House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

More than 30,000 UK retailers in 'significant' financial distress

The results are actually much better than I thought they would be, but I guess with CPI @ 2.2% and RPI @ 3.2% anything less than that is actually quite bad.

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:18, nome said:

Maybe I'm misusing the word ''tat'' but I'd regard 95% of people who immediately buy the latest iphone /ipad as tat addicted mindless consumer morons.

It's not a class, snobbery or price thing at all.

The definition of "tat" is tasteless or poor quality items (especially clothes, jewellery or ornaments).  It usually applies to cheap, badly made things or to the sort of totally useless 'white elephant' items like gadgets you never use or souvenirs people sometimes buy on holiday, only to throw away as soon as they get home. 

So I'd agree - tat isn't necessarily cheap; I don't think a brand new iPhone is really "tat" - their functionality and manufacturing quality are generally very good - but I do agree those who regularly buy expensive new phones are probably not using their money wisely.

I guess that when times are tough, the ardent consumers not only cut out buying true tat, but also reduce spending on other items, including "nice to have but not critical" upgrades to phones, cars etc and just keep using their old ones until they wear out.  And we see both reflected in all of the current poor retail results.

1 hour ago, winkie said:

People not eating enough?......hoarding enough?.......treating ourselves or others enough?

January is imo going to be a not spending very much month, using up the overflow from December.......this year will be a year of trying not to be wasteful, not eating any or as much meat, creating healthy meals ourselves  from less, being aware of the plastics we buy and discard, the excess packaging on products.....new ways of thinking and acting.😉

Same. Also cutting down on flights, trying to use trains instead.

1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

Same. Also cutting down on flights, trying to use trains instead.

Yes improving the rail network and making it more user friendly.......avoid moving goods around the world on dirty boats, trains and planes......keep it local.😉

38 minutes ago, winkie said:

Yes improving the rail network and making it more user friendly.......avoid moving goods around the world on dirty boats, trains and planes......keep it local.😉

Define "improve". And if it results in more speed for the sake of it, the idea that you need a dozen trains an hour, and a general move to making the whole thing look uglier and more obnoxious then it's not an improvement.

31 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Define "improve". And if it results in more speed for the sake of it, the idea that you need a dozen trains an hour, and a general move to making the whole thing look uglier and more obnoxious then it's not an improvement.

Replace all rolling stock to clean trains, open some of the old railway lines such as portishead to bristol....make the ticket pricing understandable and affordable, reduce prices so that the empty trains are then used......you rarely see empty planes anymore......if someone already has invested in a clean high mpg low tax and insurance car why would they use a train unless there is a good reason to?......I like trains and would love to have a viable reason to use them again.😉

29 minutes ago, winkie said:
 Riedquat said: Define "improve". And if it results in more speed for the sake of it, the idea that you need a dozen trains an hour,

reduce prices so that the empty trains are then used......you rarely see empty planes anymore....

Its astonishing that the train operators don't price dynamically to both fill trains (with the organised) and capitalise on the disorganised by hammering them when only a few seats remain

Re frequency - I confess I'm grateful for 15/30 Central line trains an hour off peak/peak, regardless of demand.  Short of dawdling, refusing to board and the very occasional snag, its pretty much impossible to take longer than 45mins to get from my door to most of Central London.
Bostin.  Not especially green or efficient, but utterly addictive.

16 minutes ago, hotblack42 said:

Its astonishing that the train operators don't price dynamically to both fill trains (with the organised) and capitalise on the disorganised by hammering them when only a few seats remain

Re frequency - I confess I'm grateful for 15/30 Central line trains an hour off peak/peak, regardless of demand.  Short of dawdling, refusing to board and the very occasional snag, its pretty much impossible to take longer than 45mins to get from my door to most of Central London.

Dynamic pricing will make an already complicated system even more so. And people generally travel when they need to - who's going to stand on a crowded train if they can sit on a quiet one, even if the price isn't any cheaper for the latter?

Frequency-wise I find my local one an hour acceptable enough. I'd ask why they're running some of these trains, especially considering all the current grumbles about track and signalling capacity. Fewer, larger trains, running at the time most people use them, would seem to be a better method. Might not be doable in the SE but elsewhere there's been a big shift towards more frequent but very short trains and I don't think that works.

55 minutes ago, winkie said:

Replace all rolling stock to clean trains, open some of the old railway lines such as portishead to bristol....make the ticket pricing understandable and affordable, reduce prices so that the empty trains are then used......you rarely see empty planes anymore......if someone already has invested in a clean high mpg low tax and insurance car why would they use a train unless there is a good reason to?......I like trains and would love to have a viable reason to use them again.😉

Replace them all just to clean them? Seems rather a waste to scrap a train just for that reason instead of simply cleaning it!

One reason that our trains are more expensive than most of Europe is simply because they're not subsidised as much (although the whole model of privatisation we went for seems to exacerbate matters). As I said recently in another thread beware any "improvements" for "efficiency", if they really saved money rail travel should be practically free by now, they've made it much less labour intensive than it was 30 years ago, let alone when it was all steam without ticket prices notably decreasing (although admittedly it all felt like it was falling apart 30 years ago, much more than now).

Edited by Riedquat

Shops suffer worst December in a decade as Brexit fears take toll

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/10/shops-suffer-worst-december-in-a-decade-as-brexit-fears-take-toll

Total sales growth dropped to zero in December for the first time since 2008, with all areas of the high street hit by a fall in sales except food, which benefited from intense competition among the major supermarket chains.

Total like-for-like UK retail sales dropped by 0.7% in the Christmas month, compared with a rise of 0.6% in December 2017.

Over the three months to December, food sales were 0.6% higher on a like-for-like basis and 1.8% on a total basis. However, even this increase was modest compared with the average trend for annual food sales growth, which is nearer 3%.

The British Retail Consortium (BRC) said the slump brought to an end a difficult year in which there were thousands of shop closures and tens of thousands of job losses across the industry.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

Dynamic pricing will make an already complicated system even more so. And people generally travel when they need to - who's going to stand on a crowded train if they can sit on a quiet one, even if the price isn't any cheaper for the latter?

Frequency-wise I find my local one an hour acceptable enough. I'd ask why they're running some of these trains, especially considering all the current grumbles about track and signalling capacity. Fewer, larger trains, running at the time most people use them, would seem to be a better method. Might not be doable in the SE but elsewhere there's been a big shift towards more frequent but very short trains and I don't think that works.

Replace them all just to clean them? Seems rather a waste to scrap a train just for that reason instead of simply cleaning it!

One reason that our trains are more expensive than most of Europe is simply because they're not subsidised as much (although the whole model of privatisation we went for seems to exacerbate matters). As I said recently in another thread beware any "improvements" for "efficiency", if they really saved money rail travel should be practically free by now, they've made it much less labour intensive than it was 30 years ago, let alone when it was all steam without ticket prices notably decreasing (although admittedly it all felt like it was falling apart 30 years ago, much more than now).

If the state/tax payers subsidy had been going towards replacing the trains fair enough, what does the money go towards?.....there are still many buses and trains running on diesel.........but they expect small business to do away with their older vehicles/vans at extra cost, T-charging them to encourage them to buy a newer model when it is already hard enough to run a small business in London whilst trying to live there.....don't you think they should first things first, and get the public transport entities to get their house in order first..... ;)

14 minutes ago, winkie said:

If the state/tax payers subsidy had been going towards replacing the trains fair enough, what does the money go towards?.....there are still many buses and trains running on diesel.........but they expect small business to do away with their older vehicles/vans at extra cost, T-charging them to encourage them to buy a newer model when it is already hard enough to run a small business in London whilst trying to live there.....don't you think they should first things first, and get the public transport entities to get their house in order first..... ;)

Of course there are many trains running on diesel, electrification of anything other than the busiest main lines is just another vanity project (and a godawful ugly mess - long may my local lines remain unelectrified!). Of all the things to get their house in order with spending lots of money on shiny white elephants that tick the current political boxes whilst chucking out stuff that still works perfectly well, it just needs looking after properly, to shout "look, we're being modern!" isn't it.

To take my locality, change them from 4 to 6 at busy times, with some 2+2 instead of 2+3 seating, and look after them properly (and if must have to have the beeping doors and scrolling text displays that have been recently added stop the beeps from screeching and the text displays from flickering) and I'll consider the job done. Would be nice without engine noise (the joys of making almost all trains multiple units) but I'll take that as a lesser evil than wires.

Edited by Riedquat

6 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

And how much of that is down to the extended "Black Friday" deals running pretty much through all of November, pulling demand forward.

I think someone summed it up on a thread on here a few weeks back. They said something like "Retailers expect you to spend a fortune for Black Friday events, then a fortune on Christmas, then a fortune in the Boxing Day sales....."

People just don't have the money.

10 hours ago, hotblack42 said:

45 minutes to central London covers a large chunk of commutable Surrey, its not a particularly fast commute time, albeit its probably cheaper if you can do it on the underground rather than through SouthWestern Railway. 

15 years ago, I used to work with someone that spent a lot of their spare time in shopping centres - Retail Therapy they called it - what a buzz!

Now I work with someone one who spends their evenings ordering stuff online, trying it on, then returning it if they don't like it. Don't know if this has got a name but it sounds exciting! You do get out a bit - to the post office.

My questions to the forum are : So Retail Therapy wasn't a social thing? Is Retail Therapy dead?

Retail therapy is dead apart from in the high end stores. It's still interesting in places like Harrods but otherwise people aren't going to do it.

1 hour ago, Errol said:

Retail therapy is dead apart from in the high end stores. It's still interesting in places like Harrods but otherwise people aren't going to do it.

Went to Windsor yesterday first time in about 12 years.

Tramps all over the place round the castle and most of the shops empty.

Walked into lakes and the till girls saying they only had about 20 customers the whole day.

22 hours ago, frankief said:

15 years ago, I used to work with someone that spent a lot of their spare time in shopping centres - Retail Therapy they called it - what a buzz!

Now I work with someone one who spends their evenings ordering stuff online, trying it on, then returning it if they don't like it. Don't know if this has got a name but it sounds exciting! You do get out a bit - to the post office.

My questions to the forum are : So Retail Therapy wasn't a social thing? Is Retail Therapy dead?

I know at least a couple of people who still say retail therapy and do it, mind you, both are stupid with money

23 hours ago, Errol said:

High end stores are unique.....in unique places, mainly tourists or window shoppers wandering around, walking amoungst the wannabes and wealthy, never know a bit might transfer......like entering a theatre, a different world for a brief moment.....back to life, back to reality, back to the here and now.;)

6 hours ago, winkie said:

High end stores are unique.....in unique places, mainly tourists or window shoppers wandering around, walking amoungst the wannabes and wealthy, never know a bit might transfer......like entering a theatre, a different world for a brief moment.....back to life, back to reality, back to the here and now.;)

indeed  

kadewe in berlin was packed with shoppers happy to hand over vast sums of money for overpriced tat.  i watched a rich german couple pay 4000 euro for a handbag scarf gloves and umbrella. 

Fortnums sold over a dozen of their £6k hampers this Christmas. If rich people want to hand over their money I’m all for it (drawings the line at blood diamonds, naturally).

But reading more, they seem like a jolly decent British business. https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-6509905/Booming-Fortnums-defying-High-St-gloom-Christmas.html

And with the season of goodwill upon us, Venters talks a lot about the importance of kindness in business. 'You can still be competitive and ambitious but if there is kindness at the heart of how you treat your suppliers, your customers, your staff, it will shine through,' he says.

14 hours ago, longgone said:

indeed  

kadewe in berlin was packed with shoppers happy to hand over vast sums of money for overpriced tat.  i watched a rich german couple pay 4000 euro for a handbag scarf gloves and umbrella. 

There are still plenty of people that never look at price, never have done, they have no need to, they prefer scarcity and originality....the kick is they can buy it knowing millions can't.......a price worth paying......as someone used to say on here, special flowers.......we all need the special flowers.😉

3 minutes ago, winkie said:

There are still plenty of people that never look at price, never have done, they have no need to, they prefer scarcity and originality....the kick is they can buy it knowing millions can't.......a price worth paying......as someone used to say on here, special flowers.......we all need the special flowers.😉

i do the same when i visit poundland 

12 minutes ago, longgone said:

i do the same when i visit poundland 

Not everything in there is worth a pound.......you may be overpaying.😉

10 minutes ago, aheadofthecurve said:

One of these days they are gonna stick a sneaky '2' in front of the shop name and catch you unawares :D 

Already the €2 shop....selling the same stuff.😉