House Price Crash Forum

I'm not entirely sure I understand life

user not found

HOLA441
On 08/02/2019 at 05:22, MarkG said:

Governments take large amounts of money from high-IQ workers who then can't afford to have kids, to give to low-IQ women to have lots of low-IQ kids. If you don't understand why that's an enormous problem, you're probably one of those low-IQ kids.

High IQ people also have low IQ kids......not all high IQ people work in high paying jobs (they may choose to earn less  to give the extra time to their partner and children) or they prefer out of choice not to have the higher stress of a well paid job that is buying both them and their time (the best most productive time of their life)......anyway there are different types of intelligence....for example some people of certain high intelligence have low emotional intelligence, then you have the highly creative people, that create creative children.....high IQ people may have fewer children because they have very high values and expectations, therefore find it harder to find a partner that fits their very high standards to have (high IQ?)children with.....some with high intelligence use that intelligence in a negative way that is not positive or beneficial to others or society......so passing a high IQ test is not always good, a lower IQ score is not always bad.?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 08:48, longgone said:

Most men are the same. I am far worse than that though try getting zero pleasure from anything but continue to force your way through life knowing that it adds up to fluckall in the end anyway.

Society dictates we must be continually striving and being better or richer than the year before or own more stuff for achievement. 

Personally I would like a home paid off and a low stress job or business to keep me occupied till I kick the bucket. This seems an impossible task though can't have either unless high stress involved. Neither will give me pleasure but you know you need them to survive and survive for what exactly to continue the same pointless cycle.

Ever considered motivational speaking?

HOLA443
9 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

Ever considered motivational speaking?

surely you need to be "life positive" motivated ?  i guess it depends what you find as life positive though.  Horses for courses springs to mind.

If honesty and dissecting and picking things apart could be turned to motivational speaking i would excel. ?

HOLA444
HOLA445
On 08/02/2019 at 05:22, MarkG said:

Governments take large amounts of money from high-IQ workers who then can't afford to have kids, to give to low-IQ women to have lots of low-IQ kids. If you don't understand why that's an enormous problem, you're probably one of those low-IQ kids.

Make exams really easy and all kids get A grades. Sorted.

HOLA446
On 20/02/2019 at 19:07, Jolly Roger said:

Have you considered Schizoid Personality Disorder?

Doesn't that require indifference? He says he "struggles".

Struggle:

Rock2.jpg

Indifference:

ac_whatever_comp.png?quality=90&strip=al

If you can't tell the difference you are probably more likely suffering from SPD than the OP.

HOLA447
On 09/02/2019 at 06:30, winkie said:

High IQ people also have low IQ kids......not all high IQ people work in high paying jobs (they may choose to earn less  to give the extra time to their partner and children) or they prefer out of choice not to have the higher stress of a well paid job that is buying both them and their time (the best most productive time of their life)......anyway there are different types of intelligence....for example some people of certain high intelligence have low emotional intelligence, then you have the highly creative people, that create creative children.....high IQ people may have fewer children because they have very high values and expectations, therefore find it harder to find a partner that fits their very high standards to have (high IQ?)children with.....some with high intelligence use that intelligence in a negative way that is not positive or beneficial to others or society......so passing a high IQ test is not always good, a lower IQ score is not always bad.?

Regression to the mean. First described by Francis Galton.

HOLA448
HOLA449
On 09/02/2019 at 06:30, winkie said:

.anyway there are different types of intelligence....for example some people of certain high intelligence have low emotional intelligence,

Nope. That's always struck me as a PC-like attempt at saying "we're all intelligent really, just different." The definition of intelligence is narrower than that, I think I'd have to define it as something like logical problem solving ability. It's just one of several different useful skills to have but I don't regard it as helpful to try to equate them all by using the same label, taken from just one of them.

HOLA4410

One thing about not understanding life that annoys me - is the elaborate dances people do to achieve pretty mundane things which could be done so much more efficiently. But instead, people fall back on social pressures and experience rather than thinking ahead.

This can include refusing to acknowledge good practices and processes in work, utterly c0cking things up and working all weekend to fix it and getting a pat on the back for it because you're a hard worker.

In home life my inlaws who I love very much - have these elaborate rituals they go thru washing dishes after a big family meal, say, certain things get washed in the dishwasher and certain things don't, and they get put in different places, and I can't seem to get it right nor do I add any efficiency to the proceedings from trying so I gave up. Apparently, they're really p1ssed off with me for this. I used the express setting on the dishwasher to get some lightly soiled dishes out of the way. So they opened the dishwasher halfway through and took the dishes out and washed them by hand saying it would take a few hours. I said no look I used the express setting it won't. Oh we didn't know about that now we've had to wash them by hand look at all the work you've created for us.

No I didn't create all the work for you, it's a subconscious-motivated social dance used to test if I conform to my MIL's matriarchal hierarchy.

I tried to put google hangouts on their iPad so my little girl could video-call grandma from her little android tablet just for fun. MIL looked at me genuinely quizzically, said she didn't want to have a google account and couldn't we just get an ipad as that's the idea?

Seriously they just think I'm an idiot because I don't conform. Society is just so much about control it's untrue.

HOLA4411
8 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Nope. That's always struck me as a PC-like attempt at saying "we're all intelligent really, just different." The definition of intelligence is narrower than that, I think I'd have to define it as something like logical problem solving ability. It's just one of several different useful skills to have but I don't regard it as helpful to try to equate them all by using the same label, taken from just one of them.

......what I mean is there are people that are clever solving problems, great IT engineers, great memories, pass tests easily......but they find it very hard to understand people, get on with people, have a sense of humour, can read body language or faces etc.;)

HOLA4412
On 21/01/2019 at 10:18, Riedquat said:

Fair point, I've got a catflap so she can get out, and I think keeping cats indoors all the time is cruel (that's why I didn't get one until I moved to somewhere where the risk of getting run over is minimal

I think the opposite, it's cruel to allow domestic cats outside - they may have remnants of a hunting instinct but they lack the common sense to cope with traffic, not to mention the death rate to all the surreounding birds and wildlife.

"Cats who are kept indoors can reach the ripe old age of 17 or more years, whereas outdoor cats live an average of just two to five years."

https://pets.webmd.com/cats/features/should-you-have-an-indoor-cat-or-an-outdoor-cat

HOLA4413

As I pointed out I live somewhere where the risk of getting run over is minimal, and wouldn't have got a cat if that wasn't the case. That link is American I notice, where there is often probably a much bigger risk to them from predators. And don't they vaccinate them there?

The impact on wildlife from cats is something that seems to get buried in spin - I've seen absolute numbers estimated but not what actual effect that has on overall wildlife mortality. Also consider how many natural predators we've got rid of anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4414
On 25/02/2019 at 16:11, Si1 said:

This can include refusing to acknowledge good practices and processes in work, utterly c0cking things up and working all weekend to fix it and getting a pat on the back for it because you're a hard worker.

Ha, I've seen this. Overconfident middle manager comes onto a project at a fairly early stage, ignoring all advice from those already on the job to just follow the obvious and simple route they make a catastrophic decision to do something much more risky and complicated which creates a massive amount of additional work, a couple of years later when things are finally mostly sorted out (but still with an objectively worse outcome than if they'd just listened to advice) they are being praised by senior managers who have no clue about the technical detail for doing such a great job delivering a difficult project.

HOLA4415
On 25/02/2019 at 18:49, Habeas Domus said:

I think the opposite, it's cruel to allow domestic cats outside - they may have remnants of a hunting instinct but they lack the common sense to cope with traffic, not to mention the death rate to all the surreounding birds and wildlife.

"Cats who are kept indoors can reach the ripe old age of 17 or more years, whereas outdoor cats live an average of just two to five years."

https://pets.webmd.com/cats/features/should-you-have-an-indoor-cat-or-an-outdoor-cat

Outdoor cats live 2-5 years, yeah right. Of the 5 outdoor cats we and my parents have had all but one made it past 15 and the one who didn't died of cancer aged 9 which is apparently the age cancer rates start to rise in cats (a bit like late 40s in humans).

HOLA4416

Made me think about the building with two doors.....one door had a key, one bolt and a padlock to open and lock every day with a secondary door with two large slide bolts.....the other door round the side that was not often used had one yale lock......nobody thinks of the wasted time and motion undertaking actions that are noneffective.....people, always doing what have always done.;)

HOLA4417

Returning to my OP... I think my frequent and all pervading lack of pleasure in life stems from my soul destroying and sometimes stressful job. The pay is ok (£45k) which helps but every day is a grind. I work for the council but feel the life sucked out of me daily. Frequent changes in priority, directors uninterested in our pointless project but we're told by the chief exec to continue. Next week he'll change his mind. I wake up most nights at 2am dreading going to work. I barely enjoy weekends because I'm dreading Monday. Every year our dept is reduced in size. My skillset is getting watered down: each time a project is canned I have nothing to show for it results wise. I'm 41... Scared this is it for life! I need to find a positive outlook on my skills and ability in order to get a new job... But my current one is just destroying me. 

Archived