House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Si1

Militant Help to Buy supporters

Noticed a few online discussion threads outside the financial specific sites, where some posters point out the dangers and problems of the help to buy scheme, and get aggressively verbally attacked for trying to stomp on people's home owning dreams.

E.g. 

1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

People online are always ready to be angry. Anonymity breeds contempt. 

Good book, highly recommend https://www.waterstones.com/book/ten-arguments-for-deleting-your-social-media-accounts-right-now/jaron-lanier/9781847925398

Turns out we're only civil creatures when there's a risk. No risk, no civility.

Very true as is evidenced by some posters here sadly!

Personally I have no social media and think mebook and twatter exemplify the self absorbed society that we live in  - just not interested in what some person I do not really know or who was some work college or school mate that I had little in common with then is doing.  Nor am I narcissistic enough to think they care what I am doing.  

The people I care about ring each other and meet up regularly.  

4 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

People online are always ready to be angry. Anonymity breeds contempt. 

Good book, highly recommend https://www.waterstones.com/book/ten-arguments-for-deleting-your-social-media-accounts-right-now/jaron-lanier/9781847925398

Turns out we're only civil creatures when there's a risk. No risk, no civility.

Great book that. 

It's not just social media, it's the whole 'instant communication stripped of all non-verbal and visual cues'.

I do like to use emojis as much as sensible for that reason. 

But yeah, facebook is a hell pit :D 

It's also a common human trait to react with hostility when an assumption that was taken as the status quo is legitimately questioned, since it highlights the individual's shortcomings in rationally assessing / vetting said assumption.

In the HTB case, "Angry from Staines" probably just swallowed the government's justifications without giving their motives / its implications a second thought. Having pointed out what a crock of horrible exploitative sh*t it is makes them angry at themselves for failing to see that, and angry at whoever pointed it out for making them feel that way.

Either that or they're just too thick / disinterested to understand and continue to cling to the belief that the government have the kids' best interests at heart, rather than those of their scumbag developer party donors and property owning chums.

On 1/22/2019 at 8:14 AM, Si1 said:

Noticed a few online discussion threads outside the financial specific sites, where some posters point out the dangers and problems of the help to buy scheme, and get aggressively verbally attacked for trying to stomp on people's home owning dreams.

E.g. 

I guess it's out of jealousy more than anything else as most people DO understand that the Help to Buy scheme does not really help buyers at all. Most are desperate to get on to the housing ladder I suppose and view the Help to buy scheme as their only way up. Old homes are still unaffordable and when you can buy a new one for 5% that's like an early Christmas for many.

I came across a blog - mynewhomeblog.com - where a buyer of Persimmon new home analyses why he (or she?) used the Help to Buy scheme. It;s an interesting read as the person clearly understands the pitfalls yet goes ahead with it anyway. I don't agree with the logic but it seems like they are lining us taxpayers to pay for the imminent HPC.