Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
koala_bear

Electric checks in rented homes confirmed by government

Recommended Posts

Another expense for landlords ( keeps tightening the screws) and good way of generating more work for electricians!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47056406

 

Quote

 

Plans for mandatory five-year electrical safety checks in privately rented homes in England have been confirmed by the government. The move, which requires legislation, means that landlords will be required to call in qualified inspectors to carry out the checks. The rules will mirror those already in operation in Scotland. New tenancies will be the first to be checked with existing lettings following later. No date has been set for the first checks as Parliamentary time is needed to pass the relevant legislation.

Tragic death

The plans come at the end of years of campaigning by consumer and safety groups such as Electrical Safety First.The government's confirmation has been announced 10 years after the death of Thirza Whitall who was found dead by her five-year-old daughter Millie at their home in Porthscatho, Cornwall. The 33-year-old had been running a bath and the inquest into her death was told the property had no earth connection. An electric current made its way through the taps and into the water.

Recording an accidental death verdict, Coroner Andrew Cox said it was "inexplicable" there was no law on checking the electrics in rented homes. The inquest heard the cottage had not had a full electrical check since 1981.Her mother, Jane Andain said: "The tenth anniversary of Thirza's death has been a very difficult time for the family. What happened to my daughter was a tragedy, but could have easily been avoided if her landlady had made sure the electrics were properly and regularly checked."

Phil Buckle, chief executive of Electrical Safety First, said the government announcement would go "some way" to ensuring such a tragedy was not repeated.Minister for Housing and Homelessness Heather Wheeler MP said: "These new measures will reduce the risk of faulty electrical equipment, giving people peace of mind and helping to keep them safe in their homes."It will also provide clear guidance to landlords on who they should be hiring to carry out these important electrical safety checks."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, chronyx said:

Not sure if serious

It sounds serious.

More people marching into other peoples homes at the behest of the government.

Why only rented homes, are not owner occupiers equally at risk?

Edited by Bruce Banner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

It sounds serious.

More people marching into other peoples homes at the behest of the government.

Why only rented homes, are not owner occupiers equally at risk?

Who`s Responsibility is the operative word 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, longgone said:

Who`s Responsibility is the operative word 

Head of the household? 

If in doubt about electrical safety and renting, call landlord or letting agent.

If in doubt about electrical safety and owner occupier, call electrician.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

It sounds serious.

More people marching into other peoples homes at the behest of the government.

Why only rented homes, are not owner occupiers equally at risk?

Pretty sure I never marched into anyone's home to do an EICR.  So beyond the hyperbole what's your problem? :rolleyes:

(I picked up the keys from the agent, they having previously agreed a time with the tenants, and let myself in, leaving my peaked cap and jackboots at the door)

You seem to think it will now be required for doors to be kicked in to do an EICR.  

I guess you pay extra to be dragged kicking and screaming to the MOT station once a year :lol:

Edited by chronyx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Head of the household? 

If in doubt about electrical safety and renting, call landlord or letting agent.

If in doubt about electrical safety and owner occupier, call electrician.

.....and if the land lord or letting agent has no legal compulsion to fix the problem they can tell you to swivel.

If as an owner occupier you don't get the problem fixed with a proper electrician, that's your own fault / responsibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just object to renters being regarded as 2nd class citizens who are unable to take responsibility for their own safety. Enforced gas safety inspections always annoyed me.

The cost of the inspection is ultimately going to be paid for by the tenant, so why not make it voluntary as with owner occupiers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chronyx said:

Pretty sure I never marched into anyone's home to do an EICR.  So beyond the hyperbole what's your problem? :rolleyes:

(I picked up the keys from the agent, they having previously agreed a time with the tenants, and let myself in, leaving my peaked cap and jackboots at the door)

You seem to think it will now be required for doors to be kicked in to do an EICR.  

I guess you pay extra to be dragged kicking and screaming to the MOT station once a year :lol:

The only type of tenant who'd hate an occasional electrical check:

JS41483214.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bear Hug said:

The only type of tenant who'd hate an occasional electrical check:

JS41483214.jpg

By the time I left those ones, I didn't know a tester from a tin of biscuits. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

The nanny state marches on :rolleyes:.

Yeah I'm not a fan of it either. Always funny to see landlords getting the run around but this reeks of stepping stone to next regulation being ALL homes in England requiring this check. They get a nice little nanny state database of who owns what electronics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I just object to renters being regarded as 2nd class citizens who are unable to take responsibility for their own safety. Enforced gas safety inspections always annoyed me.

The cost of the inspection is ultimately going to be paid for by the tenant, so why not make it voluntary as with owner occupiers?

It's not their property to take responsibility for? 

One of the few benefits of renting (Ostensibly guaranteed legally safe gas and electrics) and you're moaning about it.  I'm ******ing stunned.

A buyer could (And has, I get to tell them the good news) buy a total electrical death trap because they never thought to have a pre-purchase inspection.  That is their responsibility. 

Edited by chronyx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I just object to renters being regarded as 2nd class citizens who are unable to take responsibility for their own safety. Enforced gas safety inspections always annoyed me.

The cost of the inspection is ultimately going to be paid for by the tenant, so why not make it voluntary as with owner occupiers?

No.  We've been through this hundreds of times on this site - if landlords could charge more, they would have done this already.  All the new hoops they have to jump through/fees will be absorbed by landlords, no one else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chronyx said:

It's not their property to take responsibility for? 

One of the few benefits of renting (Ostensibly guaranteed legally safe gas and electrics) and you're moaning about it.  I'm ******ing stunned.

A buyer could (And has, I get to tell them the good news) buy a total electrical death trap because they never thought to have a pre-purchase inspection.

Correct, so if they're worried they pay you to do an inspection and if there's a problem ask the landlord to fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chronyx said:

It's not their property to take responsibility for? 

One of the few benefits of renting (Ostensibly guaranteed legally safe gas and electrics) and you're moaning about it.  I'm ******ing stunned.

A buyer could (And has, I get to tell them the good news) buy a total electrical death trap because they never thought to have a pre-purchase inspection.

Exactly.  Although I'd agree to deal with plumbing, gas, electrics, roof myself if they half my rent.  Zero chance of that though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bruce Banner said:

Correct, so if they're worried they pay you to do an inspection and if there's a problem ask the landlord to fix it.

Why would the tenants pay when it is the landlord's responsibility and all they need to do is agree a time and date with the tenants? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bear Hug said:

Exactly.  Although I'd agree to deal with plumbing, gas, electrics, roof myself if they half my rent.  Zero chance of that though.

A small time landlord might let you sort minor handyman type things, I guess.  Gas/electrics/plumbing, I'd want a professional.

Large scale will want certs/insurance/risk assessments and method statements for everything :lol:

Edited by chronyx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

No.  We've been through this hundreds of times on this site - if landlords could charge more, they would have done this already.  All the new hoops they have to jump through/fees will be absorbed by landlords, no one else.

When it's first brought in, sure, but ultimately, the cost of these compulsory inspections will be borne by the tenant, including the letting agent's mark up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chronyx said:

A small time landlord might like you sort minor handyman type things, I guess.  Gas/electrics/plumbing, I'd want a professional.

You've never met the plumber my landlords send !!! ) The guy electrocuted himself because he couldn't be bothered to disconnect power to the boiler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chronyx said:

A small time landlord might like you sort minor handyman type things, I guess.  Gas/electrics/plumbing, I'd want a professional.

I used to sort out all that for my last landlord, including gas certificate, and send him the bill, I much preferred it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

When it's first brought in, sure, but ultimately, the cost of these compulsory inspections will be borne by the tenant, including the letting agent's mark up.

what mark up?  The actual rent?  Because lots of fees are being outlawed very soon now.  And if they could raise rent, they would have done so already.  Why would you ever rent out below what market is willing to pay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I used to sort out all that for my last landlord, including gas certificate, and send him the bill, I much preferred it that way.

Well if it worked for you...can't see the appeal in doing free admin work for the landlord myself.

A lot of the time the properties were vacant anyway (so there were no tenants to march in on) as I was checking they were safe for the new tenants anyway.  Gas/legionnaires disease testing all done at once. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I used to sort out all that for my last landlord, including gas certificate, and send him the bill, I much preferred it that way.

I do do minor jobs around the house myself with the understanding that big jobs get done quickly and well: landlords got new boiler installed recently, etc.  However,  not all landlords are reasonable and not all tenants are capable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bear Hug said:

I do do minor jobs around the house myself with the understanding that big jobs get done quickly and well: landlords got new boiler installed recently, etc.  However,  not all landlords are reasonable and not all tenants are capable.

Nor are all owner occupiers, are you suggesting compulsory checks for all dwellings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 293 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.