House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
localhero1983

Rightmove up 0.4%

No worries here, though it would have been nice to see a January fall it that has not happened since 2012. Prices in London down another 1.5%, now back to 2015 levels, and transactions are dismal. 

Edited by localhero1983

1 hour ago, rantnrave said:

More insight here, from one of the best (and by best, I mean least VI) property news websites:

https://www.propertyindustryeye.com/number-of-new-properties-coming-to-market-falls-back-in-first-two-weeks-of-this-year/

Love the solitary comment so far:

It’s dead!! I can’t see this ending. Not even out of eu yet and it feels quieter then early  2008.  Someone tell me it’s just our area .

:D

14 hours ago, localhero1983 said:

No worries here, though it would have been nice to see a January fall it that has not happened since 2012. Prices in London down another 1.5%, now back to 2015 levels, and transactions are dismal. 

2012 prices would make me bite

10 hours ago, longgone said:

2012 prices would make me bite

When all this is done and dusted I am expecting prices to go much further back than 2012, sadly along with that the UK will not be a healthy state though.

1 hour ago, localhero1983 said:

When all this is done and dusted I am expecting prices to go much further back than 2012, sadly along with that the UK will not be a healthy state though.

The average working person having no prospect of a secure home at any point in their lifetime is "not a healthy state". People moan about the 2 week gravedigger strike in Liverpool and Manchester the 1970s as if this was the height of economic dysfunction, nowadays secure housing has been out of reach for the average propertyless worker for coming up on 2 decades.

7 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

The average working person having no prospect of a secure home at any point in their lifetime is "not a healthy state". People moan about the 2 week gravedigger strike in Liverpool and Manchester the 1970s as if this was the height of economic dysfunction, nowadays secure housing has been out of reach for the average propertyless worker for coming up on 2 decades.

And it goes a lot deeper, your gene pool and what your parents and grandparents owned has a lot to do with how so many people do well today and will in the future, schools/education, foot in the door to so many careers and of course housing. So many people go on about the dreaded 1970's and the winter of discontent, but I hear so many good things about that era as well

2 hours ago, localhero1983 said:

with no job and just cash in the bank i have very little to lose 

Probably the best people can hope for. Lower than inflation price increases keeping the HPI brigade going while marginally increasing affordability with each passing year. 

At a 2% differential real house prices will half in about 35 years. 

Can't wait. 

1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

Interestingly, in the 1970s more people left the UK than came to it. 

Interactive graph here:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/articles/explore50yearsofinternationalmigrationtoandfromtheuk/2016-12-01

graph.jpg

18 minutes ago, Unmoderated said:

Probably the best people can hope for. Lower than inflation price increases keeping the HPI brigade going while marginally increasing affordability with each passing year. 

At a 2% differential real house prices will half in about 35 years. 

Can't wait. 

houses will probably half in value over a period of time, become cheaper relative to other things. But that could still mean the actual sterling prices doubles in that period of time, and a loaf of bread costs £10.

Better to talk about how many big-macs a house cost 10 years ago, what it costs now, and what it will cost in 10 years. 

Thats the real issue. You need to save outside of sterling, or in asset classes which wont go down with sterling. 

Its too easy to print, nothing will fall in sterling terms, they have tied their colours to the mast with that one (look at the last 10 years!) . The currency will be trashed long before home-owners loose out in sterling terms. Mark my words this is the highest level of corruption you could imagine.

But history has presidents with the railway mania and shares. Too big to fail. If it were to fail debt forgiveness would be on the table, (just like before) so you still wouldn't win. 

Game is rigged against you.

1 minute ago, jiltedjen said:

houses will probably half in value over a period of time, become cheaper relative to other things. But that could still mean the actual sterling prices doubles in that period of time, and a loaf of bread costs £10.

Better to talk about how many big-macs a house cost 10 years ago, what it costs now, and what it will cost in 10 years. 

Thats the real issue. You need to save outside of sterling, or in asset classes which wont go down with sterling. 

Its too easy to print, nothing will fall in sterling terms, they have tied their colours to the mast with that one (look at the last 10 years!) . The currency will be trashed long before home-owners loose out in sterling terms. Mark my words this is the highest level of corruption you could imagine.

But history has presidents with the railway mania and shares. Too big to fail. If it were to fail debt forgiveness would be on the table, (just like before) so you still wouldn't win. 

Yes. We're talking real terms. 

26 minutes ago, Unmoderated said:

At a 2% differential real house prices will half in about 35 years

Can't wait. 

I bought a while back now so have a mortgage. They can print away and prices can half in real terms for all I care. My mortgage rate is below the rate of inflation anyway. It's a bit of a joke tbh. 

The rest of my money is in global equity trackers wrapped in ISAs and pensions (baring a bit of cash just in case). 

3 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

That £10 loaf of bread will require average wages at £150k. There is no sign of wage inflation.

3 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Interestingly, in the 1970s more people left the UK than came to it.

Yes as can be seen from the chart the mass net immigration coincided with Tony Blair's government taking power...

2 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Yes as can be seen from the chart the mass net immigration coincided with Tony Blair's government taking power...

updated-world-population-growth-1750-2100

He's responsible for a lot of things but if you take a wider view...

It's almost as if competition drives up resource values. 

10 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

here he goes again trying to convince everyone with bitcoin again without actually saying it. 

7 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

That £10 loaf of bread will require average wages at £150k. There is no sign of wage inflation.

exactly can`t have currency devaluation without wage inflation too much civil unrest otherwise. 

another brainwashed delusion about bitcoin. 

5 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Well said.