House Price Crash Forum
aheadofthecurve

EU undermines democratic will of people of Gibraltar by referring to their country as "British Colony"

In a characteristically unsurprising act against democracy the EU has referred to Gibraltar as a "British Colony". Whilst many people will rightly find this sort of language as unnecessarily antagonistic they will also be hurt by the feelings it emotes of a long bygone era. However they will not be surprised that the EU would use such an underhanded tactic to undermine the democratic will of the people of Gibraltar who unilaterally remain stoic in their decision to remain part of the UK. One cannot perhaps blame them when the travesty and hardship of EU membership is clear as day to see across a small stretch of water.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47087439

Whilst many of us have come to expect the EU to disrespect democracy - for them to do it in such a disrespectful and historically unsympathetic way is undoubtedly a new low for them.

Edited by aheadofthecurve

Indeed, I saw that. And they said that its status is "controversial". 

No it's not - it's ours, bought and paid for, and our brothers and sisters in Gibraltar wish for no change by one of the largest majorities in a modern non-rigged vote.

On the other foot... 

As far as I understand it, this was written in by Spain, who obviously have a VI in Gibraltar. 

Why would the EU play it any other way? It’s not an ‘underhand’ tactic, it’s simple common sense. Support one of your member states or risk worsening an already fractured relationship ship with a country that is exiting your Bloc? It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out why they went down the path they did no? They’ve made it abundantly clear they will do all they can to support the remaining 27, as they logically should if they want the union to sustain. Why would they reasonably go any other way at this point? 

Though if we're going back to blue passports that's how Britian referred to it as well. If the government want to play rough, I'm sure the EU are quite happy to oblige, they kept Spain in line for the withdrawal agreement, but if it's renegotiated...

DyZZrNQX0AAQqaC.jpg

1 hour ago, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

Thank God the lovely Spanish don't do colonialism.😂

Mel4.jpg

I was going to mention this - but wouldn't have done quite so beautifully - very very good work.

The EU - surely only for first time a Union (or...'Axis') of European countries have clubbed together to create an empire of control?

Oh wait.

Yes there has been a time before. And before that. Oh and before that - Mr Napoleon started it. Ah no, it was the Spanish - they had a go.

Sheesh

History doesn't repeat itself but it rhymes.

Also - to quote Mark Twain: "If voting changed anything they wouldn't let us do it".

4 hours ago, 29929BlackTuesday said:

I was going to mention this - but wouldn't have done quite so beautifully - very very good work.

The EU - surely only for first time a Union (or...'Axis') of European countries have clubbed together to create an empire of control?

Oh wait.

Yes there has been a time before. And before that. Oh and before that - Mr Napoleon started it. Ah no, it was the Spanish - they had a go.

Sheesh

Also - to quote Mark Twain: "If voting changed anything they wouldn't let us do it".

Not my work, i used a map from this site. https://beforeitsnews.com/v3/opinion-liberal/2016/2540316.html

The Spanish want the UK to hand them Gibraltar,  the Moroccans  want Ceuta and Melilla back too.

The government of Morocco has requested from Spain the sovereignty of Ceuta and Melilla, of Perejil Island, and of some other small territories. The Spanish position is that both Ceuta and Melilla are integral parts of the Spanish state, and have been since the 15th century. Morocco denies these claims and maintains that the Spanish presence on or near its coast is a remnant of the colonial past which should be ended. The United Nations list of Non-Self-Governing Territories does not include these Spanish territories.

fence

The Melilla border fence aims to stop illegal immigration into Spain.

The EU were putting up economic walls long before Trump in the USA.

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew
Added Content

If there is one place in the UK that definitely doesn't want to leave the EU it is Gibraltar. Residents of "The Rock" voted overwhelmingly - by 96% - to stay in the European Union.

BBC

Who is undermining democratic will of people of Gibraltar?

1 hour ago, frederico said:

Every time they get a chance, the eu manage to make themselves less likeable.

I take your point but I’m sorry, I don’t agree. Gibraltarians overwhelmingly voted to stay in the European Union.

How the Brexit democracy works?

Edited by rollover

Why don't the Spanish ask for Perpignan back, which they gave to the French under the treaty of the Pyrennes in 1659?? Saying that the Catalan nationalists do want it back, or at least refer to area as north catalonia - go there an you'll still see street names in catalan.

I know this is a ccc tttroll thread but if you truly want to be democratic with the United Kingdom’s member states then we should follow their majority decision. Gibraltar, Northern Ireland, and Scotland all voted to remain. England and Wales voted to leave. With 3/5 votes to remain in the EU, the will of the member states is to remain. Remain won the referendum. 

3 hours ago, rollover said:

I take your point but I’m sorry, I don’t agree. Gibraltarians overwhelmingly voted to stay in the European Union.

They did not have a separate vote, just like Wales, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland didn't have separate votes. It was a single complete referendum. You don't get the chop up the pieces and say this country or that constituency had its own mini-result. Sure  you can do it because we have the data, but anything within the overall result (ie anything other than 17,410,742 Vs 16,141,241) is arbitrary.

Edited by mrtickle

13 hours ago, mrtickle said:

They did not have a separate vote, just like Wales, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland didn't have separate votes. It was a single complete referendum. You don't get the chop up the pieces and say this country or that constituency had its own mini-result. Sure  you can do it because we have the data, but anything within the overall result (ie anything other than 17,410,742 Vs 16,141,241) is arbitrary.

Real greatness and intelligence lies in recognising a democratic vote.

Edited by Captain Kirk

20 hours ago, 29929BlackTuesday said:

And there would be no America were it not for Spanish colonialism.

14 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

I know this is a ccc tttroll thread but if you truly want to be democratic with the United Kingdom’s member states then we should follow their majority decision. Gibraltar, Northern Ireland, and Scotland all voted to remain. England and Wales voted to leave. With 3/5 votes to remain in the EU, the will of the member states is to remain. Remain won the referendum. 

So voters in Northern Ireland would count 50 times more than voters in England?!

The UK is the member state of the European union - and the UK decides collectively whether to leave or not.  I don't really see why Northern Ireland has any more say in that than Essex or Lancashire which both have more residents.

18 hours ago, rollover said:

Yes but they also want to stay part of the UK and more so than in the eu.

16 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

But does a vote to stay in the UK trump a vote to remain in the eu? 

20 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Are you Tony Blair?

On 01/02/2019 at 21:38, aheadofthecurve said:

In a characteristically unsurprising act against democracy the EU has referred to Gibraltar as a "British Colony". Whilst many people will rightly find this sort of language as unnecessarily antagonistic they will also be hurt by the feelings it emotes of a long bygone era. However they will not be surprised that the EU would use such an underhanded tactic to undermine the democratic will of the people of Gibraltar who unilaterally remain stoic in their decision to remain part of the UK. One cannot perhaps blame them when the travesty and hardship of EU membership is clear as day to see across a small stretch of water.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47087439

Whilst many of us have come to expect the EU to disrespect democracy - for them to do it in such a disrespectful and historically unsympathetic way is undoubtedly a new low for them.

Maybe this was deliberate by the EU to galvanise the British into actually completing brexit so the EU themselves can at least get on with their post brexit business.

I voted brexit and I stand by it, but at the same time I doubt it's on the EU's concious interests to keep fannying about.

Its more of a british protection.

Theres few brits living on gibraltar.

Mainly various jew and other people kicked out of italy.