House Price Crash Forum

It's always the poor mortgaged homeowner, f*** the 2nd or 3rd class renter

HOLA441

Yet again something happened today that really gets my goat, a news story, event or it could be in general conversation, it's when somethings happens that effects many people with various degrees and yet those that are "homeowners" or even worse "hard working homeowners" get the majority of the sympathy.

Was listening to a story in the media today about a huge rubbish mountain that is taking up acres of field space, it's all wrapped up in bale size blocks using plastic and was supposed to be got rid of by a Chinese company that screwed up. It is un sightly and now starting to stink as well as spoiling the country views, but who does the media feel sympathy for? "Homeowners worried their house value might drop".

Is their anyone else that gets sick of this, jobs could be about to be lost, interest rates going up, FTSE falls, and everytime it's the hardworking mortgaged homeowner that we need to be concerned about, renters can get to f***.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
6 minutes ago, localhero1983 said:

Yet again something happened today that really gets my goat, a news story, event or it could be in general conversation, it's when somethings happens that effects many people with various degrees and yet those that are "homeowners" or even worse "hard working homeowners" get the majority of the sympathy.

Was listening to a story in the media today about a huge rubbish mountain that is taking up acres of field space, it's all wrapped up in bale size blocks using plastic and was supposed to be got rid of by a Chinese company that screwed up. It is un sightly and now starting to stink as well as spoiling the country views, but who does the media feel sympathy for? "Homeowners worried their house value might drop".

Is their anyone else that gets sick of this, jobs could be about to be lost, interest rates going up, FTSE falls, and everytime it's the hardworking mortgaged homeowner that we need to be concerned about, renters can get to f***.

Even when I was a homeowner I used to wonder about this. When I became a renter in the 90s I was at first disgusted until I found I began to derive a perverse pleasure from it.

Phone rings mid evening - some laughable sales patter, call centre guy starts to talk, "I do not own the property" says I,  beeeeeeeeeeeee at the other end, the bloke had hung up. Not even a word like, "oh well this isn't for you, good evening" or anything. 

Saturday morning was liberating, no queuing up at B & Q to obtain a part to maintain/mend something at which I had no measurable skill but wouldn't/couldn't find/pay for a suitable tradesman to undertake.

As for hardworking home owners, one family I had lived next door to just routinely bought with the biggest mortgage they could get and lived off the money left over until it ran out and they moved again, rinsed and repeated. The guy had a handful of bogus businesses and I don't recall him doing a day's work in the three years we had the misfortune to have them next door. He actually told me this was what he did but that he'd had to work initially to get the ball rolling. Guess what, it was in the south east.

Although I've never read about the fall of Rome I have this strange feeling that we can't get away with this shyte forever and that one day somebody is going to have to turn up and produce something somebody wants and sell it to them instead of larking about pretending that some of the world's worst value housing will somehow maintain us in the style we have become accustomed to.

In the intervening 30 years however we have managed to export this financial poison to so many other countries, so I guess it probably will continue forever.

HOLA444
HOLA445
50 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Owners of land and property are a privileged group  and have been since 1066.

Similar story recently about the new toilets which have been installed at the end of bus routes in London so that drivers can have somewhere to go before turning around.

Some residents in Biggin Hill - one of the remotest parts of London - complained about these being installed at the bus stop in their street.  No thought for the bus drivers - their house prices come first!

"The toilet is right outside the house of Cliff Neville, 33, who said he was speechless when he first saw what had happened.

He said: 'This will take thousands away from our house prices. And the vandalism of it will as well.

'We want it removed. We're going to fight to ensure it goes. We will not rest until this has gone. Although, I don't think it will last many days anyway. Look what has happened to it already."

Any suggestions where the bus drivers should go instead?!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6466861/Neighbours-slam-transport-bosses-dumped-toilet-block-street.html

HOLA446
21 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

He said: 'This will take thousands away from our house prices. And the vandalism of it will as well.

'We want it removed. We're going to fight to ensure it goes. We will not rest until this has gone. Although, I don't think it will last many days anyway. Look what has happened to it already."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6466861/Neighbours-slam-transport-bosses-dumped-toilet-block-street.html

Good use of the word "dumped" in that headline there :)

HOLA447

I doubt a porta loo would affect the value of their houses, the issue of vandalism is a separate matter. Decades ago, when houses werent worth as much, i doubt people would be bothered about this, as it would have zero real negative impact on their lives. But now they are worth a fortune,  that is what obsesses people. Everything must be subordinate to house prices. 

HOLA448
25 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

"The toilet is right outside the house of Cliff Neville, 33, who said he was speechless when he first saw what had happened.

The list is endless, I have lived in several villages in my lifetime, the most NIMBY and house price protective  being those in  South Cambs.

1. Wind farms(5 miles away)

2, New starter housing

3, Youth club

4, No end of "unsuitable village hall use"

5, Football team hut(cricket ones are fine)

6, Coaches parking at the wrong place for the school pick up, noisy kids etc

7, Chippy wagon

8, Not in a million years will you ever get permission to open a chippy or Kebab place, I am sort of OK with that though for selfish reasons

More will come to me later, and so many of these NIMBYS are BTL landlords that have trashed local communities in the nearest biggest towns

HOLA449
1 hour ago, Bluestone59 said:

Even when I was a homeowner I used to wonder about this. When I became a renter in the 90s I was at first disgusted until I found I began to derive a perverse pleasure from it.

Phone rings mid evening - some laughable sales patter, call centre guy starts to talk, "I do not own the property" says I,  beeeeeeeeeeeee at the other end, the bloke had hung up. Not even a word like, "oh well this isn't for you, good evening" or anything. 

Saturday morning was liberating, no queuing up at B & Q to obtain a part to maintain/mend something at which I had no measurable skill but wouldn't/couldn't find/pay for a suitable tradesman to undertake.

The best one was to answer those cold calls and willingly book an appointment for their sales guy to come over one evening, to measure up for a conservatory. But when he arrives he discovers you have a 2nd floor flat :)

HOLA4410
13 minutes ago, mrtickle said:

Good use of the word "dumped" in that headline there :)

Surely some of you have heard the "urban myths" of money bags City scum moving to villages and complaining about noisy cockerels and country smells for various reasons including house price considerations, I promise you that is a real thing

HOLA4411
2 minutes ago, localhero1983 said:

Surely some of you have heard the "urban myths" of money bags City scum moving to villages and complaining about noisy cockerels and country smells for various reasons including house price considerations, I promise you that is a real thing

Yep. I'm sure it was this site that has discussed one instance where a farmer put a huge sign up saying "To City people: This is the Countryside, there will be smells, noises, shit" and a load of other things - can anyone remember where it was?

EDIT: found it!

https://www.countryliving.com/uk/wildlife/farming/a19858428/farmer-hilarious-sign-townies-complaining-farm-animals/

DPK9GwVWAAYu68i.jpg

Edited by mrtickle

HOLA4412
3 minutes ago, mrtickle said:

can anyone remember where it was?

It's everywhere Tickle?

Honestly mate, this is far from being Isolated, I found the villages around Saffron Walden to be the worst, some of the Bankers were even buying farms up and cultivating them into their sterile clinical images. Even the homes that were just very average at one point got this new breed moving into them that complained about everything, all trying to be local councillors or getting in with them to try and get some of their old city ways introduced.

HOLA4413

On a similar note, loads of colleagues,  on more money than me, who have CHOSEN to take out the maximum mortgage to live somewhere trendy, moaning that they can barely make it to payday. No thought that maybe they could have taken out a slightly smaller mortgage, gone on a less expensive holiday, made do with the same car. Problem is, i fear that these people are in the majority now and when economy hits the fan they will be treated as victims at the expense of everybody else. 

HOLA4414

Local councillors also live in certain areas and they make sure things residents wouldnt like don't get built. Where my parents used to live the only two commercial businesses were a long running newsagent, and a small premises that ran unsuccessfuly as a corner shop, then unsuccessfuly as a hairdressers. Loads of people tried to get permission to turn it into a chip shop/takeaway(it would have been a goldmine as there is not another one for over a mile in any direction.) But permission was repeatedly refused. Perversely in the much less affuent area i live myself, without exaggeration, there are over a dozen takeaways 5/10mins walk from my front door.

HOLA4415
4 hours ago, Bluestone59 said:

Phone rings mid evening - some laughable sales patter, call centre guy starts to talk, "I do not own the property"

I’ll let you in to a little secret... you can say that even if you do you own the property and it’s just as fun.  They don’t check up on you before hanging up :D 

HOLA4416
4 hours ago, Bluestone59 said:

Although I've never read about the fall of Rome I have this strange feeling that we can't get away with this shyte forever and that one day somebody is going to have to turn up and produce something somebody wants and sell it to them instead of larking about pretending that some of the world's worst value housing will somehow maintain us in the style we have become accustomed to.

Agreed.  Things always go in cycles, albeit not necessarily as long (or dramatic) as the rise and fall of the Roman Empire.

All the cultural and industrial progress of 1960s was followed by the disastrous labour relations, three day weeks etc of the 1970s.

The 1990s saw Britain move from recession and the farcical ERM/Black Wednesday at the start to a strong finish when the UK government was running a budget surplus (remember that) only to be followed by the 2000s in which every productive industry was outsourced to China, whilst the country financed its expenses [and blew up house prices] with unsustainable debt, with the inevitable result that living standards are now backpedalling.

Doubtless there will be many more rises and falls to come.

HOLA4417

Even though I'm old enough to have lived through recessions and down turns that have seen home owners literally just handing their keys back to the bank it seems almost unbelievable that it ever really did happen.

And certainly feels inconceivable that it could ever happen again thanks to the current political establishment policies of 'protect and support homeowners at ALL cost'.

HOLA4418
2 hours ago, nome said:

Even though I'm old enough to have lived through recessions and down turns that have seen home owners literally just handing their keys back to the bank it seems almost unbelievable that it ever really did happen.

And certainly feels inconceivable that it could ever happen again thanks to the current political establishment policies of 'protect and support homeowners at ALL cost'.

Agreed!

And yet just when everyone had finally thrown in the towel and accepted the new "normal" along came a black swan and around we went again. I threw my hat in the ring last year and declared I thought the time was now ... errr .... then, if you see what I mean. Looks like I was right for London and the surrounds, to a limited degree, which is what I was basing my view on, but spoke too soon for the rest of the UK, at least for now.

Anecdotally my sister just sold her flat in Maidenhead and bemoaned that she had lost money. On questioning, she didn't actually lose anything, she made a tiny profit after fees etc. she just didn't get the original asking price and effectively lived rent free for a couple of years. Few of the other properties nearby are selling and those that are have all discounted markedly from the original asking price to the stage where people in Maidenhead at least, are beginning to realise loses, small ones admittedly, but loses are becoming the new norm in the M4 London commuter belt.

HOLA4419
8 hours ago, scottbeard said:

Agreed.  Things always go in cycles, albeit not necessarily as long (or dramatic) as the rise and fall of the Roman Empire.

All the cultural and industrial progress of 1960s was followed by the disastrous labour relations, three day weeks etc of the 1970s.

The 1990s saw Britain move from recession and the farcical ERM/Black Wednesday at the start to a strong finish when the UK government was running a budget surplus (remember that) only to be followed by the 2000s in which every productive industry was outsourced to China, whilst the country financed its expenses [and blew up house prices] with unsustainable debt, with the inevitable result that living standards are now backpedalling.

Doubtless there will be many more rises and falls to come.

Indeed. Reversion to the mean is a thing, a very big thing. But it will take decades.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4420

I love the fear of the homeowner - NOTHING can affect the steady progress of value increase on my property. If anything does, I'm screwed. Too much reliance on the gamble paying off. Im sure those lucky folks in Camden who bought a year ago are loving the fact that the value of their investment has fallen so much (on average, the equivalent of my rent over the last 6 years).

HOLA4421
5 hours ago, nome said:

This time it's different....?

HOLA4422
13 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Similar story recently about the new toilets which have been installed at the end of bus routes in London so that drivers can have somewhere to go before turning around.

Some residents in Biggin Hill - one of the remotest parts of London - complained about these being installed at the bus stop in their street.  No thought for the bus drivers - their house prices come first!

The bog is far more stylish than the houses behind it imho. Sadly it's also about the size of a new build in somewhere worth living like not Biggin Hill. 

HOLA4423
5 minutes ago, Unmoderated said:

The bog is far more stylish than the houses behind it imho. Sadly it's also about the size of a new build in somewhere worth living like not Biggin Hill. 

I am not sure I agree I think it is hideous - on the plus side for the residents it does mean that TFL will never remove them from the bus route!

I can sort of understand why people are concerned about the price of their homes if you buy a home in area x and that area is blighted and prices fall by £y then you can never move.  Of course if all prices in London fall by y% it only affects you if you go into negative equity.

HOLA4424
33 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

I am not sure I agree I think it is hideous - on the plus side for the residents it does mean that TFL will never remove them from the bus route!

I can sort of understand why people are concerned about the price of their homes if you buy a home in area x and that area is blighted and prices fall by £y then you can never move.  Of course if all prices in London fall by y% it only affects you if you go into negative equity.

Fair enough. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder hence Cherie Blair getting married :D.

You raise a good couple of points.

Will always be on the bus route. 

The other is the LTV ratio. I disagree that prices falling is only impacting you if you go negative equity (although that is clearly the worst place to be). The LTV is directly related to the market value and increasingly important the less equity you have in terms of ensuring the monthly payments are kept low. Plopping a loo outside a house is certainly going to impact the sale-ability and therefore the price so they may fall from say a 75% LTV on a decent rate to a 91% LTV on a much worse rate.

Not sure I'd want it outside my home either, but then I'm not directly on a bus route and there's only a very narrow path so at worst the drivers would start weeing in my hedge which I think is at least beneficial for the health of the topiary. 

HOLA4425
14 hours ago, mrtickle said:

Yep. I'm sure it was this site that has discussed one instance where a farmer put a huge sign up saying "To City people: This is the Countryside, there will be smells, noises, shit" and a load of other things - can anyone remember where it was?

Like the one who moved to the Country next to a church then complained about the noise the bells make, expected everything to change because of them, probably used to getting their own way......couldn't make it up.;)