House Price Crash Forum
mrtickle

Heads up - new series of "Wanted Down Under" on BBC1 weekdays

Each day at 11am, started on Thurs 2nd Jan.

At ~30 minutes into the programme is the bit where they say "they'll need to sell their house in the UK. They think it's worth X. We sent two EAs around..." and then you get to watch their faces and reactions when the EA gives the real valuation.

This is more significant as these are now brand new episodes with presumably 2018 valuations and 2018 "not giving it away" couples' ideas as to what they think their houses are worth.

According to Sky's data there will be 40 episodes. I might gather stats if I can remember.

Edited by mrtickle

I'm sure we have many more of them.

ps They still use pen and paper (on what is clearly a print-out from a spreadsheet) to do their "will we be better off" calculations. Ludicrous.

Hehe.

Don't be under any illusions that I watch the whole programme! I just zip to the EA bit with my PVR :)

Edited by mrtickle

18 minutes ago, Steppenpig said:

I never understand how they get visas. they always seem to have the same unproductive sounding non jobs as the rest of the population.

Good point. I know someone works in AU on about 100k gbp pa equivalent and it’s not a quick easy process. Can’t be any easier for an unproductive hpi pleb.

Edited by Arpeggio

1 hour ago, nothernsoul said:

Are property tv shows a peculiarly british thing, or do other countries have them? 

If you go to Kirsty and Phil's love it or list it thread, I asked whether Teutonic TV audiences wasted their lives away on this nonsense and Society of Fools replied. Seemingly they don't, at least not in that neck of the woods.

I have a suspicion that this is mainly an Anglo Saxon thing, not least because English speaking nations tend to have the more bogus economies - is that in any way a fair generalisation? Even the USA seems to have the disease quite badly.

Oz check, Canadia check, NZ check. RSA? Maybe K & P could take a trip down to Soweto and see how their market is getting along.  

2 hours ago, nothernsoul said:

Are property tv shows a peculiarly british thing, or do other countries have them? 

They have sh!tloads in Australia - probably more than we do. And just as asinine.

1 hour ago, Bluestone59 said:

If you go to Kirsty and Phil's love it or list it thread, I asked whether Teutonic TV audiences wasted their lives away on this nonsense and Society of Fools replied. Seemingly they don't, at least not in that neck of the woods.

There's probably half a dozen on mainstream German TV but probably only one progamme every day compared to about a dozen on UK TV if you count all the repeats and multiple episodes on freeview.

edit for examples

https://www.fernsehserien.de/zuhause-im-glueck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b6fg6Cmal8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZnqCghhUaY

Edited by Steppenpig

Although all of these property/lifestyle type tv shows are entirely contrived and fictional I must admit this is the only one where the participants regularly seem to get disappointing valuations for their own pwopatee. 

(Not that I religiously watch this or any other property show)

OZ doesnto generate many well paying family friendly jobs.

Only a couple of sectors in the OZ economy - digging stuff up to sell to China. And dodgy financial services, which appear to have wings clipped by the current investiogation.

Not going to have much family time driving a big truck inthe middle of the outback. Or sat in jail on mis-selling charges.

5 hours ago, nome said:

Although all of these property/lifestyle type tv shows are entirely contrived and fictional I must admit this is the only one where the participants regularly seem to get disappointing valuations for their own pwopatee. 

What you see on TV is, of course, never 100% real...but that also doesn't make them "entirely fictional".  Unlike reality TV, they're not even contrived.

A relative of mine was actually asked to be on an episode of Escape to the Country, but as it turned out in the time between applying and the BBC responding she actually found a new house so never ended up being on the show.

Why does this programme still exist? Presumably there was a point in the 2000s when the UK:Oz house price and currency exchange rates meant a UK family could increase their material standard of living by selling up and emigrating but the numbers must have been against that for years now.

Pondering it a bit more, I wasn't thinking about the role of debt. I guess the ones who emigrate probably can increase their standard of living in the short term by selling the UK house and using the equity as a deposit to borrow as much as possible to get a bigger house in Australia/NZ than they live in in the UK. They could also do this while remaining in the UK, but by selling it to themselves as a chance of a lifetime, a fresh start, a new lifestyle etc it's easier to justify than leveraging up to buy a larger house in the same town in the UK.

On 05/01/2019 at 12:36, nothernsoul said:

I've seen them here, but only on cable, which is sinking fast as people switch to Netflix and other streaming services. I only see it when visiting friends who still pay for it.

On 06/01/2019 at 10:03, Dorkins said:

Why does this programme still exist? Presumably there was a point in the 2000s when the UK:Oz house price and currency exchange rates meant a UK family could increase their material standard of living by selling up and emigrating but the numbers must have been against that for years now.

I guess the weather in the UK at certain times of year makes people think "I wonder if Australia could be a good idea".

(Today is one of those times of year).

I haven't watched this for ages, but it often seemed to me that there were vague problems in the marriage, and they thought that if only it was nice and hot, they had a pool in the garden, and could have barbies 5 times a week, everything would be lovely.  

Cold hard reality often included not just the relative price of housing, but the higher cost of food and all sorts, not to mention stinking hot not being quite so lovely when you're working, and not sitting by a pool/on a beach all day. 

2 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

I haven't watched this for ages, but it often seemed to me that there were vague problems in the marriage, and they thought that if only it was nice and hot, they had a pool in the garden, and could have barbies 5 times a week, everything would be lovely.  

Or, as Peggy Mitchell once said when she was moving to Spain; "If you're going to be miserable, you might as well be miserable in a warm climate.".

2 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

Cold hard reality often included not just the relative price of housing, but the higher cost of food and all sorts, not to mention stinking hot not being quite so lovely when you're working, and not sitting by a pool/on a beach all day. 

I vaguely recall a recurring theme being the husband having a stressful long hours job in the UK and wanting to find a way to spend more quality time with the family (and I guess repair the marriage in the process).

I very much doubt that moving to Australia and taking on a jumbo mortgage is going to make that situation any better.

It's a shame really as the goal of having less stress and a happy family life is perfectly reasonable, but the economic system in both the UK and Australia is basically designed to keep the average person on the hamster wheel no matter what choices they make in life. Arrive on the other side of the planet and guess what? The rentiers are already there.

I watched first half of graham on catch up. Although his detached 4 bed in telford was valued at 275k his target 3 bed houses were priced at 350-480k. Bit of a nasty shock. Bubbletastic in perth. Raining too.

couple thought home was worth 350k  lowest valuation came in at 245k for a quick sale 😄

nice looking house actually though shame nothing down south is that kind of money