House Price Crash Forum

Today is the day Dr Carney earns his huge tax payers lump gestured to him...

If Sterling tanks he better know what's up hey.. 

Interesting times ahead....Will he support everything valued locally in pounds. Or will he let our currency slip. We all become globally poorer...

Odd times. A Canadian holding the purse strings of the UK...

Given the choice between letting the currency tank or letting assets ie house prices collapse,  it's likely the establishment  will do both. 

The great mistake this website made was to see deflation of asset prices only as the cure when in fact the establishment always opted for inflation only. 

They will want to co- ordinate asset price reductions with the rest of the world if they can so they can blame it all on foreigners.  

Another lehmann style event would do nicely. Bny Mellon?  Deutsche bank?  Who are the most likely american banks to fail? 

Lol at Carney doing anything to support the pound the next rate movement is probably down, and probably more QE. They have made it obvious they will throw the kitchen sink at keeping asset prices high like last time.

6 hours ago, Panda said:

Today is the day Dr Carney earns his huge tax payers lump gestured to him...

If Sterling tanks he better know what's up hey.. 

Why would Sterling tank today though?  A vote everyone was sure would be lost has been lost - totally expected and priced in.

It only tanked after the referendum because EVERYONE*though Remain would walk it, including all the opinion polls and those trading in the markets.

(*well, not EVERYONE - a doorstep campaigner I know felt it would be a shoo-in for Leave - but the vast majority)

23 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Why would Sterling tank today though?  A vote everyone was sure would be lost has been lost - totally expected and priced in.

It only tanked after the referendum because EVERYONE*though Remain would walk it, including all the opinion polls and those trading in the markets.

(*well, not EVERYONE - a doorstep campaigner I know felt it would be a shoo-in for Leave - but the vast majority)

The polls are about as clued up as the government is in thinking what the public wants.

My gut feeling is generally right. I should have done a double on trump getting in and leave winning.

2 hours ago, 24gray24 said:

The great mistake this website made

This again. 

Websites don’t make mistakes and they don’t have opinions. 

The people posting here have different opinions.

There were long heated arguments about whether inflation or deflation would win out.  That’s why there’s a pinned gold thread.

1 hour ago, scottbeard said:

Your recollection is flawed, the polls were showing it as too close to call.

People gave weight to the betting odds which were heavily in favour of Remain because much more money was being staked on Remain. Ignoring the fact that nearly twice as many people were placing bets on leave.

On the basis that you only get one vote no matter how rich you are, I put my bet on Leave.

1 hour ago, longgone said:

The polls are about as clued up as the government is in thinking what the public wants.

My gut feeling is generally right. I should have done a double on trump getting in and leave winning.

The polls for the US election were almost spot on.

On the day of the vote the poll of polls gave Clinton a lead of 1.8%, the actual outcome was she won the popular vote by 2%.

7 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Your recollection is flawed, the polls were showing it as too close to call.

Gosh, I just checked back and you're right.

I guess my circle of friends and colleagues is about 90% "Remainers" so perhaps I just recall our expectations instead of the real opinion polls. 

45 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

GBP holding up because markets believe a delay in Brexit is now the mostly likely scenario.

More uncertainty though, wouldn't have thought they'd like that.

Inflation fell to 2.1% in December, according to the Office for National Statistics.

That's the lowest level in almost two years.

“Inflation eased mainly due to a big fall in petrol, with oil prices tumbling in recent months. Air fares also helped push down the rate, with seasonal prices rising less than they did last year.

"These were partially offset by small rises in hotel prices and mobile phone charges," said Mike Hardie from the ONS.

no need to raise rates any time soon

8 hours ago, Panda said:

Odd times. A Canadian holding the purse strings of the UK...

He's dual citizenship now (grandparents from County Mayo). Not sure how being Canadian (I know many fine Canadians) has any impact on his skills or lack thereof. Perhaps we should ask for Baron King of Lothbury to come back :D

Alex Brazier, a Bank of England official sitting along side Mark Carney at the Treasury committee, has been talking about the UK's current account deficit.

He said this has been finance by capital flows from abroad, with 60% over the last year accounted for people by people buying UK property and buying company's leverage loans.

"Those have financed the fact that the UK is spending more than it earns."

For that to continue foreign investors need to keep buying corporate debt and commercial property, he said.

This was looked at in the stress test but the Bank of England did not try to conclude what might change investor appetite.

4 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

He's dual citizenship now (grandparents from County Mayo). Not sure how being Canadian (I know many fine Canadians) has any impact on his skills or lack thereof. Perhaps we should ask for Baron King of Lothbury to come back :D

He's Canadian not British. So in essence why care about British people when he can just go home at a wim.

His allegiance would not be to the UK, I just don't understand why have a non British born in such an influential position.

Having also worked for the GS as well. Just does not add up. Meddles in our politics far too much.

Something doesn't add up....Then again look at the mess he left Canada in. Maybe he's just crap at his job...

1 minute ago, Panda said:

He's Canadian not British. So in essence why care about British people when he can just go home at a wim.

His allegiance would not be to the UK, I just don't understand why have a non British born in such an influential position.

Having also worked for the GS as well. Just does not add up. Meddles in our politics far too much.

Something doesn't add up....Then again look at the mess he left Canada in. Maybe he's just crap at his job...

Well our ancient arch-enemy Canada is well known for embedding disruptive spies in high up UK positions. And it's very rare that a high-ranking white male is given multiple chances in life to run things badly. Occam's razor would suggest he is in fact some sort of inter-dimensional alien. ;)

27 minutes ago, Panda said:

its a world renowned job, why should be only for british?

8 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

you do have issues with the Polish

No, I think they are brilliant, no issues with me and Polish, and Czechs for that matter, good workers, respectful  and law abiding , why would you say that?

Edited by localhero1983

5 minutes ago, localhero1983 said:

No, I think they are brilliant, no issues with me and Polish, and Czechs for that matter, good workers, respectful  and law abiding , why would you say that?

you seem to want them to leave. I have seen a couple of posts from you on this

16 hours ago, hurlerontheditch said:

its a world renowned job, why should be only for british?

>why should Britain's future be decided by British people?