Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monkey

Brexit and House Price discussion in the office

Recommended Posts

Warning rant/

One of the know it alls has started spouting about Brexit and disastrous its going to be blah blah (parroting what ever paper he read that morning) saying that he will be in for ever negative equity because of. Everyone seeemed to agree with him

Normally i let him have his 5 mins and forget about it.

He bought a new house last August, maxed out his mortgage ability to do so. 

I chimed in this time "Its funny how people  have forgotten about the "Emergency" IRs, the lack of reposessions, the QE etc thats happened to not only keep people in houses they cant afford but inflate the prices even higher. Years before the Brexit vote" 

He didnt like that answer as the papers haven't given him a retort to it. 

Heard him an hour later saying what he said earlier to some people who didnt hear him before.

 

/rant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't seem to get discussed in the office here that much (it seems like they shy away from anything confrontational that winds me up :) ) but when it does come up it's certainly not a vast majority on one side, at least within the group I work in (technical people).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ones I have spoken to about it wish there had never been a referendum in the first place......so many more important issues that require urgent attention been put on hold......this has not brought the country together it is driving it apart.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Monkey said:

One of the know it alls has started spouting about Brexit and disastrous its going to be blah blah (parroting what ever paper he read that morning) saying that he will be in for ever negative equity because of. Everyone seeemed to agree with him

He didnt like that answer as the papers haven't given him a retort to it. 

 

The very serious problem now, is that since the Daily Mail has been taken over by Remainers, there are now almost no media sources giving the other side of the argument. Another Establishment Remainer stitch up. They don't believe in a clean fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, onlooker said:

The very serious problem now, is that since the Daily Mail has been taken over by Remainers, there are now almost no media sources giving the other side of the argument. Another Establishment Remainer stitch up. They don't believe in a clean fight.

Wtf.... hilarious

For how many years did the Daily Mail, Express, Telegraph, Sun and probably others, stoke the xenophobic fires to get people blaming the foreigners for imagined problems or real problems that were actually ours to own?

Now that all the lies over 40 years worked, you're complaining that one of the papers is not completely partisan propaganda anymore?

You know blaming foreigners is nothing new right? Nationalism rises and falls in cycles, over an over again, and it's always as stupid as the last time. Every day I'm astounded by the ability of humans to repeat the same mistakes over and over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Monkey said:

Warning rant/

One of the know it alls has started spouting about Brexit and disastrous its going to be blah blah (parroting what ever paper he read that morning) saying that he will be in for ever negative equity because of. Everyone seeemed to agree with him

Normally i let him have his 5 mins and forget about it.

He bought a new house last August, maxed out his mortgage ability to do so. 

I chimed in this time "Its funny how people  have forgotten about the "Emergency" IRs, the lack of reposessions, the QE etc thats happened to not only keep people in houses they cant afford but inflate the prices even higher. Years before the Brexit vote" 

He didnt like that answer as the papers haven't given him a retort to it. 

Heard him an hour later saying what he said earlier to some people who didnt hear him before.

 

/rant

People like that guy in your office are idiots and harmful to the remain cause. It's a shame many people probably think like him.

But don't think the leave cause has your back on this either. 

The real cause of high house prices isn't the EU, because it is a global phenomenon. The real cause is the cost of credit. Anyone thinking that brexit is going to wipe off several decades of downtrend in credit price reductions is deluded. We're not going back up to high interest rates (unless we really do completely destroy our economy and I don't believe that). If brexit causes a mild recession, which is possible but not certain, then I'd expect a cut in interest rates and more QE. The people in power never learned any lessons from the last time so they see no reason to not apply the same again. Moral hazard in action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I've noticed is that Brexit is a very popular subject amongst those with an interest in house prices, especially those here.

This strikes me as entirely predictable. Like a house price crash, Brexit should be allowed to happen*, yet will be resisted by all meaans possible by TPTB.

The only real question is what the consequences might be: "Brexit: what happens next-next" if you like.

Renters / the homeless see themselves as marginalised. But they don't constitute 52% of the population (yet). Neither do they have a 3 million-strong hardcore who previously felt so disenfranchised they never bothered to vote. Neither did they have would-be leaders / trouble-makers like Farage / Robinson already embedded in society.

----------------------------------

* - at least to counter the issues mentioned following the "*"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 295 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.