House Price Crash Forum
PeanutButter

London leaver

Anecdote:

Colleague has sold S London 3 bed terrace to commute from...

LINCOLNSHIRE

baby 2 on way but as it’s a boy and they have one already the wife knows she’ll keep punting them out until a girl arrives (‘the Beckham method’) so a big country pile is a necessity along with family assistance with babysitting 

The chain had multiple sales fall through but it’s all firm now. No crazy prices involved.

But blow me, season ticket annual from Grantham is £7620, and spending 3 hours a day commuting is my idea of hell.

2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

But blow me, season ticket annual from Grantham is £7620, and spending 3 hours a day commuting is my idea of hell.

Sounds like hell. Is that 3 hours to work and back? How does anyone manage to spend so much time travelling and function in their jobs come Thursday afternoon or Friday I don't know.

Will ever be an uprising amongst disgruntled commuters who will think : 'Oh f*** it!' and quit their jobs or downshift jobs in protest? I think they should. It would upset the rail companies.

12 minutes ago, MattW said:

Sounds like hell. Is that 3 hours to work and back? How does anyone manage to spend so much time travelling and function in their jobs come Thursday afternoon or Friday I don't know.

Will ever be an uprising amongst disgruntled commuters who will think : 'Oh f*** it!' and quit their jobs or downshift jobs in protest? I think they should. It would upset the rail companies.

This is far from new.  Crawley used to have a car commuter who drove to and from Cirencester daily.

In the late eighties there was something of a run on small Victorian terraced houses in Doncaster. This was because Inter City had (allegedly) made the going easy and the coming back. Which was an advertising slogan around that time. Inevitably, someone wrote "vaseline" on the poster.

It was reported that from 1988 onwards  quite a few of the hapless commuters lost their jobs and homes.

A few years beforehand, Britain's longest distance rail commuter went from Swanage to Waterloo daily.  By steam train when he started. 

In 2001 the then rail company staged an exhibition at Bournemouth station with photos, timetables etc. A sharp eyed lady commuter spotted that a train which ran at around the time she travelled was somewhat faster pre-electrification, which I rather doubt was in line with the exhibition's purpose. 

1 hour ago, MattW said:

Apparently he says it’s 1:10 to Kings X. But he’s got to get into central from there so 1.5 each way easily. 

The new place better be a palace.

14 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Anecdote:

LINCOLNSHIRE

baby 2 on way but as it’s a boy and they have one already the wife knows she’ll keep punting them out until a girl arrives (‘the Beckham method’) so a big country pile is a necessity along with family assistance with babysitting 

The chain had multiple sales fall through but it’s all firm now. No crazy prices involved.

Counting chickens. Places are sold when youve got the cash in your bank.

Commute ... well thats a big If.

If ... you can work 3 days, say Tue->Wed->Thurs in London, travelling down Monday morning, back Thurs night, BnBing Tue + Weds, then its very doable.

12 hours ago, Bluestone59 said:

This is far from new.  Crawley used to have a car commuter who drove to and from Cirencester daily.

In the late eighties there was something of a run on small Victorian terraced houses in Doncaster. This was because Inter City had (allegedly) made the going easy and the coming back. Which was an advertising slogan around that time. Inevitably, someone wrote "vaseline" on the poster.

It was reported that from 1988 onwards  quite a few of the hapless commuters lost their jobs and homes.

A few years beforehand, Britain's longest distance rail commuter went from Swanage to Waterloo daily.  By steam train when he started. 

In 2001 the then rail company staged an exhibition at Bournemouth station with photos, timetables etc. A sharp eyed lady commuter spotted that a train which ran at around the time she travelled was somewhat faster pre-electrification, which I rather doubt was in line with the exhibition's purpose. 

Id hazard the run on Donny terraces were property speculators.

Noone with a job, never mind commuting to one in London would live anywhere near Donny stattion.

Dumb money does what dumbs moneys always done - go down drain.

Once you move to stating 2 nights in London and working 2 days at home then the whole commuterscape opens up.

Yawks just under 2h to KX.

The new big paying employees like google have moved to KX. Indeed any high skilled emplioyee nees to be looking at home working and easy access from a mainline train terminal.

Id rather do 1 or 2 commutes from Yawk than Mon-Fri from the tradiotnal commuter towns.

3 hours ago, spyguy said:

Counting chickens. Places are sold when youve got the cash in your bank.

Commute ... well thats a big If.

If ... you can work 3 days, say Tue->Wed->Thurs in London, travelling down Monday morning, back Thurs night, BnBing Tue + Weds, then its very doable.

Oh he might swap their spare flat in Brighton for a pied a terre in London - but guess what, apparently the flat's not selling 'Nothing is selling down there' :D And not sure the wife will appreciate being left to raise two under 3s (+ however many more babies it takes to get a girl). 

Anyhoo, he's well off and on track for £££ promotion so he'll land on his dancing toes. Thing is though, the promotion would definitely require him to be front facing and available in London...

Edit to add that I've just heard it's a Grade II listed hall...

Edited by PeanutButter

1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

Well - I've seen the house pics. Been on market since 2015. Knocked 300k off it in 2017. 

Average price for area - 250k

Link to rightmove 

Well apparently he used to have a 3 bedrooms house in South London. This is not a fp for a 3 bedrooms. So I guess this is the trade up.

I don't really understand. Maintaining this is going to be a bane. 

1 hour ago, Freki said:

I don't really understand. Maintaining this is going to be a bane. 

Quite. 

I can't fathom the mentality. It's like some sort of illness where people can never have enough. Seeing the heating bill alone would break me. 

On 1/3/2019 at 5:29 PM, PeanutButter said:

Anecdote:

LINCOLNSHIRE

As spyguy mentioned, if he can work-from-home (pretty common in London these days) Mondays and Fridays, then a 3 hour commute, 3 days a week is not that bad. Most people travelling into Central London for work spend about 2 hours (1 hour each way) anyway

He may be able to wrangle Fridays Wfh but he’s the de facto face of our division and if he disappeared home his boss would have to step up and take over, something his boss would definitely prefer not to do.

He’s also required to travel a lot.

I just don’t see the point of it, unless his dream is to own lots of bedrooms no one sleeps in.

19 hours ago, modavid said:

As spyguy mentioned, if he can work-from-home (pretty common in London these days) Mondays and Fridays, then a 3 hour commute, 3 days a week is not that bad. Most people travelling into Central London for work spend about 2 hours (1 hour each way) anyway

Is it really a three hour commute though?

Grantham to Kings Cross is 1hr 15 minutes, but I doubt a house like that is going to be a short walk from the station. I'm not sure if Grantham has a rush hour traffic problem, but driving there and parking will take additional time and cost more.

Then when he gets to London, he's only in Kings Cross, so it's likely he'll need to get the Northern Line down to Moorgate or Bank and I can't imagine that is pleasant at rush hour.

I'd have thought the base commute will be more than two hours each way, and then you have to account for delays. My theoretical door to door commute is 35 minutes, but I rarely do it in less than 45-50 minutes. Add a proportional delay like that to a two hour baseline and it starts to look very painful.

3 hours ago, worried1 said:

Is it really a three hour commute though?

Grantham to Kings Cross is 1hr 15 minutes, but I doubt a house like that is going to be a short walk from the station. I'm not sure if Grantham has a rush hour traffic problem, but driving there and parking will take additional time and cost more.

Then when he gets to London, he's only in Kings Cross, so it's likely he'll need to get the Northern Line down to Moorgate or Bank and I can't imagine that is pleasant at rush hour.

I'd have thought the base commute will be more than two hours each way, and then you have to account for delays. My theoretical door to door commute is 35 minutes, but I rarely do it in less than 45-50 minutes. Add a proportional delay like that to a two hour baseline and it starts to look very painful.

You're probably right. 15min drive to station. 1.15 train. Then get to office 15min. Any delays and it's 2hr+

Then again I'm sure there are plenty of local jobs paying 200k

27 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

You're probably right. 15min drive to station. 1.15 train. Then get to office 15min. Any delays and it's 2hr+

Then again I'm sure there are plenty of local jobs paying 200k

Indeed. These places are a relatively low price because there are only a limited number of London commuters who are interested in them. If that number went down for any reason, the prices would surely crash further because there wouldn't be any locals who could afford them.

In reality, I guess more London commuters will become interested in this type of house. Your colleague obviously has a role with the type of profile that requires him to be in the office most of the time, but there are an increasing number of people on big salaries who seem to be able to work from home a few days a week.

It's a funny contradiction. Work all the hours God gives you to own a beautiful house. Never really get to enjoy the house because you're always working so damned hard....

On 12/02/2019 at 08:03, PeanutButter said:

He may be able to wrangle Fridays Wfh but he’s the de facto face of our division and if he disappeared home his boss would have to step up and take over, something his boss would definitely prefer not to do.

What kind of division needs to see the boss' face every day? As long as he's contactable for decisions and puts in enough face time to maintain relationships that should be enough.

9 hours ago, Dorkins said:

What kind of division needs to see the boss' face every day? As long as he's contactable for decisions and puts in enough face time to maintain relationships that should be enough.

Top dog spends 3 or 4 days a week in UK, rest of the time in Europe or on holiday. 

Second dog does light hours, takes about 60+ days leave and many Fridays WFH.

This chap's only a 3rd level dog. Which means he has to manage half the pups and guide a dozen offices outside UK. Lots of client pitching too. Can't just skype, has to fly, has to press the flesh. 

When one of the other dogs takes early retirement or gets headhunted he'll be able to step into a big leather chair and relax, but until then it's the commute. They'll let you get away with a lot but not if it forces them to work more. 

On 12/02/2019 at 08:03, PeanutButter said:

I just don’t see the point of it, unless his dream is to own lots of bedrooms no one sleeps in.

He should follow suit and drive to work in a double-decker bus. Just him in the bus which is pulling a trailer that has nothing in it either.