House Price Crash Forum
prozac

European Medicines Agency in High Court fight with Canary Wharf over Brexit move

47 minutes ago, prozac said:

A major European Union agency currently based in Tower Hamlets is fighting a High Court battle against Canary Wharf in a bid to use Brexit to get out of an estimated £500 million bill.

https://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/news/crime-court/european-medicines-agency-fights-canary-wharf-at-the-high-court-1-5854414

Lol!

Hahaha. 

Not a cat in hell's chance of getting out of the lease like that. 

If they won it would set a precedent for tenants around the country to exit onerous leases for many reason. "We couldn't foresee the Tories cutting the dole, therefore lease invalid, We couldn't foresee JLR laying of 4k people, therefore lease invalid. etc etc"

54 minutes ago, surfcat said:

But article is 16th January.  For a six-day case, it should be over by now.  What was the outcome?

Mr Justice Marcus Smith is expected to reserve his judgment. 

11 minutes ago, Unknown user said:

What does that mean? :huh:

He is going to ask the government, this could crash commercial property values 

10 hours ago, Unknown user said:

Ah I see. Well in which case I wonder what they'll tell him to say...

They will tell him to say NO, but if this gets taken to the European courts they will say YES, how many contracts will then be null and void.

This will be a Propertypricecrash of a mega amount 

4 hours ago, prozac said:

Which will be...

Joanne Wicks QC, said that “if the EMA were to succeed in this claim, other tenants might be tempted to follow suit, with significant consequences for the property market”

what do you think ? quashed  maybe. 

3 hours ago, prozac said:

They will tell him to say NO, but if this gets taken to the European courts they will say YES, how many contracts will then be null and void.

This will be a Propertypricecrash of a mega amount 

If we do go no deal the EU would love your scenario if it went that far. 

Have that Britain. 

Surely the real question is what the hell is a smallish European governmental agency renting for £25M per year in Canary Wharf?  They could get an office block for 1/10th that in any major other city in the UK. 

That alone is enough to reassure me leaving the EU is a good move.

3 hours ago, ElPapasito said:

Surely the real question is what the hell is a smallish European governmental agency renting for £25M per year in Canary Wharf?  They could get an office block for 1/10th that in any major other city in the UK. 

+1.

That is the right question.

3 hours ago, ElPapasito said:

17 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

+1.

That is the right question.

From here - and I love the abuse of the page (or is it poetic irony?):

image.thumb.png.45dda9b03b0cddfaaae66fe0c8840d1d.png

5 hours ago, ElPapasito said:

There is not one single thing that brexiters can't add on the phrase "That alone is enough to reassure me leaving the EU is a good move.".

Everything is spun to maintain the primary directive.

9 hours ago, dugsbody said:

There is not one single thing that brexiters can't add on the phrase "That alone is enough to reassure me leaving the EU is a good move.".

Agreed. Brexit is utter madness, voted for by the majority in the UK but somehow it's the EUs fault.

The world is judging the UK, and it's not complimentary.

16 hours ago, dugsbody said:

You're missing the obvious point, so I'll spell it out for you.

That £25m/year was taxpayer's money, veing swilled about by a just a tiny fragment of the vast bureaucratic machine that is the EU, to which we (all, as individuals) contributed a big share.  We're going to stop paying towards it.

22 hours ago, ElPapasito said:

That is the right answer.

46 minutes ago, Tes Tickle said:

Yes, I thought it was obvious too.

7 hours ago, BoredByTorque said:

Agreed. Brexit is utter madness, voted for by the majority in the UK but somehow it's the EUs fault.

That doesn't make any sense.

5 hours ago, Captain Kirk said:

That doesn't make any sense.

Also agree. It makes no sense for us to blame the EU for our idiocy but there you go.

I know that's not what you actually meant but unless you'd like to elboraote on why *you* felt it didn't make sense I can only assume you struggle to read?

6 hours ago, Tes Tickle said:

That £25m/year was taxpayer's money, veing swilled about by a just a tiny fragment of the vast bureaucratic machine that is the EU, to which we (all, as individuals) contributed a big share.  We're going to stop paying towards it.

I'm not missing the point. I assume you've done the research and have cost benefit analysis to present to us on how we'll structure the alternative, what it'll save us and so forth?

Otherwise you're just another random internet pundit making the usual emotive hyperbole. Each year I get the breakdown of where my tax money goes. The portion to the EU is tiny. It feels very worth it. 

Waste is waste but whatever.  It's too late now, the leave/stay referendum was way back in 2016, after which parliament is compelled to obey the will of the electorate.  You're flogging a dead horse.

On 29/01/2019 at 20:43, dugsbody said:

It can be two things... remainers really need to acknowledge some of the problems with the EU if they genuinely want to try and shift the opinion of leavers. Leavers are guilty of burying their heads in the sand, but remainers are really no better.