House Price Crash Forum
PeanutButter

Landlord chancer

Mate moved rentals recently. Got an extra room for the same rent in the same area (yes rents are falling in their area of London - still paying over 2k a month).

Got curtains professionally cleaned, desperate to get deposit back so went extra mile on cleaning. 

Landlord says 'I'm keeping 2k because you shortened the curtains and I want another doormat because you replaced one. Also you need to pay for a new kitchen cabinet.'

Me: *eyes bulging out of head with barely suppressed rage* 

They replaced the doormat because it was worn out (check in shows it was worn at the start anyway) and landlord is claiming to replace the one at the back 'so they match'. Cabinet on 15yo kitchen broke midway through tenancy and landlord didn't fix, now saying they're liable for it. Curtains done by company that's been operating for 20 years. 

THIS is why people hate landlords. 

So first question from me is 'Where is the landlord from?' 

Turkey but lives here. 😒

Anyway they challenged and she's backed down on a few things.

3 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

desperate to get deposit back so went extra mile on cleaning.

Cleaning the place when you move out has in my experience zero correlation with getting the deposit back.

1 hour ago, Habeas Domus said:

Cleaning the place when you move out has in my experience zero correlation with getting the deposit back.

One of the ‘reasons’ she gave for wanting 2k was that it wasn’t cleaned properly - but they hired a professional cleaning company for £350.

Exactly you could spend 10 K on cleaning and it wouldnt make any difference.
The LL probably didnt even look at the place before declaring it wasnt clean enough.

On the last day of a tenancy it's a good idea to buy a newspaper and shoot video showing the date and the condition of the rooms just in case you have to go to the small claims court.

I found the small claims court very good for this. They used the hard copy photos though as could be sent as part of the evidence bundle.

As she lives in this country it should be easier to get the money back if they win.Hope they have a copy of the inventory in and the inventory out?  Is the deposit in a scheme?

20 hours ago, Habeas Domus said:

I expect similar problems, mainly because the Landlady is a mean, bullying, dwarf of a bitch, who loves other people’s money.  The funniest thing was when she produced an imaginary invoice for rodding the drains, the Lettlng Agents had kittens when I ripped it up in front of them.

Got all the paperwork, all done by the book. 

I really hope they don't cave and give her anything. A broken hinge on a 15yo kitchen cabinet is wear and tear, and definitely not down to the tenant to replace the whole unit. 

36 minutes ago, Freezer? Best place for it said:

I expect similar problems, mainly because the Landlady is a mean, bullying, dwarf of a bitch, who loves other people’s money.  The funniest thing was when she produced an imaginary invoice for rodding the drains, the Lettlng Agents had kittens when I ripped it up in front of them.

I want landlords to be centrally licensed and I wish there was a way of knowing if they're paying HMRC their dues. So many times when landlords niggle on money I think it comes down to them squeezing every penny out of a property because they aren't bothering to pay tax. 

Surely this boils down to a simple dispute via the deposit protection scheme, doesn't it?

Edited by Si1

Well, it's going to TDS for adjudication. 

She backed down on curtains but still wanted £950 on the basis that they cracked the corner of the hob (agreed, they did, it still works) and she wants them to pay her the new value of it (it's 5 years old and no longer made). She refused to agree that any money paid for the hob would actually go towards replacing the hob because it's in working order, just wants the money as a way of punishing them.

When they disagreed on this she told the agents the renters were stupid and she would now claim for £2600 because f them. 

On 29/01/2019 at 12:54, PeanutButter said:

Well, it's going to TDS for adjudication. 

She backed down on curtains but still wanted £950 on the basis that they cracked the corner of the hob (agreed, they did, it still works) and she wants them to pay her the new value of it (it's 5 years old and no longer made). She refused to agree that any money paid for the hob would actually go towards replacing the hob because it's in working order, just wants the money as a way of punishing them.

When they disagreed on this she told the agents the renters were stupid and she would now claim for £2600 because f them. 

Tds being the deposit protection scheme? The LL sounds on thin ice.

Are there no limits to the greed of some of these landlords? As if he/she hasn't made enough already from the rent. <_<

11 hours ago, Si1 said:

Tds being the deposit protection scheme? The LL sounds on thin ice.

Yes Tenant Deposit Scheme. She has 14 days to submit evidence, then tenants can review it and rebutt.

52 minutes ago, MattW said:

Are there no limits to the greed of some of these landlords? As if he/she hasn't made enough already from the rent. <_<

Clearly not. She earned over £50,000 gross from them on a 2 year contract. 

On 1/31/2019 at 10:39 PM, PeanutButter said:

Yes Tenant Deposit Scheme. She has 14 days to submit evidence, then tenants can review it and rebutt.

Clearly not. She earned over £50,000 gross from them on a 2 year contract. 

I had a similar experience. In my view, it all depends on which Adjudicator picks up your mate;s case. In my case, it must've been a complete amateur as he did not consider a single piece of evidence. Neither did he consider the current (then) market rates for cleaning nor the replacement costs of items claimed to be damaged by me. I still got away with a £180 deduction (LL had claimed £640 in total) so wasn;t too bad.

To be fair, more often that not, the burden of proof is on the LL and the decisions are in the tenant's favour. Good luck to your mate!

16 hours ago, modavid said:

.....as he did not consider a single piece of evidence.

Presume the “Adjudicator” (whether person or Organ) gets paid on quantity, not quality.  Is the appeal % reported anywhere?  It would be interesting to see if it reaches the dizzy heights for  the DWP

Update: Found completely in tenant's favour. Small amount (under £100 as tenant agreed) deducted. 

I've also convinced them to report to HMRC in case there's some tax missing on the place...

On 3/30/2019 at 12:40 PM, PeanutButter said:

Update: Found completely in tenant's favour. Small amount (under £100 as tenant agreed) deducted. 

I've also convinced them to report to HMRC in case there's some tax missing on the place...

Brilliant! Glad for your mate :)

On 06/04/2019 at 21:30, modavid said:

Brilliant! Glad for your mate :)

On 30/03/2019 at 13:02, Freezer? Best place for it said:

Well done - too long has the renter been screwed over.

Good to see we can have faith in the system sometimes. What narks me is that a tenant in a weaker position or less informed could well have been duped into accepting her manipulation. I want these sorts of people to have to attend a landlording course, much like bad drivers. 

51 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

What narks me is that a tenant in a weaker position or less informed could well have been duped into accepting her manipulation.

The acceptance by Joe Public that the “Establishment” is always right is mind numbing and stupid.  If it stinks, it is generally wrong.  Joe is too quick to accept Officialdom as correct.