House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghostly

Notice Periods

Just curious about what your contractual notice periods are at your current job? Mine is 3 months.

I always laugh when you get a new job, the conversation usually goes like this:

New employer (NE): So when can you start? We'd really like you as soon as possible.

Me: My notice period is 3 months.

NE: Do you think you could start sooner?

Me: Well, I can certainly ask but I think you should plan for 3 months to be the answer.

NE: Ok.

Me: What will my notice period be when I join you?

NE: 3 months.

Me: *facepalm*

I've had three month notice periods before but I've never actually served the whole time period (but I've been close to it). I was thinking about how pointless that length of notice period is really.

3 months really ?  is the redundancy period the same or 3 months garden leave. 

how about death in service cover ? do you need to give 3 months notice before you can die ?

I’m on three months too - seems to be increasingly common. Yes, you get the tedious negotiation between your employer who wants you to serve full notice and new employer who wants you asap. 

Also yes, it means if they want to make you redundant they have to give you three months notice. 

1 hour ago, RentingForever said:

I’m on three months too - seems to be increasingly common. Yes, you get the tedious negotiation between your employer who wants you to serve full notice and new employer who wants you asap. 

Also yes, it means if they want to make you redundant they have to give you three months notice. 

Yep, I suppose you do at least get that upside should the worst happen.

I don’t think you have to give notice of death @longgone :D

4 minutes ago, Ghostly said:

Yep, I suppose you do at least get that upside should the worst happen.

I don’t think you have to give notice of death @longgone :D

excellent i`m dead excited. 

On 26/01/2019 at 11:54, RentingForever said:

Only if your contract of employment calls out a three months notice period from employer to employee. Three months employee notice does not imply three months notice from employer.

Legal minimums are:

• at least one week’s notice if employed between one month and 2 years
  • one week’s notice for each year if employed between 2 and 12 years
  • 12 weeks’ notice if employed for 12 years or more

On 26/01/2019 at 11:54, RentingForever said:

Not if they go into administration. Then they can sack you on the spot with no notice or pay.

Happened with my current employer.

On 28/01/2019 at 15:49, AThirdWay said:

Legal minimums are:

• at least one week’s notice if employed between one month and 2 years
  • one week’s notice for each year if employed between 2 and 12 years
  • 12 weeks’ notice if employed for 12 years or more

Statutory has a maximum weekly pay of £508 per week.

15 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

Isn't that the statutory redundancy max weekly payment?

Your compensation over your notice period should be as per your agreed contract. Your employer can request you don't attend the workplace over the notice period, but they are obliged to compensate you for that period at the normal rate. 

I believe this is true even in you example of a company going into administration, if it continues trading. If it ceases trading, you get nowt immediately, with an outside chance of getting something from UK.GOV to cover notice, redundancy, unpaid wages etc.

Good luck with that!

16 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

But this is tax free, and employers are free to pay more if they want to however unlikely that is I have heard of a few that do.

5 hours ago, AThirdWay said:

I believe this is true even in you example of a company going into administration, if it continues trading. If it ceases trading, you get nowt immediately, with an outside chance of getting something from UK.GOV to cover notice, redundancy, unpaid wages etc.

Nope, the company gets you  to apply from the government scheme.  The 3 month notice is meaningless,

If the company is in  administration they can pay days worked, not a penny more.