House Price Crash Forum

Nearing the end of my sanity..

16 minutes ago, longgone said:

we have already seen the past but no idea of the future.  fair play you are brave i would have run a long time ago if someone offered me 100k for nothing. 

you must be well healed to throw away 100k so easily. 

The difference is I believe we will see $100k+ bitcoin in 2021 or sooner and I don't need the money right now, and no one knows where the top is, until it's clear it was. Trust me when I can sell out 50%, pay my CGT bill and clear the mortgage that will be my "risk off" time when I know I will be looking a gift horse in the mouth! For me it's "Time if life", rode the HPI bubble from a £55k house in 1996 to a £500k+ house now, both the wife and I have above average jobs, one company car (this always helps). Well healed, no, but to many on here if you say you have a net family £5k+ pcm income and your mortgage payments are £1600 pcm on a fix not due to end until 2022, you are rich, by labour voter definitions. but I came from council housing and have no A levels or degrees to my name. Just a positive attitude.

The real term is comfortable with options. when you have the option to sell your village "forever house" and buy a 3 bed terraced in a local so so area, but with no mortgage due to your equity, it's easy to take risks on a £2k investment going to £100k in 4 years then £20k a year later, when you see it going to £500k+ in another 3 years. 

If £100k had have been a deposit on a house and out of renting and the hassles (I know rented lots in my life and from 2007-2009 when I STR.) then it would have been off the table, probably sooner. 

I say at least I had the balls to document the 2017 rise, and the 2018 fall, as they happened monthly or weekly, without ever moaning on the way down. What is , is. Shit happens.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, markyh said:

5 years was 2014, I assume you where not young not in a position to buy jobs wise in 2008/9?  Their was a 6 month 30%+ crash window from September 2008 to March 2009 when interest rates where highish, the credit crunch was in full effect, but loans where easily available to those more than qualified. There was also a mini 3 month crash after June 2016 Brexit vote, if you found the right house in the right area with a motivated buyer. We bought a 5 bed Terraced in SE in March 2009 (offered December 2008) for "230k that exact same style house on same estate bought in 2006 cost £330k , and sold it for £350k in 2016 (£375 offer excepted before Brexit, but we dropped to complete out chain). The house we bought was SSTC in April 2016 for £540k but that sale was pulled out of after Brexit result and we picked it up for £501k in August 2016, as due to Brexit no competition, desperate retired couple downsizers already deposited to a 2 bed newbuild with a pushy builder threatening to put it back on the market etc. 

And was this a good deal, yeas very much so as the house was only built in 2009 and sold for $450k then, so getting away with only paying £501k 7 years later,  just a £51k rise compared to the £120k rise of the house we sold. But then again our new house is in the same county buy 20 miles further North than the old house, and that 20 miles also saved £100k+ on similar sized houses in a Village.

I find you always need to be looking at the market making mental notes watching prices and several areas and just pounce when the deal is right.

I am glad that you benefited from Brexit!  I often wondered why cheaper houses was meant to be a reason to not have Brexit.

Edited by iamnumerate
22 hours ago, markyh said:

The difference is I believe we will see $100k+ bitcoin in 2021 or sooner and I don't need the money right now, and no one knows where the top is, until it's clear it was. Trust me when I can sell out 50%, pay my CGT bill and clear the mortgage that will be my "risk off" time when I know I will be looking a gift horse in the mouth! For me it's "Time if life", rode the HPI bubble from a £55k house in 1996 to a £500k+ house now, both the wife and I have above average jobs, one company car (this always helps). Well healed, no, but to many on here if you say you have a net family £5k+ pcm income and your mortgage payments are £1600 pcm on a fix not due to end until 2022, you are rich, by labour voter definitions. but I came from council housing and have no A levels or degrees to my name. Just a positive attitude.

The real term is comfortable with options. when you have the option to sell your village "forever house" and buy a 3 bed terraced in a local so so area, but with no mortgage due to your equity, it's easy to take risks on a £2k investment going to £100k in 4 years then £20k a year later, when you see it going to £500k+ in another 3 years. 

If £100k had have been a deposit on a house and out of renting and the hassles (I know rented lots in my life and from 2007-2009 when I STR.) then it would have been off the table, probably sooner. 

I say at least I had the balls to document the 2017 rise, and the 2018 fall, as they happened monthly or weekly, without ever moaning on the way down. What is , is. Shit happens.

i don`t have a positive attitude.  

500k house and 1600 pcm mortgage 

sounds like 150k equity to me ?

20 minutes ago, longgone said:

i don`t have a positive attitude.  

500k house and 1600 pcm mortgage 

sounds like 150k equity to me ?

Out buy £100k+ , the well off get very good mortgage deals! , plus £500k was what we paid for it in August 2016, Brexit deal, £40k of the April SSTC price, and we have done stuff to it, £5k dressing room conversion of a double bedroom for the wife, £2k of custom storage cupboards on top floor landing, added a 16ft x 8ft shed, and I guess if we threw in the £14k of Garden entertaining Rondavel we might get £600k for it. But its the forever house so we haven't had it valued. 

Plus the cherry is the 1/3rd acre garden, which is 90% Paddock brownfield agricultural land, only 10% is actual official garden. But this house and all the neighbours removed the boundary fence and gates have been using their paddock plots as garden uncontested since shortly after the houses where built in mid 2009. So on the 10 year anniversary we all en masse will put in for change of use under the 10 year rule and turn it from brownfield land in "Garden" land, which means it can be built on, which means it's value goes up £££££.

So come 2020 it will be a £ million+ house.

That's life.  

3 minutes ago, markyh said:

Out buy £100k+ , the well off get very good mortgage deals! , plus £500k was what we paid for it in August 2016, Brexit deal, £40k of the April SSTC price, and we have done stuff to it, £5k dressing room conversion of a double bedroom for the wife, £2k of custom storage cupboards on top floor landing, added a 16ft x 8ft shed, and I guess if we threw in the £14k of Garden entertaining Rondavel we might get £600k for it. But its the forever house so we haven't had it valued. 

Plus the cherry is the 1/3rd acre garden, which is 90% Paddock brownfield agricultural land, only 10% is actual official garden. But this house and all the neighbours removed the boundary fence and gates have been using their paddock plots as garden uncontested since shortly after the houses where built in mid 2009. So on the 10 year anniversary we all en masse will put in for change of use under the 10 year rule and turn it from brownfield land in "Garden" land, which means it can be built on, which means it's value goes up £££££.

So come 2020 it will be a £ million+ house.

That's life.  

adverse possession requires enclosement of land to exclude use from all others including your neighbours .

LOL good luck with that one.  

i would send off for a sim form or index map from LR and see what it throws up.  

54 minutes ago, markyh said:

its the forever house

Thats all that counts in the end - I hope it keeps that way for you.

Everyone is free to work things out as they see fit, but you may benefit from advice on how to minimise your tax? After all , if you haven't used your last three year's pension contribution allowance, you can roll it all up into one contribution for this year.

For example, paying a mortgage of £1600 means £30K is being knocked off your Gross salary (because of 40% tax).

If you can clear the mortgage debt, surely you are better off commiting a gross £30K each year from your normal salary into a pension wrapper? (I'm thinking it would cost the same as your £1600 a month and remain in your Gross pay limit)

After 3 years, you have a house fully paid for AND you woudl have put the equivalent £100K back in Bitcoin (If Bitcoin stays at the level it is now).  

Its nice to have options, would be interested to know why you don't do this?

Its all about minimsing tax - and I can't help feeling you are unneccesarily paying shedloads of tax and debt interest rates every year - why?!?

Edited by rockerboy
On 10/01/2019 at 15:11, dougless said:

Not in my experience.  I have met plenty of Central European's who have bought property and are anything but low paid. This doesn't necessarily mean they will remain after Brexit but I think as a generalisation 'migrants = low pay' is not always accurate..

A lot of them have a lax attitude to paying tax. We had one poster here from E Europe who admitted to not declaring, so I dobbed him in ?

14 minutes ago, longgone said:

adverse possession requires enclosement of land to exclude use from all others including your neighbours .

LOL good luck with that one.  

i would send off for a sim form or index map from LR and see what it throws up.  

Its not adverse possession, its "change of use". We all already own the land, its just legally 10% of the Garden is Garden and 90% is Paddock.  But is you change brownfield to gr

Its like those people who build houses in barns or on farmland then stack hay bales around them. Get away with it for 10 years uncontested and you get change of use automatically once you apply. We have all been hiding our Paddock land in plain sight with garden buildings, turf, sheds for ride on movers, huge trampolines, vegetable plots, green houses, ponds, trees, shrubbed borders, end of garden dens with CB radio, home offices builds. 

A relative who is now retired but was in local planning his whole working life, and did work our district in the early 70's has "Marveled" at everyones "Gardens" knowing they are 90% Paddock land and remarked...……….almost everything in every "Garden" needs planning permission and you are all hiding in plain sight. Brilliant. 

Even 3 of the neighbours have built big rear extentions since 2016 under the new relaxed rules, that have eaten up 50% of the original 10% official Garden on have had full planning permission approved by the council, including site visits, the hiding in plain sight is that good.  

So what we are doing is turning Paddock agricultural land into "greenfield" urban garden land. Which means you can ply for planning permission to sell 1/2 of it off build and access road and build another house of whatever, its value goes up £££££.

8 minutes ago, rockerboy said:

Thats all that counts in the end - I hope it keeps that way for you.

Everyone is free to work things out as they see fit, but you may benefit from advice on how to minimise your tax?

For example, paying a mortgage of £1600 means £30K is being knocked off your Gross salary (because of 40% tax).

If you can clear the mortgage debt, surely you are better off commiting a gross £30K each year from your normal salary into a pension wrapper? (I'm thinking it would cost the same as your £1600 a month and remain in your Gross pay limit)

After 3 years, you have a house fully paid for AND you woudl have put the equivalent £100K back in Bitcoin (If Bitcoin stays at the level it is now).  

Its nice to have options, would be interested to know why you don't do this?

Its all about minimsing tax - and I can't help feeling you are unneccesarily paying shedloads of tax every year - why?!?

LOL. No I don't have a spare £250k+ kicking around to clear the mortgage! I wish I did. Hopefully if the crypto investments go the right way I will have it in 3 years time or less!  

2 minutes ago, markyh said:

Hopefully if the crypto investments go the right way I will have it in 3 years time or less!  

There are only three rules when investing.

1) Never lose money

2) Never lose money

3) Never lose money

IMO, you are highly leveraged with your savings "all on red" - Don't ever bet the farm unless you really have to

If you haven't lost money, cash in your Bitcoin, pay off some of your debt and smile, never look back

If you have lost money, cash it in now, pay off some of your debt, wince and don't look back

Either way keep the mortgage payment up at £1600 per month and pay off the mortgage early - you will live longer and happier.

5 minutes ago, rockerboy said:

1) Never lose money

2) Never lose money

3) Never lose money

IMO, you are highly leveraged with your savings "all on red" - Don't ever bet the farm unless you really have to

If you haven't lost money, cash in your Bitcoin, pay off some of your debt and smile, never look back

If you have lost money, cash it in now, pay off some of your debt, wince and don't look back

Either way keep the mortgage payment up at £1600 per month and pay off the mortgage early - you will live longer and happier.

What? I invested £2k in 2013/14 that is now worth £20k, and £9k of SIPP pension money in 2018 which is 40% underwater. Even combined i'm well in the black, plus pension money cant be touched for 5 years and cant be used to pay the mortgage. 

I am perfectly happy for it to either all go to the moon or all go to zero. As long as the mortgage is cleared for my retirement which is the term and the wife can work another 3 years until hers, all is good. Traditional model, upgrade to a bigger houses until you get "Forever House" (2 bed in town, 5 bed terraced-in town, 5 bed Detached in village ), hope you don't get divorced! , retire mortgage free with huge equity.

My wife is not the don't have a summer holiday and pay of the mortgage early type, she is the "I have a final salary pension type" , lets have a holiday every year and when can we borrow more for a big extension on our tiny 200m2 house!

It was a fight, and I mean real fight, crossed words and slammed doors, to get us to stay within our £1200 saved Xmas budget this year, usually we are £500-£1000 over.

Frugal for her was buying a 2 year old £17k EV in 2014 to replace her BMW so save £250 petrol each month. If I wasn't money minded and tough she would bankrupt us and we would arrive at retirement having to sell the house for sure.

44 minutes ago, rockerboy said:

1) Never lose money

2) Never lose money

3) Never lose money

he won`t ever admit his greed was his downfall 

give up 

1 hour ago, markyh said:

Its not adverse possession, its "change of use". We all already own the land, its just legally 10% of the Garden is Garden and 90% is Paddock.  But is you change brownfield to gr

Its like those people who build houses in barns or on farmland then stack hay bales around them. Get away with it for 10 years uncontested and you get change of use automatically once you apply. We have all been hiding our Paddock land in plain sight with garden buildings, turf, sheds for ride on movers, huge trampolines, vegetable plots, green houses, ponds, trees, shrubbed borders, end of garden dens with CB radio, home offices builds. 

A relative who is now retired but was in local planning his whole working life, and did work our district in the early 70's has "Marveled" at everyones "Gardens" knowing they are 90% Paddock land and remarked...……….almost everything in every "Garden" needs planning permission and you are all hiding in plain sight. Brilliant. 

Even 3 of the neighbours have built big rear extentions since 2016 under the new relaxed rules, that have eaten up 50% of the original 10% official Garden on have had full planning permission approved by the council, including site visits, the hiding in plain sight is that good.  

So what we are doing is turning Paddock agricultural land into "greenfield" urban garden land. Which means you can ply for planning permission to sell 1/2 of it off build and access road and build another house of whatever, its value goes up £££££.

assuming planning is gained the planners might like the open feel of the land you have created no need to change it. 

extending domestic curtilage  interesting ?

i will invest in bitcoin if you let me buy a small 2 inch strip between you and the paddock land. 

1 hour ago, markyh said:

My wife is not the don't have a summer holiday and pay of the mortgage early type, she is the "I have a final salary pension type" , lets have a holiday every year and when can we borrow more for a big extension on our tiny 200m2 house!

It was a fight, and I mean real fight, crossed words and slammed doors, to get us to stay within our £1200 saved Xmas budget this year, usually we are £500-£1000 over.

Frugal for her was buying a 2 year old £17k EV in 2014 to replace her BMW so save £250 petrol each month. If I wasn't money minded and tough she would bankrupt us and we would arrive at retirement having to sell the house for sure.

Perhaps you need to read number 2 and maybe number 9?

She could have you for this stringent budget and not letting her have accesss to your finances:

2. Restricting access to finances

Even if they earn more money than you, the law says your partner cannot stop you from accessing cash within the relationship.

9. Forcing you to obey their rules

The CPS says if a partner is forced to abide by stringent rules set by a partner, it could mean they are committing a crime.

https://www.winsfordguardian.co.uk/news/17348877.10-signs-of-coercive-control-within-a-relationship-and-what-the-law-says/?ref=mr&lp=4

27 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

She could have a divorce whenever she wants one, A) she earns more than me and has a final salary pension, I will be kept as I am accustomed, after I change to a dossy job, and have a nice chuck on that pension cash in my old age. 

And I would adapt to my new lower income and she and the kids would implode into poverty within 2 years, house would have to be sold as she would be 45% short on the monthly running costs budget without my input and budgeting. I would fight her to the point of bankrupting her for my share of the house equity and it would destroy her to move into a 2 bed ex-council house surrounded with the people I grew up with.

She knows which way her bread is buttered, she willing pays her wages into my account, and she cars not what any bill costs, just when she gets het next £500 monthly "pocketmoney" allowance on her PAYG Monzo credit card for hair, makeup and her socialising money. 

she can be good though, has just surprised me with a trip for us to Venice to three days for my birthday (somewhere SHE has always wanted to go, hmmmmm, what happen to the Northern Lights trip I hinted at!!!)

9 minutes ago, markyh said:

She could have a divorce whenever she wants one, A) she earns more than me and has a final salary pension, I will be kept as I am accustomed, after I change to a dossy job, and have a nice chuck on that pension cash in my old age. 

And I would adapt to my new lower income and she and the kids would implode into poverty within 2 years, house would have to be sold as she would be 45% short on the monthly running costs budget without my input and budgeting. I would fight her to the point of bankrupting her for my share of the house equity and it would destroy her to move into a 2 bed ex-council house surrounded with the people I grew up with.

She knows which way her bread is buttered, she willing pays her wages into my account, and she cars not what any bill costs, just when she gets het next £500 monthly "pocketmoney" allowance on her PAYG Monzo credit card for hair, makeup and her socialising money. 

she can be good though, has just surprised me with a trip for us to Venice to three days for my birthday (somewhere SHE has always wanted to go, hmmmmm, what happen to the Northern Lights trip I hinted at!!!)

I see you are expecting her to let you live and only take half, instead of bumping you off and taking the lot. Violence does not have to be physical now. Your "real fight" post made me cringe after reading about this sort of stuff recently but it's arguably going off topic so I'm away now.

45 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

I see you are expecting her to let you live and only take half, instead of bumping you off and taking the lot. Violence does not have to be physical now. Your "real fight" post made me cringe after reading about this sort of stuff recently but it's arguably going off topic so I'm away now.

She has hit me in anger a few times in our 17 years together and each time I hit her back harder, once flooring her. That was 2013, she has not tried it since. I never understand these men bullied physically by partners, man or woman, you attack me and i will hurt you more. 

But I rarely start anything physical. 

17 hours ago, markyh said:

She has hit me in anger a few times in our 17 years together and each time I hit her back harder, once flooring her. That was 2013, she has not tried it since. I never understand these men bullied physically by partners, man or woman, you attack me and i will hurt you more. 

You are ripe for the slaughter.

If these women are released based on retrospectively applying the new law, it means that in the future, the next murderesses might not even go to prison in the first place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-45733551

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-15881902

18 hours ago, markyh said:

She has hit me in anger a few times in our 17 years together and each time I hit her back harder, once flooring her.

If you are not making this up, get some professional counselling, both of you.  Now.

Together or separately, doesn't matter as long as both of you get it at the same time.

20 hours ago, markyh said:

And you had kids with her ?? 

I would tell her you sold the bitcoins that way she won't be able to lay claims to the millions later on.:ph34r:

3 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

You are ripe for the slaughter.

If these women are released based on retrospectively applying the new law, it means that in the future, the next murderesses might not even go to prison in the first place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-45733551

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-15881902

That Surrey one is not that far from me.

Apparently the guy was visiting hookers for most of the marriage and mentally played games  with her. She could have walked away I guess but decided to cave his head in. Murder is murder in my book if that case creates a open door for psycho women to kill their boyfriends husband's men are better off going mgtow. If not already.