Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Quarter of a rasher a day..... LOL

Recommended Posts

The BBC has explained.

Apart from making us live longer, or at least making it seem that way, cows burp methane, a greenhouse gas,  when they are digesting food while waiting for us to eat them. But that is self defeating as, if we eat vegetables rather than cows, we will fart more methane than the cows burped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

M&S and Waitrose do Nitrite Free Bacon.

Definitely the way forward.

They do so in other shops.....good to have choices, to many bacon is bacon, backed or streaky, ham is ham, smoked or unsmoked......a nitrate what is that?😉

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/6122636/aldi-is-selling-bacon-without-cancer-causing-nitrates-and-for-cheaper-than-other-supermarkets/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

The BBC has explained.

Apart from making us live longer, or at least making it seem that way, cows burp methane, a greenhouse gas,  when they are digesting food while waiting for us to eat them. But that is self defeating as, if we eat vegetables rather than cows, we will fart more methane than the cows burped.

People have been rearing cows since before recorded history. Therefore keeping cows is not the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

People have been rearing cows since before recorded history. Therefore keeping cows is not the issue.

I agree, but the BBC were suggesting otherwise.

The real problem is too many people living too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While channel hopping we caught an evangelist saying the reason pork is proscribed by some religions is that pigs have a very short digestive system and eat any old sh1t, or something along those lines, which means that disease where present may be more likely to be carried over to the consumer.

I hadn't  heard this before but as I never eat it anyway it doesn't affect me. Having once worked two weeks on a Norfolk pig farm had something to do with that.

Cows have three stomachs, he said. I had thought it was seven. Or was that only Paul Gascoigne's mate?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I agree, but the BBC were suggesting otherwise.

The real problem is too many people living too long.

Who would have thought that adding 83 million people to the planet each year could have an impact? :D

And heaven forbid we actually die from anything, oh no, all death MUST be eradicated. 

Personally don't eat pig anymore because they're as smart as dogs and I don't hold with keeping them penned up so they can't turn around. Still love a good cow steak as a treat. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Who would have thought that adding 83 million people to the planet each year could have an impact? :D

And heaven forbid we actually die from anything, oh no, all death MUST be eradicated. 

Personally don't eat pig anymore because they're as smart as dogs and I don't hold with keeping them penned up so they can't turn around. Still love a good cow steak as a treat.

Eradicating death is a good thing but it requires the basic responsibility to also remove what historically counterbalanced it, adding more people.

I've given up paying attention to any environmentalist, and will try my hardest to resist any pressure to be "green" that I wouldn't feel like doing anyway, unless it also goes along with at least an expression of desire to tackle the underlying cause. Others are making a mess and you're asking me to adjust my behaviour to accommodate your screw-ups that you've no interest in addressing yourself.

Ditto with other related issues caused by more people (which is why I annoy some people here by pouring hatred and scorn on people who want more building).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Eradicating death is a good thing

Why?

Death is natural. We are evolved animals, not gods. 

Quote

I've given up paying attention to any environmentalist, and will try my hardest to resist any pressure to be "green" that I wouldn't feel like doing anyway, unless it also goes along with at least an expression of desire to tackle the underlying cause. 

You're in the majority. If life is easier not caring, then people will choose not to care. No one likes being told what to do, especially if it inconveniences them in any way (and this definitely includes being told not to have so many children). 

4771180827_16b0ae884e_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2019 at 12:14, longgone said:

just had 3 rashers from the air fryer will i survive the day 

Why are you air-frying them? Makes no sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sledgehead said:

Why are you air-frying them? Makes no sense.

because it tastes far better soft bacon crispy fat can`t do that in a pan.  

have a go you will be converted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, longgone said:

because it tastes far better soft bacon crispy fat can`t do that in a pan.  

have a go you will be converted. 

Fine if it's just for taste / experience. Personally, I'll decline on the offer of nitrosamines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sledgehead said:

Fine if it's just for taste / experience. Personally, I'll decline on the offer of nitrosamines.

😄

i really don`t care about getting cancer, bacon maybe twice a week but do have ham quite often. 

could always boil the bacon first then air fry it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, longgone said:

😄

i really don`t care about getting cancer, bacon maybe twice a week but do have ham quite often. 

could always boil the bacon first then air fry it. 

I think you'll find the nasties are all the way thru ... still, your colon. Just don't expect me to change your bag ... or pay for a nurse to do it. The warnings have been there for ages, and as you say, you don't care, so I guess you will be happy w/ my position. 

No need to fall out, though it does concern me that, if we wer personal friends, I may well be faced with the scenario in the future of you wanting a stoma and all the costs involved and me being put in the morally dubious situ of denying the funding ... it's hard innit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

I think you'll find the nasties are all the way thru ... still, your colon. Just don't expect me to change your bag ... or pay for a nurse to do it. The warnings have been there for ages, and as you say, you don't care, so I guess you will be happy w/ my position. 

No

no guarantee of cancer  no one in my immediate family has died from cancer.

if it`s so bad why are they still selling the stuff.  just force a change in production.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

Why?

Death is natural. We are evolved animals, not gods. 

You're in the majority. If life is easier not caring, then people will choose not to care. No one likes being told what to do, especially if it inconveniences them in any way (and this definitely includes being told not to have so many children).

Dying of all sorts of diseases we no longer die from is natural too.

I care. I also care about things that get messed up in the name of "progress", which is why I take the "up yours" attitude to someone not interested in tackling cause as well as effect, because then it just turns in to which flavour of sh1t you'd prefer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, longgone said:

no guarantee of cancer  no one in my immediate family has died from cancer.

if it`s so bad why are they still selling the stuff.  just force a change in production.  

Even slight possibilities get people worked up these days. Easy to hear about the unlucky ones, and with many millions of people even the phenomenally unlucky will happen regularly. Doesn't change how likely it is to happen to you. If it's a one in a million chance of getting cancer it's paranoid to be concerned about it, even though there are enough people who will get it to keep a few specialists busy. If it's 50 / 50 then you've got a genuine cause for concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Even slight possibilities get people worked up these days. Easy to hear about the unlucky ones, and with many millions of people even the phenomenally unlucky will happen regularly. Doesn't change how likely it is to happen to you. If it's a one in a million chance of getting cancer it's paranoid to be concerned about it, even though there are enough people who will get it to keep a few specialists busy. If it's 50 / 50 then you've got a genuine cause for concern.

indeed and never a mention about the high stress low pay work environments that i would imagine pose a far greater risk to health than a bacon sarnie. 

mental health issues through the roof but lets worry about bacon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, longgone said:

 

if it`s so bad why are they still selling the stuff.  just force a change in production.  

What, like cigarettes?

And don't be fooled by changes in production. "Nitrite free" bacon is nothing of the sort. They just use nitrates from celery - look guv, it's natrul, can't be bad cannit?

As a chemist I have to say I have never found a compound that knew where it came from. People seem to have forgotten chemistry 101: 1 mole of sodium nitrate is one mole of sodium nitrate. No special atomic tagging. 'Spose it''s the digital revolution that has peeps thinking everything can be marked with identifiers.

Moreover, what do you suppose you are tasting w/ bacon? Pig? Hardly. It's the complex chemicals produced by bacteria that can uniquely survive the nitrate curing procedure. If you wan't that you pretty much want the nitrate. that or a mass of artificial flavouring interventions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, longgone said:

indeed and never a mention about the high stress low pay work environments that i would imagine pose a far greater risk to health than a bacon sarnie. 

mental health issues through the roof but lets worry about bacon

It may surprise you to know that there is no research linking stress directly to cancer.

The link is thru ... drum roll ...

comfort eating. comfort drinking. comfort drugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

I agree, but the BBC were suggesting otherwise.

The real problem is too many people living too long.

In general I agree, but Casey Webb has a lot to answer for!

 

If you want to be mind-boggled, try interleaving Man vs Food and footage from when Masterchef visit some 62,000-Michelin-Star-rated restaurant.

Shovel! tweezers Shovel! tweezers Shovel! tweezers ....

It's unfathomable how two English-speaking, developed economies could develop such diametrically opposed views on food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I let my taste buds decide what I eat, if I don't like it I don't eat it and vice versa.

With meat, much of the flavour is in the fat so I avoid overly lean meat.

Does nitrite free bacon taste better? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing is, the way our population is increasing and getting fatter and sicker at the same time - the NHS just won't survive. We've socialised the negative effects of Big Food/Big Alcohol/Big Tobacco, while they take the money and convince us it's our free will. 

Remember the mums at the school gates handing their kids bags of chips when the school banned them? As a nation we love to do the opposite of what we're supposed to - you know, like when people hang bags of dog mess in trees because that way they get to 'stick it to the man.' /s

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 294 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.