House Price Crash Forum

might be an idea to pop this across to the brexit thread?

Think I could have been a remainer with Varoufakis on the levers of power, rather than the likes of Juncker.

1 hour ago, cnick said:

Think I could have been a remainer with Varoufakis on the levers of power, rather than the likes of Juncker.

I've read one of his books - a good bloke, but a little too vain. Still, it would have been fascinating if his plan for Greece had been enacted. Unfortunately, he was stabbed in the back by his own party after da' boyz from the EU had a few words with them. The EU can be a pretty vile organisation when it puts its mind to it...

1 hour ago, cnick said:

Having viewed this, I would agree far more than I ever thought.

Not sure how much individuals on the levers of power can maintain their integrity when they are puppetised.

By this I mean: If he were at the levers of power would he be able to be as honest with his opinion as he (appears to be) right now?

Maybe I am just too much of a cynic.

Edited by Aidan Ap Word
Spelling.

5 hours ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

Not sure how much individuals on the levers of power can maintain their integrity when they are puppetised.

By this I mean: If he were at the levers of power would he be able to be as honest with his opinion as he (appears to be) right now?

He'd never get near them because he doesn't play the game.

14 hours ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

I'd say cynicism is closer to truth than people realise. There are plenty of instances of prior officials of high office changing their narrative when their narrative no longer affects things. 

In fact, it's a subtle trait of people in general.

11 hours ago, Pebbles said:

He is absolutely right the EU and euro is just an annex of the German state. The greeks are just a wet dream of the German banker.

It's only an idiot who tries to take over Europe in the same way as the last two attempts, best try something new

On 03/01/2019 at 16:51, Aidan Ap Word said:

On 03/01/2019 at 22:06, Si1 said:

He'd never get near them because he doesn't play the game.

So - letting the cynic in me run wild - the way to success in politics is to:

i) pick your target job

ii) "play the game" just enough to stay in the game but otherwise speak honestly to the electoral masses

iii) turn to full compliance with the game masters on arrival in the target job

iv) retire and get paid lots for speaking engagements

... and let the world rot whilst you do this ...?

Mondays hit hard some days.