House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
anonguest

Pensioners WANTING to go to prison

I read some while back of guys committing crimes in the USA and then turning themselves in, aiming for a custodial sentence. This was because they were ill and prisoners got free health care in American gaols. Whether this is still true now (this was some years ago) I don't know.

I would think that there are all kinds of people that are institutionalised, they have more inside than outside, food, no bills to pay, warm, a bed for the night, entertainment, exercise, some work they can do......life for some inside is better than outside.😉

Heard this today. Doesn't surprise me but it did inspire me to google 'life in Japanese prison' which led to this enlightening documentary. 

It's incredibly strict. 

Don't forget Thatchers poll tax was a much better idea than council tax, you paid far less if you were one person in a house as it was a per person tax. I would have voted for the great Maggie Thatcher if I was old enough to vote then. God we need her back we wouldn't have had all this Brexit mess if she was in charge

On 01/02/2019 at 01:36, bear.getting.old said:

Don't forget Thatchers poll tax was a much better idea than council tax, you paid far less if you were one person in a house as it was a per person tax. I would have voted for the great Maggie Thatcher if I was old enough to vote then. God we need her back we wouldn't have had all this Brexit mess if she was in charge

I agree that the Community Charge (the correct name for the 'Poll Tax') was fairer than the archaic and opaque council tax system. 

The key failing was that the system failed take into account ability to pay. That aspect of course merely helped, fairly so, to reinforce the label of the Tory party being the 'Nasty' party.

All that nonsenese about millionaires paying the same as a postman were typical politics of envy and distracting from the fact that, at the end of the day, the charge was for local services.  Why a millionaire living two streets away fromme has to pay for my rubbish collection is beyond me.

It was not beyond the wit of man to add, for those households that genuinely made disproportionate use of said services (e.g. palatial country home with way above avergae weekly generation of refuse needing collection) could be made to incure some additional surcharge.

there's a density factor to costs though. My road has 60 houses in close proximity, pretty efficient for the council to provide services. Now typical not south east million pound houses take up a lot of space. That's a lot of public road to maintain, more lighting, probably need to put extra school buses on etc. 

.....council tax needs reviewing and income distributed more evenly thought the UK......how can a million pound home in D band London be paying less in CT than a house valued less than half that also in D band somewhere else in the country......madness.;)

On 02/02/2019 at 14:49, anonguest said:

It was not beyond the wit of man to add, for those households that genuinely made disproportionate use of said services (e.g. palatial country home with way above avergae weekly generation of refuse needing collection) could be made to incure some additional surcharge.

But people who were say 8 to a house generated more rubbish so therefore paid more automatically unless some of those 8 couldn't pay - under 16's, people in full time education etc, so ability to pay was taken into account and so was the amount of rubbish under the poll tax.

Now you have a granny in a house paying the same amount as a family of 5 of over 18s in the same type of house under the council tax

Edited by bear.getting.old

On 31/01/2019 at 23:21, EnglishinWales said:

Not pensioners. Lock all the Boomers up.

Including your own of course

On 31/01/2019 at 23:21, EnglishinWales said:

Well only the ones who voted for Thatcher...

This is why snowflakes are not respected - the sense of total entitlement and the mentality that the only thing that matters is what they think and that no one else has the right to an opinion which is different to their own - boo hoo we do not always get what we want in life - stop feeling so entitled

On 01/02/2019 at 01:36, bear.getting.old said:

as a much better idea than council tax, you paid far less if you were one person in a house as it was a per person tax

Agree we are a family of 4 - if I was a single household I would get 25% discount and use far less than 75% of the services a family of 4 use