Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Recommended Posts

Today is the day Dr Carney earns his huge tax payers lump gestured to him...

 

If Sterling tanks he better know what's up hey.. 

 

Interesting times ahead....Will he support everything valued locally in pounds. Or will he let our currency slip. We all become globally poorer...

 

Odd times. A Canadian holding the purse strings of the UK...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the choice between letting the currency tank or letting assets ie house prices collapse,  it's likely the establishment  will do both. 

The great mistake this website made was to see deflation of asset prices only as the cure when in fact the establishment always opted for inflation only. 

They will want to co- ordinate asset price reductions with the rest of the world if they can so they can blame it all on foreigners.  

Another lehmann style event would do nicely. Bny Mellon?  Deutsche bank?  Who are the most likely american banks to fail? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol at Carney doing anything to support the pound the next rate movement is probably down, and probably more QE. They have made it obvious they will throw the kitchen sink at keeping asset prices high like last time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Panda said:

Today is the day Dr Carney earns his huge tax payers lump gestured to him...

If Sterling tanks he better know what's up hey.. 

Why would Sterling tank today though?  A vote everyone was sure would be lost has been lost - totally expected and priced in.

It only tanked after the referendum because EVERYONE*though Remain would walk it, including all the opinion polls and those trading in the markets.

 

(*well, not EVERYONE - a doorstep campaigner I know felt it would be a shoo-in for Leave - but the vast majority)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Why would Sterling tank today though?  A vote everyone was sure would be lost has been lost - totally expected and priced in.

It only tanked after the referendum because EVERYONE*though Remain would walk it, including all the opinion polls and those trading in the markets.

 

(*well, not EVERYONE - a doorstep campaigner I know felt it would be a shoo-in for Leave - but the vast majority)

The polls are about as clued up as the government is in thinking what the public wants.

My gut feeling is generally right. I should have done a double on trump getting in and leave winning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 24gray24 said:

The great mistake this website made

This again. 

Websites don’t make mistakes and they don’t have opinions. 

The people posting here have different opinions.

There were long heated arguments about whether inflation or deflation would win out.  That’s why there’s a pinned gold thread.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scottbeard said:

Why would Sterling tank today though?  A vote everyone was sure would be lost has been lost - totally expected and priced in.

It only tanked after the referendum because EVERYONE*though Remain would walk it, including all the opinion polls and those trading in the markets.

 

(*well, not EVERYONE - a doorstep campaigner I know felt it would be a shoo-in for Leave - but the vast majority)

Your recollection is flawed, the polls were showing it as too close to call.

People gave weight to the betting odds which were heavily in favour of Remain because much more money was being staked on Remain. Ignoring the fact that nearly twice as many people were placing bets on leave.

On the basis that you only get one vote no matter how rich you are, I put my bet on Leave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, longgone said:

The polls are about as clued up as the government is in thinking what the public wants.

My gut feeling is generally right. I should have done a double on trump getting in and leave winning.

The polls for the US election were almost spot on.

On the day of the vote the poll of polls gave Clinton a lead of 1.8%, the actual outcome was she won the popular vote by 2%.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Your recollection is flawed, the polls were showing it as too close to call.

Gosh, I just checked back and you're right.

I guess my circle of friends and colleagues is about 90% "Remainers" so perhaps I just recall our expectations instead of the real opinion polls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

GBP holding up because markets believe a delay in Brexit is now the mostly likely scenario.

More uncertainty though, wouldn't have thought they'd like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Inflation fell to 2.1% in December, according to the Office for National Statistics.

That's the lowest level in almost two years.

“Inflation eased mainly due to a big fall in petrol, with oil prices tumbling in recent months. Air fares also helped push down the rate, with seasonal prices rising less than they did last year.

"These were partially offset by small rises in hotel prices and mobile phone charges," said Mike Hardie from the ONS.

no need to raise rates any time soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Panda said:

Odd times. A Canadian holding the purse strings of the UK...

He's dual citizenship now (grandparents from County Mayo). Not sure how being Canadian (I know many fine Canadians) has any impact on his skills or lack thereof. Perhaps we should ask for Baron King of Lothbury to come back :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Alex Brazier, a Bank of England official sitting along side Mark Carney at the Treasury committee, has been talking about the UK's current account deficit.

He said this has been finance by capital flows from abroad, with 60% over the last year accounted for people by people buying UK property and buying company's leverage loans.

"Those have financed the fact that the UK is spending more than it earns."

For that to continue foreign investors need to keep buying corporate debt and commercial property, he said.

This was looked at in the stress test but the Bank of England did not try to conclude what might change investor appetite.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

He's dual citizenship now (grandparents from County Mayo). Not sure how being Canadian (I know many fine Canadians) has any impact on his skills or lack thereof. Perhaps we should ask for Baron King of Lothbury to come back :D

He's Canadian not British. So in essence why care about British people when he can just go home at a wim.

His allegiance would not be to the UK, I just don't understand why have a non British born in such an influential position.

 

Having also worked for the GS as well. Just does not add up. Meddles in our politics far too much.

Something doesn't add up....Then again look at the mess he left Canada in. Maybe he's just crap at his job...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Panda said:

He's Canadian not British. So in essence why care about British people when he can just go home at a wim.

His allegiance would not be to the UK, I just don't understand why have a non British born in such an influential position.

 

Having also worked for the GS as well. Just does not add up. Meddles in our politics far too much.

Something doesn't add up....Then again look at the mess he left Canada in. Maybe he's just crap at his job...

Well our ancient arch-enemy Canada is well known for embedding disruptive spies in high up UK positions. And it's very rare that a high-ranking white male is given multiple chances in life to run things badly. Occam's razor would suggest he is in fact some sort of inter-dimensional alien. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Panda said:

He's Canadian not British. So in essence why care about British people when he can just go home at a wim.

His allegiance would not be to the UK, I just don't understand why have a non British born in such an influential position.

 

Having also worked for the GS as well. Just does not add up. Meddles in our politics far too much.

Something doesn't add up....Then again look at the mess he left Canada in. Maybe he's just crap at his job...

its a world renowned job, why should be only for british?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

you do have issues with the Polish

No, I think they are brilliant, no issues with me and Polish, and Czechs for that matter, good workers, respectful  and law abiding , why would you say that?

Edited by localhero1983

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, localhero1983 said:

No, I think they are brilliant, no issues with me and Polish, and Czechs for that matter, good workers, respectful  and law abiding , why would you say that?

you seem to want them to leave. I have seen a couple of posts from you on this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, hurlerontheditch said:

its a world renowned job, why should be only for british?

>why should Britain's future be decided by British people?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 293 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.