Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Recommended Posts

The Daily Mail seems to be improving the quality of its journalism:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6662009/The-real-reason-Trumps-ripped-nuclear-treaty-thats-kept-safe-1980s.html

I think this analysis is wholly accurate. The US is concerned about losing power to China both militarily and economically.

For years China has been ripping off American IP and conducting strategic intelligence activity.

On one distinct  front a battle is going on to stop China getting the next generation of chip fabrication technology- this is still controlled by western firms and without it China’s capability will get somewhat frozen in time meaning they’ll struggle to exploit a lot of the other IP they have gained.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-10/what-trade-war-china-really-about

I think they’ll be a massive market meltdown on Monday. This is the worst type of uncertainty for markets.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

The Daily Mail seems to be improving the quality of its journalism:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6662009/The-real-reason-Trumps-ripped-nuclear-treaty-thats-kept-safe-1980s.html

I think this analysis is wholly accurate. The US is concerned about losing power to China both militarily and economically.

For years China has been ripping off American IP and conducting strategic intelligence activity.

On one distinct  front a battle is going on to stop China getting the next generation of chip fabrication technology- this is still controlled by western firms and without it China’s capability will get somewhat frozen in time meaning they’ll struggle to exploit a lot of the other IP they have gained.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-10/what-trade-war-china-really-about

I think they’ll be a massive market meltdown on Monday. This is the worst type of uncertainty for markets.

Really??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

The Daily Mail seems to be improving the quality of its journalism:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6662009/The-real-reason-Trumps-ripped-nuclear-treaty-thats-kept-safe-1980s.html

I think this analysis is wholly accurate. The US is concerned about losing power to China both militarily and economically.

For years China has been ripping off American IP and conducting strategic intelligence activity.

On one distinct  front a battle is going on to stop China getting the next generation of chip fabrication technology- this is still controlled by western firms and without it China’s capability will get somewhat frozen in time meaning they’ll struggle to exploit a lot of the other IP they have gained.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-10/what-trade-war-china-really-about

I think they’ll be a massive market meltdown on Monday. This is the worst type of uncertainty for markets.

I tangentially touch on IP at work too. There are territories that our IP is continually being stolen - Russia, China, Turkey - and we have zero recourse. 

I’d love to see them brought to heel. 

Whenever people brush off counterfeits I recall the incident of the boy whose unearthed gameboy charger (from ebay via china) electrocuted him to death.

Their disregard for human life in pursuit of profit (remember the infant milk melamine debacle?) never ceases to astound me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting angle - I'd not considered it from this perspective and as usual there's more going on beneath the surface than initially meets the eye (at least presented by the MSM).

2 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Whenever people brush off counterfeits I recall the incident of the boy whose unearthed gameboy charger (from ebay via china) electrocuted him to death.

Their disregard for human life in pursuit of profit (remember the infant milk melamine debacle?) never ceases to astound me.

It's two sides of the same coin though, isn't it? These dodgy items are being bought by consumers over here who for years have been conditioned by our consumption-centric establishment to consider prices as the only important metric when hoovering up their goods.

Our economies rely on the cheap labour provided by Chinese factories with abysmal records for worker pay, welfare, rights or environmental credentials; something again we're happy to turn a blind eye to in the perpetual pursuit of profit and cheap disposible goods. 

Nobody on either side of the producer/consumer relationship is prepared to acknowledge the bigger picture when there's profit at stake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

I tangentially touch on IP at work too. There are territories that our IP is continually being stolen - Russia, China, Turkey - and we have zero recourse. 

I’d love to see them brought to heel.

If only UK could be a part of a larger economy/market like EU with a dedicated high quality negotiators who could raise these issues in negotiations with likes of China /s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

The Daily Mail seems to be improving the quality of its journalism:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6662009/The-real-reason-Trumps-ripped-nuclear-treaty-thats-kept-safe-1980s.html

I think this analysis is wholly accurate. The US is concerned about losing power to China both militarily and economically.

For years China has been ripping off American IP and conducting strategic intelligence activity.

On one distinct  front a battle is going on to stop China getting the next generation of chip fabrication technology- this is still controlled by western firms and without it China’s capability will get somewhat frozen in time meaning they’ll struggle to exploit a lot of the other IP they have gained.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-10/what-trade-war-china-really-about

I think they’ll be a massive market meltdown on Monday. This is the worst type of uncertainty for markets.

Maybe someone intelligent wrote this and the daily mail just printed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

I tangentially touch on IP at work too. There are territories that our IP is continually being stolen - Russia, China, Turkey - and we have zero recourse. 

I’d love to see them brought to heel. 

Whenever people brush off counterfeits I recall the incident of the boy whose unearthed gameboy charger (from ebay via china) electrocuted him to death.

Their disregard for human life in pursuit of profit (remember the infant milk melamine debacle?) never ceases to astound me.

I went on holiday to turkey last year my wife purchased a copy Prada hand bag £70 it was £2000 in harrods 

It was superb quality real leather and well stitched 

not all copies are equal, some are as good as the original and some even better 

Edited by prozac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, prozac said:

I went on holiday to turkey last year my wife purchased a copy Prada hand bag £70 it was £2000 in harrods 

It was superb quality real leather and well stitched 

£70 for a bag.:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, prozac said:

We are not going to talk how much she spends on shoes 

 

Can only wear one pair at a time......the bottom of the wardrobe is not a safety deposit box held in a bank.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, winkie said:

Can only wear one pair at a time......the bottom of the wardrobe is not a safety deposit box held in a bank.;)

I can’t complain I have about 25 pairs of shoes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As well as the obvious desire for cheaper prices, what enabled moving production cheaply overseas was branding. Originally a people wanted to buy a certain brand because it was associated with workmanship and quality. Now people will pay a fortune just because of the label on the front, irrespective of quality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, prozac said:

I can’t complain I have about 25 pairs of shoes 

I would think most people have quite a few pairs....some of which they rarely if ever wear.;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went in the dry cleaners yesterday. The owner pointed out a rail of jackets belonging to a customer, all made of polyester, all machine made in a factory, Hilfiger, Moncler. He said that one cost a grand, that one 1200, there is is about 5 grand of stuff on that rail. There are not many tailors left now, but outside london a skilled craftsman would hand make a two piece suit, out of quality wool, individual to you, for less than one of those jackets. Unfortunately, there is no corporate profit in the latter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nothernsoul said:

I went in the dry cleaners yesterday. The owner pointed out a rail of jackets belonging to a customer, all made of polyester, all machine made in a factory, Hilfiger, Moncler. He said that one cost a grand, that one 1200, there is is about 5 grand of stuff on that rail. There are not many tailors left now, but outside london a skilled craftsman would hand make a two piece suit, out of quality wool, individual to you, for less than one of those jackets. Unfortunately, there is no corporate profit in the latter. 

That is why recommended to have a local back-up-plan.....do not become to reliant on things that if went down would be helpless and stuck......the internet technology security utility is a big one, can be switched off like a light, like a power cut....

There are many skilled innovators and crafts people, gardeners, cooks, needle-workers and tailors....can turn their hands into making something from very little....basic survival skills we must not lose.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, winkie said:

I would think most people have quite a few pairs....some of which they rarely if ever wear.;)

 

Better a pair of loake or church’s than Tesco baked beans 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can expand an Empire if you steal the right product.

Anyone for tea?

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/long-reads/article/2095707/great-tea-robbery-how-british-stole-chinas

Quote

China dominated the tea trade until the East India Company broke its monopoly, having sent Scottish botanist Robert Fortune on a covert mission
to steal its plants and tea-processing technique 170 years ago

 

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew
Added Content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nothernsoul said:

As well as the obvious desire for cheaper prices, what enabled moving production cheaply overseas was branding. Originally a people wanted to buy a certain brand because it was associated with workmanship and quality. Now people will pay a fortune just because of the label on the front, irrespective of quality. 

I had this debate with a boss when we had a complaint about product quality (Chinese) which he dismissed on the grounds that their stuff was now really excellent. 

How good it is, I replied, depends on what you ordered. If you told them you wanted headphones of top quality for 50p each delivered UK they would go ahead and make them regardless of whether or not it were even possible.

When GKN made screws in Wrexham they were of massive quality compared to today's Indian shyte imho. If you have to remove a house door, the screwdriver often won't fit, if a Philips or a slotted the head may break in half. A lot of the stuff is not worth the metal it's made of.

A small example I know but if ever the decline of UK industry is mentioned it's always the unions' fault and there's so much more to it than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ftb_fml said:

It's two sides of the same coin though, isn't it? These dodgy items are being bought by consumers over here who for years have been conditioned by our consumption-centric establishment to consider prices as the only important metric when hoovering up their goods.

Agreed. Hence why I question the crowing over “we’ll have cheaper food post brexit” concept.

Cheap always comes at a cost. 

2 hours ago, prozac said:

I went on holiday to turkey last year my wife purchased a copy Prada hand bag £70 it was £2000 in harrods 

It was superb quality real leather and well stitched 

not all copies are equal, some are as good as the original and some even better 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fake-designer-boots-are-churned-out-226638

Lots of people love fake goods. The ability not to question why or how they’re cheap is a skill I haven’t acquired. Tax evasion, child labour, zero worker rights, animals stipped of their skin while alive (google chinese raccoon dogs + uggs). 

Theres always a cost but we in the west don’t tend to pay it. At least High Street labels have boards to answer to when their third world sweatshops collapse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too much industry went, even after the dead wood was cleared. Simply costs and search for greater profit, plus disinterest by the government and a decision that financial engineering and rent seeking  was a better way to make money. 

Now even the winners are starting to be a victim of their own practices. An example being Apples decline in profits and Huwai overtaking them in numbers of phones sold. It is not as if apple can justify their premium price on superior workmanship, when their phones are made in exactly the same place as their cheaper competitors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/02/2019 at 15:56, Bluestone59 said:

 

When GKN made screws in Wrexham they were of massive quality compared to today's Indian shyte imho. If you have to remove a house door, the screwdriver often won't fit, if a Philips or a slotted the head may break in half. A lot of the stuff is not worth the metal it's made of.

2

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-01-31/culture-of-bending-rules-in-india-challenges-u-s-drug-agency

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nothernsoul said:

Now even the winners are starting to be a victim of their own practices. An example being Apples decline in profits and Huwai overtaking them in numbers of phones sold. It is not as if apple can justify their premium price on superior workmanship, when their phones are made in exactly the same place as their cheaper competitors. 

Apple are still going to turnover $84bn in the last year. Huawei May sell more units but not at the same margin. Apple will justify their price through the technology used, design and materials quality. Their cheaper competitors don’t always offer this. P.S. I am not a fanboi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, longgone said:

Lol i watched a couple dump 4000 euro on a bag and umbrella in Germany. 

such a waste. 

That is what fiat is worth to them.....not a lot.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 295 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.