House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Modular/Manufactured housing comes of age?

Fascinating insight into modern manufactured housing. L&G has a factory the size of many Wembley stadiums gearing up. Other players, too. 

Radio 4 'In Business' programme, 'home truths': https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001vll

Even has a council involved!?

Of course, the remaining problem is the cost of land. Modular housing would be a great match with a LVT.

1 hour ago, highYield said:

Fascinating insight into modern manufactured housing. L&G has a factory the size of many Wembley stadiums gearing up. Other players, too. 

Radio 4 'In Business' programme, 'home truths': https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001vll

Even has a council involved!?

Of course, the remaining problem is the cost of land. Modular housing would be a great match with a LVT.

It's not the house itself that costs a lot - it's usually the land.

I don't get the whole LVT propaganda. You don't often see people asking to be taxed more.

19 minutes ago, chronyx said:

Mortgage lenders lending on these now?

Mobile homes have been around for years.. But the problem has always been the banks not lending on anything that’s not made of brick! 

5 minutes ago, macca13 said:

Mobile homes have been around for years.. But the problem has always been the banks not lending on anything that’s not made of brick! 

Yup. End of thread, rack it with the other thousands. 

On 03/01/2019 at 23:45, flb said:

I don't get the whole LVT propaganda. You don't often see people asking to be taxed more.

A tiny, tiny majority of people/Normans own the vast majority of the land in the UK.

They've done a great job through their MSM mouthpieces spinning LVT as a 'garden tax' - presenting it so that people with 1 acre believe their interests are aligned with those that have tens of thousands of acres.

On 03/01/2019 at 22:45, flb said:

It's not about taxing more, but taxing differently. Tax more wealth, less income. 

2 hours ago, highYield said:

A tiny, tiny majority of people/Normans own the vast majority of the land in the UK.

They've done a great job through their MSM mouthpieces spinning LVT as a 'garden tax' - presenting it so that people with 1 acre believe their interests are aligned with those that have tens of thousands of acres.

Given that it is mostly farm land or given to other agricultural purposes and generally uninhabitable, it's not that big a deal. I believe that England is the most densely populated country in Europe - certainly more than any of the big economies, so the fact that someone 20,000 acres of the Highlands has little impact on me. 

23 minutes ago, Ah-so said:

Given that it is mostly farm land or given to other agricultural purposes and generally uninhabitable, it's not that big a deal. I believe that England is the most densely populated country in Europe - certainly more than any of the big economies, so the fact that someone 20,000 acres of the Highlands has little impact on me. 

And yet English cities are generally low density compared to other similar cities in those same countries

35 minutes ago, Freki said:

And yet English cities are generally low density compared to other similar cities in those same countries

Which would suggest that the countryside is even less densely populated in European cities. Or our cities sprawl  (up to the green belt).