Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
jiltedjen

Smart meters - HPC hive mind

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, TopBanana101 said:

All come from the same grid is my point.  Jiltedjen asked why would the government be pushing this and it isn't limited to only domestic consumption.  We need to take this up a level if you want to find the answer. 

Probably to do with anticipation of load and allocation and nature of resources?

There are lots of advantages from an energy conservation / management point of view, but I'm loathe to get into a discussion about whether smart meters are of any use other than allowing the government to snoop on us. Too many closed minds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Probably to do with anticipation of load and allocation and nature of resources?

There are lots of advantages from an energy conservation / management point of view, but I'm loathe to get into a discussion about whether smart meters are of any use other than allowing the government to snoop on us. Too many closed minds.

Spot on.

The truth is the power generation we have should be enough and they won't build any more.  Why should they?  We just all (Domestic and industry) need encouraging to use what we have a little better rather than thinking it's a tap we can just turn on whenever we need it.  Smart meters are just here to build a picture to plan the next 5 to 10 years.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Probably to do with anticipation of load and allocation and nature of resources?

There are lots of advantages from an energy conservation / management point of view, but I'm loathe to get into a discussion about whether smart meters are of any use other than allowing the government to snoop on us. Too many closed minds.

"Too many closed minds" is a cop-out. If you don't want to discuss it don't bring it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to guess the purpose of smart meters, I'd say the price of heating houses is going to multiply by several fold at some point, and people are going to need to micro analyse their usage. Didn't it double overnight in 2009? 

When the racket in housing costs ends, they'll need to move from hoovering up all the disposable income from housing to one of the other essentials. Heating, health care, old age, transport. Food. Education. 

The only constant is hoovering up 100%; doesn't matter much which is the vehicle. Any of life's essentials will do. Florence had a tax on air. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 24gray24 said:

If I had to guess the purpose of smart meters, I'd say the price of heating houses is going to multiply by several fold at some point, and people are going to need to micro analyse their usage. Didn't it double overnight in 2009? 

When the racket in housing costs ends, they'll need to move from hoovering up all the disposable income from housing to one of the other essentials. Heating, health care, old age, transport. Food. Education. 

The only constant is hoovering up 100%; doesn't matter much which is the vehicle. Any of life's essentials will do. Florence had a tax on air. 

Good post imho.

Wouldn'tsurprise me, you're right it's what "these people" do. Last year was stated on news that electricity price in Denmark is UK X5, maybe they have spotted that. 

I recall our electric bills rising by half post 2009. Interestingly we also had a new meter then so I can't say what the real increase was because of my experience with meters.  On two previous occasions down the years the bills, gas (once) and electric (once) rose noticeably after meters were changed so I have to think the old meters had been under recording.

One advantage with the new stuff might be if it's totally accurate or will be quickly obvious if it isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.smartenergygb.org/en/about-smart-meters

Are smart meters compulsory?
Smart meters are not compulsory; it's entirely your choice. The government requires energy suppliers to offer smart meters to all homes and small businesses across Great Britain by 2020, but whether you accept them is completely up to you. More than four in five people who have a smart meter say they would recommend one.
Edited by Bruce Banner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

from that site:

Quote

Can I get a smart meter for free?

There is no extra cost for a smart meter or for the in-home display.

That's disingenuous to say the least.

Does the in-home display need batteries? Yes. Who has to stump up for the batteries? YOU DO!

I would need either of these:

  • it plugs into the mains, and its running cost is subtracted from the electricity used
  • it comes with a lifetime's supply of batteries, supplied for free by the company

... or they can forget it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mrtickle said:

from that site:

That's disingenuous to say the least.

Does the in-home display need batteries? Yes. Who has to stump up for the batteries? YOU DO!

I would need either of these:

  • it plugs into the mains, and its running cost is subtracted from the electricity used
  • it comes with a lifetime's supply of batteries, supplied for free by the company

... or they can forget it.

 

Mine doesn't need batteries and probably costs less than £1 a year to run, if plugged in 24/7, so I'm not too bothered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:09, btd1981 said:

Moved into a house with one already fitted. Got to admit, hourly, daily, weekly usage histograms are interesting to look at but I am also deeply sceptical of the tech...the internet of sht is asking for trouble due to all manner of exploits in my opinion.

 

Can they be removed?

Not sure, but I believe that some people will use some form of metal screening (or other) around the meter to prevent it transmitting a signal,  so it becomes a conventional meter and they submit monthly meter readings manually as before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Mine doesn't need batteries and probably costs less than £1 a year to run, if plugged in 24/7, so I'm not too bothered.

Yes, we've already established that you are happy with it :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2019 at 10:06, Bruce Banner said:

What is disappointing is the gas meter only updating every half hour, not every 30 seconds like the electricity meter as it would be really useful to compare, in real time, the cost of heating using my reverse cycle aircon and the gas central heating. 

It's because they run on a battery whilst the electricity meter can obviously get mains. We got one but it now reverted to a "dumb" meter since we switched suppliers (yes, you can still switch suppliers with a smart meter). We still have the gadget that the original supplier gave us showing daily use etc which is pretty handy actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thread. I have a 'smart meter' from Ovo and was really surprised how low-tech it is. The graphics look like something developed on a Sinclair back in the 1980s.

I don't see anything wrong with monitoring usage, but it's hard to separate data from various appliances and you can't export data from the meter into any other package or spreadsheet that would do a far better job of graphing, modelling or even basic record keeping.

What's really dumb. I pay and go by meter. But if I want to pay online, the wireless display can't show me units remaining, only the old box in the cupboard can do that, by torchlight. Since units remaining is the most important info you need on pay and go, I'm still going over to the Co-op to buy electric as in the old days. 

Actually, my biggest beef with energy companies is that you have to switch every couple of years, as with TV contracts, car insurance or almost anything else these days. The only way to avoid really large price hikes.

Anyway, not impressed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   295 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.