House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crazypabs

Land Registry Dec 2018 (Press Release)

2 hours ago, Freezer? Best place for it said:

Am I thick, or is this meaningless numbers and the use of “increase” a lot?  No sold prices,  just like RM then.

Perhps as prices are now falling they decide not to include the prices !!!

Is this a mistake?  I'm completely baffled, have they released an incomplete report early by accident?

There are no prices in the summary, but the Full Dataset download leads to a spreadsheet you can download with 95,475 rows containing the price and full address for every house sale registered in December.  Each one also has a date - only some were sold in December, the rest are for sales in previous months that were registered in December.

Is the news so "bad" that they're leaving it to us to everyone else out the average, instead of working it out for us?

Edited by Tes Tickle
Clarified on dates

Actually November's report was the same.  Have they always left it to others to produce the headline figures?

This month's figure will need to be adjusted over the following months as other sales trickle in later, but even so I can't see why they can't publish an average, and a regional breakdown too.

Who said we were a divided society...highest price paid £11m for terrace house  in Kensington and Chelsea and lowest £17k for terraced house in Peterlee...

2 hours ago, rantnrave said:

Thanks!

Rookie question - what's the significance of the colours the prices there are listed in (green, grey or red)?

I think red means last real sale was at a lower price than previous sale. Green means higher (biased as a favourable outcome?!), and grey is no data.

41 minutes ago, delibes said:

I think red means last real sale was at a lower price than previous sale. Green means higher (biased as a favourable outcome?!), and grey is no data.

If I had more time, I'd started a rolling thread of examples where rising house prices are visually communicated as being 'good' and falling 'bad' (exhibit A, Rightmove's logo)

Green is an increase (versus the previous sale, where available), red is a decrease in both real and nominal terms, and amber indicates a fall in real terms only.

Red and green is used in line with the near universal convention in trading systems and the like, which I'm not about to reverse just to try and make a point. You'll just have to get used to seeing red as a good thing like anyone shorting a stock, or short of a house.

The amber is an exclusive houseprices.io invention. Or it might have been suggested by someone on here, I can't remember.

@evictee, it remains a fantastic website. Thanks so much!

EDIT: What is the significance of the yellow background for the rows for certain houses? It seems a bit random and "sticky"?

GunterRd.PNG.c0385a9718f7342f77dd07a35c1431c1.PNG

ps. Number 50 looks cheap!

Edited by mrtickle

21 hours ago, evictee said:

Green is an increase (versus the previous sale, where available), red is a decrease in both real and nominal terms, and amber indicates a fall in real terms only.

Didn't houseprices.io previously provide a percentage real increase/decrease?

4 hours ago, mrtickle said:

@evictee, it remains a fantastic website. Thanks so much!

EDIT: What is the significance of the yellow background for the rows for certain houses? It seems a bit random and "sticky"?

Thanks @mrtickle. The yellow rows are the Land Registry's "additional price paid transactions", a category of sales which were previously excluded from the Land Registry's prices paid data, but began to be captured in October 2013.

The Land Registry defines this category as:

•     property transfers carried out under a power of sale
  •     repossessions
  •     buy-to-lets where they can be identified by a mortgage
  •     transfers to non-private individuals

@Kosmin, if you're browsing on mobile you have to click on the "Details..." link in each row to jump to the full details which shows the real and nominal percentage changes. On desktop those details appear on the right as you hover over each row, and if you hover over a percentage change it should also show the change per annum.

21 minutes ago, evictee said:

@Kosmin, if you're browsing on mobile you have to click on the "Details..." link in each row to jump to the full details which shows the real and nominal percentage changes. On desktop those details appear on the right as you hover over each row, and if you hover over a percentage change it should also show the change per annum.

I've never looked at this on my mobile. I'm using my work computer, whereas I previously used a personal computer and was able to see the percentage changes. Now there is nothing on the right, and nothing appears when I hover over the numbers.

1 hour ago, Kosmin said:

I've never looked at this on my mobile. I'm using my work computer, whereas I previously used a personal computer and was able to see the percentage changes. Now there is nothing on the right, and nothing appears when I hover over the numbers.

Oh dear, that's no good. What browser are you using?

Anyone else finding the same?

Thanks for the yellow info. Sometimes it used to get "stuck" on one house on the Right hand side, and I'd have to re-load the page to get the "hover" behaviour you described above, with the right panel changing as you move the mouse over different houses.

But I haven't seen that for a while.

Please could you put a little colour-key table on your FAQ page? :)