House Price Crash Forum

Cold War 2.0

HOLA441

The Daily Mail seems to be improving the quality of its journalism:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6662009/The-real-reason-Trumps-ripped-nuclear-treaty-thats-kept-safe-1980s.html

I think this analysis is wholly accurate. The US is concerned about losing power to China both militarily and economically.

For years China has been ripping off American IP and conducting strategic intelligence activity.

On one distinct  front a battle is going on to stop China getting the next generation of chip fabrication technology- this is still controlled by western firms and without it China’s capability will get somewhat frozen in time meaning they’ll struggle to exploit a lot of the other IP they have gained.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-10/what-trade-war-china-really-about

I think they’ll be a massive market meltdown on Monday. This is the worst type of uncertainty for markets.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA442
46 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6662009/The-real-reason-Trumps-ripped-nuclear-treaty-thats-kept-safe-1980s.html

I think this analysis is wholly accurate. The US is concerned about losing power to China both militarily and economically.

For years China has been ripping off American IP and conducting strategic intelligence activity.

On one distinct  front a battle is going on to stop China getting the next generation of chip fabrication technology- this is still controlled by western firms and without it China’s capability will get somewhat frozen in time meaning they’ll struggle to exploit a lot of the other IP they have gained.

I think they’ll be a massive market meltdown on Monday. This is the worst type of uncertainty for markets.

Really??

HOLA443
1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I tangentially touch on IP at work too. There are territories that our IP is continually being stolen - Russia, China, Turkey - and we have zero recourse. 

I’d love to see them brought to heel. 

Whenever people brush off counterfeits I recall the incident of the boy whose unearthed gameboy charger (from ebay via china) electrocuted him to death.

Their disregard for human life in pursuit of profit (remember the infant milk melamine debacle?) never ceases to astound me.

HOLA444

Interesting angle - I'd not considered it from this perspective and as usual there's more going on beneath the surface than initially meets the eye (at least presented by the MSM).

2 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Whenever people brush off counterfeits I recall the incident of the boy whose unearthed gameboy charger (from ebay via china) electrocuted him to death.

Their disregard for human life in pursuit of profit (remember the infant milk melamine debacle?) never ceases to astound me.

It's two sides of the same coin though, isn't it? These dodgy items are being bought by consumers over here who for years have been conditioned by our consumption-centric establishment to consider prices as the only important metric when hoovering up their goods.

Our economies rely on the cheap labour provided by Chinese factories with abysmal records for worker pay, welfare, rights or environmental credentials; something again we're happy to turn a blind eye to in the perpetual pursuit of profit and cheap disposible goods. 

Nobody on either side of the producer/consumer relationship is prepared to acknowledge the bigger picture when there's profit at stake.

HOLA445
HOLA446
17 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

I tangentially touch on IP at work too. There are territories that our IP is continually being stolen - Russia, China, Turkey - and we have zero recourse. 

If only UK could be a part of a larger economy/market like EU with a dedicated high quality negotiators who could raise these issues in negotiations with likes of China /s

HOLA447
3 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Maybe someone intelligent wrote this and the daily mail just printed it.

HOLA448
2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

I went on holiday to turkey last year my wife purchased a copy Prada hand bag £70 it was £2000 in harrods 

It was superb quality real leather and well stitched 

not all copies are equal, some are as good as the original and some even better 

Edited by prozac

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

As well as the obvious desire for cheaper prices, what enabled moving production cheaply overseas was branding. Originally a people wanted to buy a certain brand because it was associated with workmanship and quality. Now people will pay a fortune just because of the label on the front, irrespective of quality. 

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I went in the dry cleaners yesterday. The owner pointed out a rail of jackets belonging to a customer, all made of polyester, all machine made in a factory, Hilfiger, Moncler. He said that one cost a grand, that one 1200, there is is about 5 grand of stuff on that rail. There are not many tailors left now, but outside london a skilled craftsman would hand make a two piece suit, out of quality wool, individual to you, for less than one of those jackets. Unfortunately, there is no corporate profit in the latter. 

HOLA4416
5 minutes ago, nothernsoul said:

I went in the dry cleaners yesterday. The owner pointed out a rail of jackets belonging to a customer, all made of polyester, all machine made in a factory, Hilfiger, Moncler. He said that one cost a grand, that one 1200, there is is about 5 grand of stuff on that rail. There are not many tailors left now, but outside london a skilled craftsman would hand make a two piece suit, out of quality wool, individual to you, for less than one of those jackets. Unfortunately, there is no corporate profit in the latter. 

That is why recommended to have a local back-up-plan.....do not become to reliant on things that if went down would be helpless and stuck......the internet technology security utility is a big one, can be switched off like a light, like a power cut....

There are many skilled innovators and crafts people, gardeners, cooks, needle-workers and tailors....can turn their hands into making something from very little....basic survival skills we must not lose.;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

You can expand an Empire if you steal the right product.

Anyone for tea?

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/long-reads/article/2095707/great-tea-robbery-how-british-stole-chinas

China dominated the tea trade until the East India Company broke its monopoly, having sent Scottish botanist Robert Fortune on a covert mission
to steal its plants and tea-processing technique 170 years ago

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew
Added Content

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, nothernsoul said:

As well as the obvious desire for cheaper prices, what enabled moving production cheaply overseas was branding. Originally a people wanted to buy a certain brand because it was associated with workmanship and quality. Now people will pay a fortune just because of the label on the front, irrespective of quality. 

I had this debate with a boss when we had a complaint about product quality (Chinese) which he dismissed on the grounds that their stuff was now really excellent. 

How good it is, I replied, depends on what you ordered. If you told them you wanted headphones of top quality for 50p each delivered UK they would go ahead and make them regardless of whether or not it were even possible.

When GKN made screws in Wrexham they were of massive quality compared to today's Indian shyte imho. If you have to remove a house door, the screwdriver often won't fit, if a Philips or a slotted the head may break in half. A lot of the stuff is not worth the metal it's made of.

A small example I know but if ever the decline of UK industry is mentioned it's always the unions' fault and there's so much more to it than that.

HOLA4420
4 hours ago, ftb_fml said:

It's two sides of the same coin though, isn't it? These dodgy items are being bought by consumers over here who for years have been conditioned by our consumption-centric establishment to consider prices as the only important metric when hoovering up their goods.

Agreed. Hence why I question the crowing over “we’ll have cheaper food post brexit” concept.

Cheap always comes at a cost. 

2 hours ago, prozac said:

I went on holiday to turkey last year my wife purchased a copy Prada hand bag £70 it was £2000 in harrods 

It was superb quality real leather and well stitched 

not all copies are equal, some are as good as the original and some even better 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fake-designer-boots-are-churned-out-226638

Lots of people love fake goods. The ability not to question why or how they’re cheap is a skill I haven’t acquired. Tax evasion, child labour, zero worker rights, animals stipped of their skin while alive (google chinese raccoon dogs + uggs). 

Theres always a cost but we in the west don’t tend to pay it. At least High Street labels have boards to answer to when their third world sweatshops collapse.

HOLA4421

Too much industry went, even after the dead wood was cleared. Simply costs and search for greater profit, plus disinterest by the government and a decision that financial engineering and rent seeking  was a better way to make money. 

Now even the winners are starting to be a victim of their own practices. An example being Apples decline in profits and Huwai overtaking them in numbers of phones sold. It is not as if apple can justify their premium price on superior workmanship, when their phones are made in exactly the same place as their cheaper competitors. 

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
On 03/02/2019 at 15:56, Bluestone59 said:

When GKN made screws in Wrexham they were of massive quality compared to today's Indian shyte imho. If you have to remove a house door, the screwdriver often won't fit, if a Philips or a slotted the head may break in half. A lot of the stuff is not worth the metal it's made of.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-01-31/culture-of-bending-rules-in-india-challenges-u-s-drug-agency

HOLA4424
HOLA4425