliking the BBC is that if I want to watch any broadcast TV, e.g. SKY, then a license tax is compulsory.  Imagine if you had to pay SKY £150 a year (on pain of possible imprisonment if you didn't) whether you watched its shows or not, just to get CBEEBIES....

I suppose I am lucky and have no interest in Sky or its ilk.  I feel that the BBC is one of those British things, like the NHS, which we should be proud of despite their faults.

1 hour ago, dougless said:

I suppose I am lucky and have no interest in Sky or its ilk.  I feel that the BBC is one of those British things, like the NHS, which we should be proud of despite their faults.

I used to think that but I'm getting more and more unimpressed with it. Unfortunately that's caused by the BBC descending, not everything else rising up to meet it.

On 25/02/2019 at 12:16, dougless said:

Sure all of that, and the news does come out a bit biased......best not to use it as your only source of news information.....I could easily not watch any of it, would not miss it, I rarely watch any TV, I listen to the radio, many of the presenters have a smugness about them....the BBC do waste public money, they could easily cut out three and four and local radio...... surprised by the number of young people I speak to that do not watch the BBC and do not pay for a TV licence.....must be more an older persons past time.....;)

35 minutes ago, winkie said:

Sure all of that, and the news does come out a bit biased......best not to use it as your only source of news information.....I could easily not watch any of it, would not miss it, I rarely watch any TV, I listen to the radio, many of the presenters have a smugness about them....the BBC do waste public money, they could easily cut out three and four and local radio...... surprised by the number of young people I speak to that do not watch the BBC and do not pay for a TV licence.....must be more an older persons past time.....;)

Listening to the radio has always been a pastime of mine and I am of an age that I can remember hearing about the assassination of President Kennedy on the Home Service (now Radio 4).  I do think that the way the BBC is financed is problematic as people change the way they consume media but the Television License puts a Chinese Wall between itself and Government, whoever is in power.

10 minutes ago, dougless said:

Listening to the radio has always been a pastime of mine and I am of an age that I can remember hearing about the assassination of President Kennedy on the Home Service (now Radio 4).  I do think that the way the BBC is financed is problematic as people change the way they consume media but the Television License puts a Chinese Wall between itself and Government, whoever is in power.

The BBC almost feels that its workers are members of a special protected club......I am sure that there could be a better way to finance it, that is fairer to all people......;)

1 hour ago, winkie said:

The BBC almost feels that its workers are members of a special protected club......I am sure that there could be a better way to finance it, that is fairer to all people......;)

yeah scrap it for everyone and stick adverts on it like the rest.  or the tv companies can issue an update to firmware for sets so it can be switched off. 

On 12/06/2019 at 10:47, longgone said:

yeah scrap it for everyone and stick adverts on it like the rest.  or the tv companies can issue an update to firmware for sets so it can be switched off. 

Good points.......in regard to the ads on other channels, to begin with they used to be an irritant, now it is an ideal time to cut them out completely, they seem to be on for longer than they used to be, I think not so long ago  they were allowed to put more Ad break time into programme time.......this extra time allows more time to check phones, text, search for something, catch up social media, make a cup of tea, go to the loo, let the cat out......the breaks come in handy, can cut the volume out, because often the volume goes up during ad time..... you will notice most stations are all synced in together, can flick around stations.......might switch over to find something more interesting....... another lost viewer.;)

Edited by winkie