House Price Crash Forum

Boomer Freudian Slips

btd1981

6 hours ago, btd1981 said:

At the annual huge family get together this year, my mother in law (who I like very much) came out with a nice little ice breaker

"Young people these days seem to be under this impression that they've somehow got things harder than we did"

Well that was me thoroughly triggered. Forgetting the own goals, like her and her husband buying a house on their early twenties and raising a family of four by the age of thirty on admin wages, her recently retiring in her very early sixties, I came out with the (knowingly exaggerated) "well you were able to buy a house for about twenty quid".

Her response? "Well in that case we would only have been earning about ten quid a year"

Exactly...

Absolute classic.

I don't really waste my breath anymore with this sort of thing.  It has really dawned on me that supposedly "intelligent", middle of the road, otherwise reasonable people are just thick.  THICK.

You can try and see if they understand this:

real house price trend graph

But........:unsure::rolleyes:  there again......  Some people - actually quite a lot of people - are STILL thick when you show them that.

Edited by eric pebble

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Roman Roady said:

Ahhh, you were "triggered" by an old woman who was making small talk in an attempt to entertain you at the family bash? Poor you. In future stay at home in your safe space.

Here's some new years resolutions for you....Grow up, ease back with the self pity and play the hand you have been dealt.

Damn I always thought you were okay. Has someone hacked your account?

I have played my hand, cheers. Doesn't mean I won't stand up for my generation and those younger than me. My objection was smug small talk between members of the older generations (with a knowing look towards me) which was, objectively, a load of bllcks.

Just now, prozac said:

You can't put your life on hold forever 

There are certain lines you just don't cross.  Adapt and survive.  There are probably quite a few people out there who have - if they're really, really, REALLY lucky - have found a rental at a 'reasonable' price - which they are able to stay in for a fair term......  That is a way to sidestep the absurd & unsustainable "market".  Of course, I realise this is really down to luck. A great deal of luck. But there are SOME people who can swing it - with the wind behind them.:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, eric pebble said:

There are certain lines you just don't cross.  Adapt and survive.  There are probably quite a few people out there who have - if they're really, really, REALLY lucky - have found a rental at a 'reasonable' price - which they are able to stay in for a fair term......  That is a way to sidestep the absurd & unsustainable "market".  Of course, I realise this is really down to luck. A great deal of luck. But there are SOME people who can swing it - with the wind behind them.:rolleyes:

Why should you not cross certain lines, no line is sacrosanct 

3 minutes ago, prozac said:

50% of the advice you receive is good, you just need to work out which it is

You are too strong willed 

I have found, over a fairly long life, that sometimes even 90% of "advice" is utter sh*t.  I definitely know that - just as Captain Kirk says above - I don't do Ponzi schemes either. B)

Edited by eric pebble

46 minutes ago, eric pebble said:

In the end you know your limits.  As a general rule - I NEVER, EVER, EVER listen to anyone who says I "SHOULD" do X, Y or Z.

Neither do I.

But a huge percentage of the population work for someone else, or some corporation - and are often obliged to do so.

53 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

My life isn't on hold. I don't do Ponzi schemes. Neither should you.

Exactly. On one hand people view housing as a financial instrument to make wealth, yet also say “people should settle down” etc. If the former, just like the stock market you wouldn’t buy at a high.