If Hpi Is Picking Up....

http://www.businessworld.ie/livenews.htm?a...rollingnews.htm

Thursday, February 02 10:16:14

(BizWorld)
Growth in the UK construction
sector slumped to its lowest reading in over four years in January
, a key survey of the sector showed.
January showed no signs of an upturn in the declining housing sector

Builders are shrewd business people and they have no doubt read what is actually happening in the marketplace--contrar to the propganda from the EAs and MBA--its the worst for 4 years! :D

Edited by Realistbear

(BizWorld)

Builders are shrewd business people and they have no doubt read what is actually happening in the marketplace--contrar to the propganda from the EAs and MBA--its the worst for 4 years! :D

Yep, I have a friend who works for a smallish developer - less than 30 heads.

They have had very little work on for several months now and are all basically waiting for the curtain to come down.

This is the ultimate barometer. I have mentioned here before I used to be in construction and spent many years working in London building office blocks.

About 1989/90 I had to visit a job we had finished some years earlier that we used to do maintenance on. I went up to the plant floor on the 7th floor and then out onto the roof. Staring across the London skyline in all directions there was not one tower crane up. Only a couple of years earlier we used to do 'crane counts' - bit like EAs counting boards - we used to count cranes to see who had the most work on.

Last time around we in the building game knew the economy was screwed about 2 years before the big recession came. Tenders slowed down gradually and then almost came to a halt. We were desperate to get jobs to avoid laying off staff and keeping plant employed. Tender meetings became endless arguments about how much more we could knock off and then, when we had got right down to the bone, we'd find someone else had gone in half a million less than us - just buying work to try to keep going.

All this is now hovering over us like the sword of Damocles. Only this time recovery may never happen. Last time round we were not in a technological and globalization revolution.

This is the ultimate barometer. I have mentioned here before I used to be in construction and spent many years working in London building office blocks.

That's interesting, Marina. Here in Manchester there are still plenty of cranes up, and they're still completing Manchester's tallest building. Don't know how many more cranes will appear.

I am wondering whether the short-term-fixed mortgages might be delaying it going tits-up so quickly this time around.

I did notice that January saw another "Princess And The Pea" type house price rise, just like the 3.6% over Sept-Nov 2005: Only very very very special people can actually feel it. Coz those prices on Rightmove haven't moved!

:lol:

(BizWorld)

SSSHHhhh.. They might be listening..

Keep building guys...:)

more and more...

The country is Property Rich..

But the Property Rich are not as rich as they think they are..

Its a subtle old game..

I live in Kent and i have 2 friends that work with new builds. I have had huge arguements with them last year that the market is under pressure and they have never believed me but....

Friend 1 is a carpenter and he now says things have changed dramatically in the last few months they are putting the shell up and making it water tight and leaving it as a shell . Nothing is selling

Friend 2 is a gardener and goes round the sites putting down lawn and planting these large borders with trees and hedges . He has had LOADS of work last year but he will lay off staff in the next few week . His new business has totally dried up

They are both now worried about their own jobs

The worm has turned

It's very different here.

I work on the outskirts of a very small town in N Glos.

I would guess about sixty new office buildings/factories have gone up in a small area (2 sq miles?) in the last couple of years.

I would guess there are at LEAST 10 new buildings going up within 1/8 mile of me as I type...

As I drive away from work the roads are continually covered in mud from all the construction going on. They hire road cleaner lorries to drive up and down the road all day to clear the mud. Been like this for nearly TWO YEARS.

Some of you may or may not know this but I have a bathroom showroom in North London. Business is dire. We must agree that the internet has recently gathered greater favour with buyers but we have not seen it this quite since 1989. Recently we had our largest bi-annual trade show and for the first time ever in my experience real big players like Ideal Standard (part of American Standard) pulled out at the 11th hour. Never have we witnessed the people who run the exhibition hall (NEC) giving away display space because it "looks better" to have it filled. This space will normally cost around 75K / 1000 square foot for the 3 days.

This does not tie up with the bullish data.

I work for one of the UKs biggest builders merchants, profits are definately down and there is a lot of talk about "tough trading conditions" when it comes to anything to do with costs(licenses, payrises etc.). They are also not replacing leaving staff whereever possible(which is pretty much everywhere) and so either existing staff see workload increase or the work just doesn't get done.

Ppl just aren't buying building supplies in the same volumes as before.

(BizWorld)

Even though Im quite bullish from time to time I to wonder how all these new homes can be justified. Ive never seen so much new - build before.

Lots of local small builders (but 1st time housebuilders) seem to have emerged in last couple of years - a real bandwagon has emerged.

Its enevitable some of these goldrushers will fail in the scramble to try and make easy money.

Construction sector slumps start in London and the commuter belt before propagating out to the rest of the country. Things might be merry in Scotland, regenerated northern cities, and the back of beyond like Gloucestershire but beware - inside sources tell me a slump has happened in London.

It's very different here.

I work on the outskirts of a very small town in N Glos.

I would guess about sixty new office buildings/factories have gone up in a small area (2 sq miles?) in the last couple of years.

I would guess there are at LEAST 10 new buildings going up within 1/8 mile of me as I type...

As I drive away from work the roads are continually covered in mud from all the construction going on. They hire road cleaner lorries to drive up and down the road all day to clear the mud. Been like this for nearly TWO YEARS.

Only two years? ;)

I have a friend who works in an office on the eighth floor of a building in the Strand. Looking South three years ago he could count 30 plus cranes now there are only two.

However, it is foggy today.

Even though Im quite bullish from time to time I to wonder how all these new homes can be justified. Ive never seen so much new - build before.

Lots of local small builders (but 1st time housebuilders) seem to have emerged in last couple of years - a real bandwagon has emerged.

It's not just the volumes you should question but whether the type of properties can be justified, 50% of new developments are innercity 'apartments', does that really mesh with a demand for family housing? This could help explain the curious market, an oversupply in one area may be driving a shortage in another, then rising prices brings about its own shortage (of buyers).

self employed in building exteriors here,

work is steady but lot of guys are suffering, the ones that are building extentions ect mostly having a slowdown.lot of work im getting is people doing up the building ie pointing/painting upvc fascias/guttering ect so it looks good outside for resale.

but anyone into kitchens/lofts/new builds/garages/extensions/major works here has been finding it tough since about march last year.but 1/2/3 men property maintenence type firms will always get work.