House Price Crash Forum
crazypabs

400% Council Tax Hike Proposed

I personally would like to see it applied to all thouse houses bought by the foreign money and just sat on empty for purely capital appreciation or Forex gains. That might give an nudge in the right direction.

1 hour ago, longgone said:

why would a house need to be empty for 10 years 

When the UK is confronted by its greatest housing crisis since the 1940s.

1 hour ago, crazypabs said:

I personally would like to see it applied to all thouse houses bought by the foreign money and just sat on empty for purely capital appreciation or Forex gains. That might give an nudge in the right direction.

i cannot see how this can be a bad thing.

Just rent it out at the end of the day what's the problem.

I bet they're not applying the same ruthless logic logic to unused, underused and unnecessary counciil buildings and land.

Just more money grabbing to keep the pensions paid.

I have no idea where these empty houses are?  I don't ever see any.  I do see over crowded houses however.

Why wouldn't anyone keep a property empty and forego rental income is beyond me.  I know the Chinese have thing about second hand property but that can't account for many houses.

5 minutes ago, Tes Tickle said:

I bet they're not applying the same ruthless logic logic to unused, underused and unnecessary counciil buildings and land.

Can see both sides, when there are a few empty homes dotted around no problem.....but when you have areas with many empty homes or homes only used a few weeks a year starts to affect the quality of life of the rest of the local community for example, schools and surgeries closing, local business/shops fall in foot flow, unkempt gardens and buildings, falling local investment, unbalanced demographics etc......so hence the implement of nudges...nudge, nudge. ;)

16 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

When the UK is confronted by its greatest housing crisis since the 1940s.

in times of crisis exploitation can be hidden. 

9 minutes ago, Wayward said:

I have no idea where these empty houses are?  I don't ever see any.  I do see over crowded houses however.

Why wouldn't anyone keep a property empty and forego rental income is beyond me.  I know the Chinese have thing about second hand property but that can't account for many houses.

Depends where you live, but even in London there are growing areas of mainly empty properties alongside overcrowded converted properties/bedsits......those who can sometimes do not want to rent out their property, they want to use it as and when, a bolt hole for friends and family or holiday place airbnb......an investment, store of value, a currency store, part of a diverse portfolio.;)

Just now, winkie said:

Depends where you live, but even in London there are growing areas of mainly empty properties alongside overcrowded converted properties/bedsits......those who can sometimes do not want to rent out their property, they want to use it as and when, a bolt hole for friends and family or holiday place airbnb......an investment, store of value, a currency store, part of a diverse portfolio.;)

Okay but I can assure you there are no empty houses near where I live in south/mid Hampshire.  I walk and cycle a lot and I would see if empty.

4 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Okay but I can assure you there are no empty houses near where I live in south/mid Hampshire.  I walk and cycle a lot and I would see if empty.

I don't know how you can tell that easily, having a light timed to come on or even having a car parked outside doesn't necessarily mean anyone actually lives there.;)

1 hour ago, Tes Tickle said:

Might that be a job for the central government?

Wherever there's a problem there's usually a government official ready to use it as an excuse to take money from people.  This is not about solving problems, it's about increasing council income.  Cynical exploitation of an issue to enrich themselves.

1 hour ago, Wayward said:

Empty as in hardly ever used is probably a lot more common than empty as in completely unused, and probably harder to easily spot.

3 hours ago, longgone said:

why would a house need to be empty for 10 years 

I know of three.

One is probate, owner died and still no relatives found to pass it onto.

The other two are both living in Spain on disability benefits, and have left their old homes to rot.

I would send out letters, get the property occupied within the next 6 months or it will be compulsory purchased for £1 by local council.

35 minutes ago, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

I know of three.

The other two are both living in Spain on disability benefits, and have left their old homes to rot.

I think either people should be squatting in these, or ownership should pass to the neighbours.

59 minutes ago, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

I know of three.

I would send out letters, get the property occupied within the next 6 months or it will be compulsory purchased for £1 by local council.

You can't - compulsory purchase has to be done at open market rate - see https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/571453/booklet4.pdf 

That's why we need to send the council tax on empty properties sky high to encourage selling..  

2 hours ago, Wayward said:

Here's a few maps showing empty houses just in Kensington. I'm sure there are other maps for other areas. 

https://whoownsengland.org/2017/06/18/where-are-the-empty-homes-in-kensington/

3 hours ago, Tes Tickle said:

Some weird rules about council owned buildings... e.g. in some cases County councils have to try and rent/sell a building for 2 years before they change/convert it.

1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

Here's a few maps showing empty houses just in Kensington. I'm sure there are other maps for other areas. 

https://whoownsengland.org/2017/06/18/where-are-the-empty-homes-in-kensington/

That's interesting thanks but politically I take issue with the suggestion that empty houses should be taken and given over to favoured groups as this article suggests.  That just creates more division, injustice and bitterness.  I think better to tax the daylights out of those keeping houses empty so they return to market...

Other than a drawn out probate sale it could be the owner is now in long term care but hasn't the capacity or willpower to sell it.

An increase of 400% might seem a lot unless the empty tax rate is £100pa and £400 is still relatively low.